Why become a member? ×

Is 'Headless' about to come back into fashion?

ARGH

[quote name='Prosebass' post='320835' date='Nov 3 2008, 12:22 PM']I have even though of putting a 40 watt amp and 2 x 6" bass drivers built into the case for a totally portable set-up weighing in at around 10 kg's[/quote]

A case that doubles as an amp? Now that would be cool. I still wouldn't buy one though!

I also was not a fan particularly until my back started playing up.
I got a hohner from a fellow Bchatter and now have moved up to a Status Streamline, I am now a convert.
I still play my Stingrays but just at home sat down.
It now feels a hell of a stretch to reach the tuners though!

The great thing these days is there is a reasonable choice of headed and headless instruments at a variety of price points with decent quality.
When I started playing in the 70's this was not the case.
Players of all levels and ages are the better off for this.
It would be a mighty depressing and GAS free environment without the choices now on offer.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='320665' date='Nov 3 2008, 08:33 AM']I go for the point of practicality & weight distribution. Headless is king![/quote]

+1 on that.

At no point in my life have I ever followed fashion/trends, whether it be haircuts, clothes, music listened to or anything else. This did often make me look a total tw*t, but at least I was a tw*t on my own terms! First time I ever saw a headless status I thought that it looked brilliant, even though I didn't play bass at the time. Took many many years before I actually got one.

Curiously enough, I'm looking to get a headed bass now. I'll always love the look of headless basses though.

A bass player who I personally rate, Mick Quinn from Supergrass now uses an L-Series Steinberger, in favour of his usual Ibanez Blazer - quite a change.

Still couldn't bring myself to have one though...

Edited by nick

You lot know that I'm a reactionary-old-fart-Precision-loving-Fender sort of a guy. But the only bass I seriously considered buying, and more to the point, gigging, was a Washburn version of a Status S2. Balance was 1st rate, it fitted into any old guitar gig bag or case, it didn't need stupidly expensive double ball end strings, and it played REALLY well.
Quite likely, if I'd had the money, I'd have got it, ripped out the actives (it didn't sound too nice to my ears), and would be playing it now. If I could have one with a single passive spilt-coil, I would.
So, there is something good about headless, even for me!

[quote name='Wil' post='320696' date='Nov 3 2008, 09:31 AM']I think to come back into fashion, they would need to have been in fashion in the first place, right? :huh:[/quote]

MB1. :)
And heres me thinking they never have gone out of Fashion?.

I've always liked headlesses. I have a Hohner B2A Steinbugger copy and I really appreciate the light weight, balance - & odd looks it attracts. :huh: I do think on balance I'd prefer a full-size - or at least slightly larger body.

I've had a long-held ambition to build/have built a twin-neck headless fretted 4 / lined fretless 5. In a moment of idleness I came up with this as a rough idea:

Theoretically this wouldn't be physically much bigger - and therefore not that much heavier - than a conventional bass. The ultimate prog nightmare bass? :)

Jon.

2 Things....

1. Wooleydick had his Hohner from me.... believe me that Hohner with 1/4pounders and wired v/v/t was HUGE.....

2. Hohner have done the twin neck headless 1x 4 string fretless and 1x4 string fretted just as your photoshop! I've seen pics of one and have played a 6 string geetar and 4string bass headless Hohner so they are out there..... somewhere.

The only thing that has so far put me off the headlesses that are out there, is so far I have only found skinny Jazz style necks, which sadly I dont get on with (hence I sold the Hohner to WD) .... anyone do a 4 string with 17+mm spaging at the bridge and 9mm spacing at the zero fret and I'll have one, why....?

They are just so bl88dy easy to play .....

After learning to play on an old Hondo11 copy of Fender precision,which was like
having to grab a large tree I was delighted that when it was time to buy
my first 'proper' bass My friend & teacher recommended a Washburn Status.

I have a few basses , but this has been the main bass most of the time.
I managed to get a Steiney custom xm2 a few years back , from a German evil bayer.
After a small repair it may be my fave bass now.
I really want the Trans trem /whammy bar one tho'.

When you see some of the pubs that you can play, the headless is perfect.
They also don't upset the drummer when you turn around!

G**ta$$tists are the main objectors to headless. Too many seem
to be worried about how it looks.
I suppose that headless wouldn't look right playing Slayer etc. which I love,
but they are perfect for cover bands of any material.

I don't think they are back in fashion -yet!
If they do , I may make a bit of cash on my original steiney when I get old.
At the moment it looks like imho that Gibson Thunderbirds are poular right now.

I did have a Hohner professional once, and somebody thought it was a gun!
Also, a guitarist from a previous band told me to be careful in his neighbourhood....

One other thing, I think that the full bodied headless look cooler.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='321290' date='Nov 3 2008, 08:22 PM'].... anyone do a 4 string with 17+mm spaging at the bridge and 9mm spacing at the zero fret and I'll have one, why....?[/quote]
Status standard string spacing for 4 strings is 18+mm at the bridge, I don't know about the zero fret string spacing though.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='321292' date='Nov 3 2008, 08:24 PM']I have a few basses , but this has been the main bass most of the time.
I managed to get a Steiney custom xm2 a few years back , from a German evil bayer.
After a small repair it may be my fave bass now.
I really want the Trans trem /whammy bar one tho'.[/quote]
I've seen one on Ebay recently, but it was the XL2 rather than the M-series. The transtrem basses are very uncommon, not many were made. I would be VERY careful about buying a transtrem as the string anchor jaws are known to be brittle and you need to be careful about wear on the arm and pivoting parts. However its possible to buy replacement parts but at a cost. There is one company in Korea who are offering a replica TransTrem for guitar but, because the original units have been going for $700, they've priced theirs at only slightly less.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='321290' date='Nov 3 2008, 08:22 PM']The only thing that has so far put me off the headlesses that are out there, is so far I have only found skinny Jazz style necks, which sadly I dont get on with (hence I sold the Hohner to WD) .... anyone do a 4 string with 17+mm spaging at the bridge and 9mm spacing at the zero fret and I'll have one, why....?

They are just so bl88dy easy to play .....[/quote]
2 words...JIM FLEETING

My custom made Shuker (in production) couldn't be anything other than headless, as it has the 2 extra frets on the E string (Kubicki style) & a bend well across the other strings.

Headless makes sense, easier on small stages, better balance, smaller cases and less space.

BC Rich do a non-headless headless guitar, with their quick loader strings. No tuning pegs, but still a headstock.