Why become a member? ×

Holger Czukay found dead.

Cestrian

How sad, I still listen to Can fairly regularly, great band and his bass playing was such an essential part of the sound. Loved his solo albums as well. That's Holger and Jaki gone now.

I'll have a listen to Ege Bamyasi in his memory right now.

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1504703367' post='3366726']
Absolutely, and the tour-de-force that is Tago Mago.
[/quote]

I thought of that, but not sure I can listen to that in daylight! Vitamin C had with sitting here with tears in my eyes. Playing it again right now.

I went to see them in Manchester in the 70s, but the gig was cancelled because Irmin Schmidtt had injured his arm carrying some sort of domestic equipment down stairs (I think it was a fridge!)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1504703629' post='3366731']
I thought of that, but not sure I can listen to that in daylight! Vitamin C had with sitting here with tears in my eyes. Playing it again right now.
[/quote]

I know what you mean, their stuff is emotionally overwhelming. Not so much listened-to as experienced. Which is what music is, or should be.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1504703816' post='3366736']
I know what you mean, their stuff is emotionally overwhelming. Not so much listened-to as experienced. Which is what music is, or should be.
[/quote]

Yeah, I can only listen to a few songs of theirs at a time, it just gets too much after a while. Background music it certainly isn't!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1504691404' post='3366556']
How sad, I still listen to Can fairly regularly, great band and his bass playing was such an essential part of the sound. Loved his solo albums as well. That's Holger and Jaki gone now.

I'll have a listen to Ege Bamyasi in his memory right now.
[/quote]

Michael (Karoli) as well.

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1504715557' post='3366859']
Great quote from the man himself >

'The bass player is like the king in chess. He doesn't move much, but when he does he changes everything'
[/quote]So true, I remembered seeing them on the Old Grey Whistle Test many moons ago when I was just a sprog, and their music went a little bit over my head at the time (probably due to the fact that I used to watch it after coming home from the pub, but then I came across "Little Star Of Bethlehem" on YouTube a couple of year's ago and I was hooked on there music, yes, the bass line is quite repetitive, but when it changes it certainly does change everything!
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--0kT_v13xs"]https://www.youtube....h?v=--0kT_v13xs[/url]

Edited by thebrig