Why become a member? ×

A Little History Lesson

blue

Indeed. :mellow:

(Well, not exactly 'nobody'; there are those that love to delve. Most folks are looking to today and the future most of the time, though, and the 'historic' element of all that stuff is, in all proportion, only relevant to a very few :mellow: ...)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1509732403' post='3401313']
Indeed. :mellow:

(Well, not exactly 'nobody'; there are those that love to delve. Most folks are looking to today and the future most of the time, though, and the 'historic' element of all that stuff is, in all proportion, only relevant to a very few :mellow: ...)
[/quote]

I would think John Lennon is as relevant today if not more so as he was 50 years ago.

Your probably right about only a "very few" in terms of historical interest. I guess you had to be there and why I always received high grades in history.

The future? I contend we never have a great grasp of today or the future if we dismiss the past.

BTW what's today, Ed Sheeran? If yes, John gets my vote.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509736506' post='3401346']...we never have a great grasp of today or the future if we dismiss the past...
[/quote]

No-one is dismissing the past, either, but if it's not Sheeran, it'll be another, in the future. It's not over; it goes on ([size=4]and on,[/size] [size=3]and on,[/size] [size=2]and on,[/size] [size=1]and on[/size]...), at least for most of us. B)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1509750748' post='3401473']

No-one is dismissing the past, either, but if it's not Sheeran, it'll be another, in the future. It's not over; it goes on ([size=4]and on,[/size] [size=3]and on,[/size] [size=2]and on,[/size] [size=1]and on[/size]...), at least for most of us. B)
[/quote]

No argument from me on that point. However I would say John Lennon represents the past, today and the future.

I can't intelligently comment on Sheeran because I'm not familiar with his work.

Such an interesting topic. Probably one of the most interesting things I've learned from Basschat is how much bigger and popular The Beatles were and are in The States than in The UK.

It baffles me because you guys always seemed to have a much deeper and intelectual appreciation for rock & roll and rhythm and blues based music than we do.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1509752516' post='3401486']
Having watched the linked video, I'm unsure as to what the lesson is exactly. I love watching this kind of stuff, but I'm confused as to what you mean.

Lennon knew that the comment you refer to would not harm their popularity. If anything, it would probably serve to have the opposite effect.

Again, I'm going to disagree that you [i]had[/i] to be there to appreciate it, but I absolutely agree with you that if we dismiss our (musical) past, then there is little hope for the future of music.
[/quote]

Then we're really not that far apart.

Maybe there's not a lesson.

However do you realize how much more intelligent and socially concious The Beatles came across to us compared to most of our American pop artists at that time, the early to mid 60s?

Some of are recording artist could barely put an intelligent sentence together.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1509752516' post='3401486']

Having watched the linked video, I'm unsure as to what the lesson is exactly. I love watching this kind of stuff, [/quote]

So do I.And I understand it a lot better than I did when I was kid.

Blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1509753649' post='3401492']

Oh yes, I get that. I don't think that was confined to the USA though.
[/quote]

Cool,

You know my parents were from that World War II generation.

They were huge fans of the big bands of their generation. Quite removed from The Beatles but even they knew there was a lot more to those guys than most pop artists.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1509762039' post='3401519']
the youth today have no sense of history, they know nothing about the past.

They think Beiber invented music.
[/quote]

That's fair, as I don't have much sense or interest of the present.

Blue

[/quote]

I think this is actually very far from the truth. In my youth we were part of musical tribes, ignoring anything that wasn’t cool. Now young people are much more able, and in my experience willing, to listen to and enjoy a wide variety of music.

They’re not out there paying £300 for a new box set of Dark side of the moon.

[quote name='Burns-bass' timestamp='1509779763' post='3401535']

I think this is actually very far from the truth. In my youth we were part of musical tribes, ignoring anything that wasn’t cool. Now young people are much more able, and in my experience willing, to listen to and enjoy a wide variety of music.

They’re not out there paying £300 for a new box set of Dark side of the moon.
[/quote]

I completely agree. People I know in their teens and twenties know an awful lot more about a diverse
range of music than most people I knew at that age. Access to YouTube / Spotify etc means that any
reference to influential artists can be easily followed up, with radio / TV and of course the internet allowing
a far greater access to music of all genres. Subsequently younger people will embrace a wide range of
music, and not just a few like we did in the 60’s and 70’s.

My first single at age 3 was All My Loving by Beatles which i still have but i've never really been a huge fan of them as i got older.
Even when i got into the heavier side of music in 70's i never really took artists as influential icons of everyday life.
Of course i appreciated them for producing good music or music i liked.
All the political crap from musicians over the years was irrelevant to me. Their personal point of view on a subject was exactly that, it was only their opinion. Whether i agreed or not was my choice and i preferred to make up my own mind on the subject.

