Why become a member? ×

A Little History Lesson

blue

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1509781421' post='3401540']

Subsequently younger people will embrace a wide range of
music, and not just a few like we did in the 60’s and 70’s.[/quote]

In the 60s & 70s in the States we had so much Top 40 AM radio.

We listened to all of it. The Beatles had their many hits, but so did Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin and all the Motown hits at the same time. We're talking genres that we're generations apart.

We were exposed to it and we listened to all of it.

I respectfully disagree.

Blue

Edited by blue

Think the closest i ever came to being influenced by an artist was David Bowie when i was early teens.
For me Bowie could do no wrong but i don't remember thinking that because Bowie said or thought something that i had to be like him. It was more about his music and the images his songs created in your head. Before Bowie i never really listened to lyrics in any detail.
From then on the lyrics became a big part of the song as a whole for me and moving into the Prog scene after that says it all. My imagination just ran riot after that until Rush 2112.
But that's another story :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509752755' post='3401487']
No argument from me on that point. However I would say John Lennon represents the past, today and the future.

I can't intelligently comment on Sheeran because I'm not familiar with his work.

Such an interesting topic.[b] Probably one of the most interesting things I've learned from Basschat is how much bigger and popular The Beatles were and are in The States than in The UK.[/b]

It baffles me because you guys always seemed to have a much deeper and intelectual appreciation for rock & roll and rhythm and blues based music than we do.

Blue
[/quote]

I don't think that is true at all. Every musician I have had contact with over the last 50 years has agreed that the Beatles were, and to a certain extent still are, the most influential musicians and songwriters in the history of Pop/Rock music. Every release of re packaged Beatles output has charted in Britain. Unlike the Yanks we have never burned there records. :D

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1509813698' post='3401847']
Think the closest i ever came to being influenced by an artist was David Bowie when i was early teens.
For me Bowie could do no wrong but i don't remember thinking that because Bowie said or thought something that i had to be like him. It was more about his music and the images his songs created in your head. Before Bowie i never really listened to lyrics in any detail.
From then on the lyrics became a big part of the song as a whole for me and moving into the Prog scene after that says it all. My imagination just ran riot after that until Rush 2112.
But that's another story :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave
[/quote]

Your not alone Dave.

I'm a product of the 60s and several of the guys I grew up with went in the Prog direction.

For me I wanted to keep things fun and simple. I spent a lot of last night listening to Paul Revere & The Raiders and Gary Lewis & The Playboys.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1509821346' post='3401907']
You had WABC 'music radio'
We had the Light programme (and Radio Luxembourg)
The difference was amazing (listen to Dan Ingram sometime)
I'm sure there's a link to the kulure stuff here.........

:ph34r:
[/quote]

Yup, Cousin Brucie on WABC and I think Dan Ingram was one of the WMCA Good Guys.

I had that little transitor radio under my pillow every night.

Good Days!

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1509815953' post='3401858']

I don't think that is true at all. Every musician I have had contact with over the last 50 years has agreed that the Beatles were, and to a certain extent still are, the most influential musicians and songwriters in the history of Pop/Rock music. [/quote]

And rightly so.

Interesting, because I see more of the " I don't get what the big deal was' sentiment than your rightous and astute position.

Agreed

Blue

There's been some pivotal moments in the history of popular music over the years i've been listening to music.
These are probably the highlights in my own humble opinion but i'm pretty sure others will have their own idea of what was a major turning point for popular music
Elvis
Beatles
Psychedelic
Glam Rock
Punk
Heavy Metal

I've deliberately missed out the music i was more into like Heavy Rock and Prog as i think they were follow ons from Beatles and Psych kind of thing in my mind.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509823621' post='3401930']
And rightly so.

Interesting, because I see more of the " I don't get what the big deal was' sentiment than your rightous and astute position.

