Why become a member? ×

Is 'Headless' about to come back into fashion?

ARGH

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='323004' date='Nov 5 2008, 09:44 PM']How many of you anti-headless people have actually played one, I wonder...? You may very well reject things on looks, but when the practicalities outweigh your tastes, there's no argument really.

Just to show I'm not a one-brand man, I've really loved the look of these since Warwick reissued them this year...
I give you the Warwick Nobby Meidel signature bass :)

I love how they've mixed a comparitively low-tech solution with such incredible materials!

Rich.[/quote]

How do you put it down?

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='323598' date='Nov 6 2008, 05:46 PM']How do you put it down?[/quote]
Good question. I remember these from last time 'round and still think the conventional bridge & guitar tuners stuck on the end is a half-arsed bodge which almost makes it look like it was knocked up in a shed.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='323612' date='Nov 6 2008, 05:54 PM']Good question. I remember these from last time 'round and still think the conventional bridge & guitar tuners stuck on the end is a half-arsed bodge which almost makes it look like it was knocked up in a shed.

J.[/quote]

ouch.....hard words for a Warwick....you will reap the wrath of someone saying things like that.
It is hideous and I have just spent all afternoon designing around just that problem . I am using a combined tuner / bridge ala Steinberger and if I extend the body past the tuners it looks wrong. If I shorten the body the tuners stick out and you cannot stand it up without risking damage.
A problem indeed...

[quote name='ARGH' post='323655' date='Nov 6 2008, 06:42 PM']Yeah,That ran through my head too? Has Hans AGAIN stolen an idea/design?[/quote]
If you're referring to Hans Wilfer stealing the Spector shape, he actually licensed the body shape from Stuart Spector originally. If not, which shape were you referring to?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='323681' date='Nov 6 2008, 07:29 PM']If you're referring to Hans Wilfer stealing the Spector shape, he actually licensed the body shape from Stuart Spector originally. If not, which shape were you referring to?[/quote]
And ,If I recall,was threatend with legal action,because the license was not renewed. And had to again be re-renewed when Spector regained the rights to his company and patents.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='323692' date='Nov 6 2008, 07:45 PM']And ,If I recall,was threatend with legal action,because the license was not renewed. And had to again be re-renewed when Spector regained the rights to his company and patents.[/quote]
Indeed, so lets be clear that [i]technically[/i] its not stolen at all because there [i]are[/i] sufficient differences between the shapes. It's just that [i]in your opinion[/i] the shape is stolen. I don't think you don't make that clarification often enough in what you post.

Besides which lets not forget Fender clones, Behringer, Status clones, Pangborn borrowing the Jaydee shape which was borrowed from the Alembic Series 1/2, then Alembic used the Fender Dual Showman preamp design which was borrowed in turn by Trace Elliot and then Hartke, blah blah blah.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='323761' date='Nov 6 2008, 09:48 PM']Indeed, so lets be clear that [i]technically[/i] its not stolen at all because there [i]are[/i] sufficient differences between the shapes. It's just that [i]in your opinion[/i] the shape is stolen. I don't think you don't make that clarification often enough in what you post.

Besides which lets not forget Fender clones, Behringer, Status clones, Pangborn borrowing the Jaydee shape which was borrowed from the Alembic Series 1/2, then Alembic used the Fender Dual Showman preamp design which was borrowed in turn by Trace Elliot and then Hartke, blah blah blah.[/quote]
Well,not my opinon...but the Opinion of Spectors company and its associates,enough to warrent legal terms and thus the said deal,as reported in Bassplayer magazine,sometime in the 90s..If I recall correctly its was Spectors daughter that broke the news of the deal....the likeness was a little too close,as the issue was the 'Shape' of the Corvette model iirc.

Correct me if Im wrong,but as you say identity theft of an idea is rife,double locking trems....P/U design.

I dont think Spector or Warwick are looking at one post on a forum and are going to sue me or you for slander ...liable..whatever.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='323779' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:12 PM']Well,not my opinon...but the Opinion of Spectors company and its associates,enough to warrent legal terms and thus the said deal,as reported in Bassplayer magazine,sometime in the 90s..If I recall correctly its was Spectors daughter that broke the news of the deal....the likeness was a little too close iirc.[/quote]
OK, I'm interested to know why they didn't press ahead with legal action. Maybe they didn't register the body shape as a trademark outside the US perhaps. Still, a lot of it goes on. :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='323785' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:17 PM']OK, I'm interested to know why they didn't press ahead with legal action. Maybe they didn't register the body shape as a trademark outside the US perhaps. Still, a lot of it goes on. :)[/quote]
I now have a box of Bassplayer mags to go through...

IF I am right,the deals had to be done because Stuart Spector DIDNT own the company at the time...or the Spector name,he had,or was operating under the SSD name..(Stuart Spector Design)..which had no affiliation with Spector Products or their workings,designs,patents,Trademarks etc etc,he gave them up when he sold the Company in the 80s..who to I dont recall,but basically it became Fender..to G&L...in a smaller fashion (or not as the case was)..He created the shapes,models (with help from Ned Steinberger)..the lot..but had no rights or monies going for them to himself....he sold the idea,basically...

He had to fight tooth and nail to regain the original company name and trademarks......and I think the company may have not had a worldwide patent on body shapes,OR Wilfer was using the shape,whilst Spector (The company) was being mothballed..or in a defunct status...like say..Moonstone..or Kramer before the comeback.....

First deal after regaining the name was the recall on bodyshape liscense and patents...in this case,I think you can agree that Wilfer's company was using the NS shape (The classic Dave LaRue,Phil Soussan,Bob Rock..so session bass) as a body even up to the headstock....it was a case of admittance I feel,hense we have the copyright or similer thingy in the corner of Warwick ads when we see a Corvette model.

Edited by ARGH