On hearing John Lennon on the DJ not wanting to play Beatles songs again i have to admit i thought it was funny and again they have their own point of view on America and what they thought of the Beatles

I think in my day Rock music was far more popular (Pop) than it is today. Glam Rock was the in thing in early 70's but i found majority of guys had a type of music they followed like Glam Rock, Heavy or Prog rock whereas girls i knew tended to go for the more traditional pop music (within my social circle....at school :D)
I don't think we had the same amount of "manufactured" pop music without talent that we see today. Its far too easy to correct things in a studio these days and i think we've lost a lot of the musicianship in music.

Just my own personal point of view and opinion of course :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509665265' post='3400784']You have to love John Lennon.[/quote]

John Lennon was an interesting guy in interesting times. I like some of his music but as a person? Nah!

John Lennon used to say a lot of things in order to get a reaction. Read the biographies, he was clever and insecure but he wasn't a very nice person. The put down and making others feel uncomfortable was his way of amusing himself.

The bigger the reaction the better and the more he'd try to push the boundaries, until he got to the limit. The irrational over-reaction his (inaccurately reported) "Jesus" comments caused around the world seems to have been that limit. The fact that he put the bands business interests first and publicly back tracked shows that, as always, this was just a throw away line designed to stir things up. After the sniper danger was explained to him his approach changed significantly.

Edited by chris_b

I heard yesterday on BBC 6music that the Beatles' Christmas messages to their fan club members is to be included in another package. I think there were six in total. The word "holiday" was used instead of Christmas on the recordings themselves. I think that shows how open-minded they or their marketing people were were for their time.

I think the way they looked after their fans was good. Was that unique for the time? I mean, they used to post out flexi-discs. Were many bands doing that then?

Edited by SpondonBassed

Whether you like or liked the Beatles you just can't take away their success in their day.
I wouldn't class myself as a fan by any means but every time i hear a Beatles song i thoroughly enjoy it and last year saw a Beatles tribute at a 60th and they were excellent and i knew every song.

Think they started something back then that developed with time. Were they just rebellious in their own way ? who knows but whatever they were doing seemed to work and the record sales even to this day confirm how successful they were as a band.

Dave

[/quote]

No, Biber invented the one-man submarine.
Get your historical facts straight, man! :P

Obligatory disclaimer:
No Biber invented any submarine to my knowledge. The "Biber" submarine got its name after the german word for "beaver".
I guess It's a reasonable name for a narrow tube shaped object with space inside for only one man. :D

Edited by BassTractor

Nice one Blue I enjoyed that. Not seen that footage before.

Talking about being there..
I wasn't, but in July 1962 when The Beatles played the Regent Dansette in Rhyl, North Wales, Pete Best was, shall we say, a bit out of order with an amorous advance on my mum as they were loading out after the show. My mum actually put her stiletto heel through his bass drum as she told him to .... Off!
A couple of weeks later Ringo replaced Best.
There are actually living witnesses to this story as I heard about it from one of my mum's friends first.
Quite a legend my ma.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1509806992' post='3401790']

I wasn't, but in July 1962 when The Beatles played the Regent Dansette in Rhyl, North Wales, Pete Best was, shall we say, a bit out of order with an amorous advance on my mum as they were loading out after the show. My mum actually put her stiletto heel through his bass drum as she told him to .... Off!
There are actually living witnesses to this story as I heard about it from one of my mum's friends first.
Quite a legend my ma.
[/quote]

Now that's a better headline story :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1509806992' post='3401790']

Quite a legend my ma.
[/quote]

Wonderful story.

There's a guy from the UK in his 70s that goes to my gym. He tells me stories about going to see The Silver Beatles at some Theater near his home when he was a teen.

Blue

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1509793331' post='3401665']
I heard yesterday on BBC 6music that the Beatles' Christmas messages to their fan club members is to be included in another package. I think there were six in total. The word "holiday" was used instead of Christmas on the recordings themselves. I think that shows how open-minded they or their marketing people were were for their time.

I think the way they looked after their fans was good. Was that unique for the time? I mean, they used to post out flexi-discs. Were many bands doing that then?
[/quote]

Great memories

I had one of those flexies. I played it over and over

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1509792482' post='3401657']

John Lennon was an interesting guy in interesting times. I like some of his music but as a person? Nah!

John Lennon used to say a lot of things in order to get a reaction. Read the biographies, he was clever and insecure but he wasn't a very nice person. [/quote]

If he was a very nice person he wouldn't have been John.

I loved watching and listening to John being interviewed. Just waiting for that moment when you knew he was going to take some knucklehead reporter down.lol

He could out wit just about anyone.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1509783864' post='3401554']

Even when i got into the heavier side of music in 70's i never really took artists as influential icons of everyday life.
[/quote]

I did, I thought they were my everyday life.

Blue