Agreed

Blue
[/quote]

It's okay Blue. The silent majority just [i]knows[/i] what a big deal it was. Many world changing things happened as a result of the sixties though. Lots more things were happening in the world that drove the youth towards self-empowerment after years of post-war austerity.

You have to remember that what passes for common knowledge these days is influenced heavily by social media. I mean EVERYONE knows who "came up with" the word [i]fake[/i] don't they? I feel so [i]phony[/i] right now.

[url="http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/11/02/fake-news-collins-dictionarys-word-year-2017/"]http://www.breitbart...word-year-2017/[/url]

(I would advise anyone following the link above to look up Breitbart News before, during and after you read the article.)

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509823621' post='3401930']
And rightly so.

Agreed

Blue
[/quote]

I think that is more from younger people who fail to put them in context. If they looked back at what pop music was like before the Beatles came along, and where it was at just 7 years later, they would be amazed. They also fail to note that before the Beatles most pop acts did not compose there own material, let alone write stuff for many other performers. Even the Stones tried to follow the Beatles with "There Satanic Majesties", then decided it was easier to stick to R n B.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1509815953' post='3401858']
the most influential musicians and songwriters in the history of Pop/Rock music.
[/quote]

This is my problem with the Beatles, or at least with those who say this sort of thing...
It's never "among the most influential", or "they were very influential", it's always "they were the most influential musicians ever". And there's no argument allowed.
The answer to any dissent from that position is "you don't appreciate history", or "you weren't there, how could you understand?"
I personally feel that having such an intractable position is an insult to all the other great innovators in music, some of whom made very little money and got none of the adulation and worship (and huge piles of cash) that the Beatles got.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1509871772' post='3402150']
This is my problem with the Beatles, or at least with those who say this sort of thing...
[/quote]

Darned right, Lenny, but adulators gotta adulate, y'know. A list of 'influences', and their (relative...) 'importance' could be very long indeed, and if charted would look more like a bowl of spaghetti than a pyramid; probably quite different if set out by each of us, too. Still, it amuses some, and keeps 'em off the streets, so little harm in the exercise. How does the song go..? 'Let the children play'..? :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509736506' post='3401346']............

The future? I contend we never have a great grasp of today or the future if we dismiss the past.

BTW what's today, Ed Sheeran? If yes, John gets my vote.

Blue
[/quote]
[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509752755' post='3401487']

I can't intelligently comment on Sheeran because I'm not familiar with his work.

[/quote]

This kind of shows the futility of this sort of discussion :lol:

On a side note regard influence , Mr Sheeran headlined Glastonbury , on his own , to 80,000 peeps on site and countless millions worldwide (live) , he writes all ( or most) of his own songs , and he's a ginga ;) , now , if that doesn't turn out to be a massive influence on countless numbers of people for their future musical ambition and inspiration I would be astonished.

I am not a great fan of Mr Sheeran , though I have seen him, but I saw the Glasto set on TV and was mightily impressed.

I don't know why we need all these Beatles threads, in fairness we were due one as it's been a while since the last batch but what I always get is that somehow the uber fans want recognition purely for being born at the right time.

It's like football fans "we won on Saturday", oh did they have to ask for members of the crowd to play?

I'm not patriotic in any way and I think that extends to bands and sports, I like Ducati to win but I don't feel like I need any praise when they do likewise bands I like to go and see, I haven't contributed in any way to their musical output just as Blue didn't as a five or six year old when the Beatles formed.

Fwiw I prefer The Kinks :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1509868019' post='3402121']
If we're doing controversial dinner parties, I'd like to be a fly on the wall at a W.I. dinner to which Oliver Reed has been booked as the guest speaker.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah that would be interesting and highly entertaining. :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1509879898' post='3402227']
I don't know why we need all these Beatles threads[/quote]

That's democracy for ya!

I only jump into these threads when someone starts posting, "The Beatles were just another band". Like them or not (I was a Stones fan) the Beatles were never, [i]ever[/i], "just another band".