Why become a member? ×

Is 'Headless' about to come back into fashion?

ARGH

Hi,

Well, no arguements about them here... infact all I can see is benefits to playing them. A lot of bass players are realising that we don't have to have big heavy back killing stacks any more and the same goes for the instruments we play. - At the end of the day it's all down to personal taste, though it does seem that to some, the thought of a headless bass is almost as ghastly as one that has more than 4 strings! *wink*

I love the idea of getting a bass that will fit into a guitar sized case.. It's gonna make loading the car easier, right! I love the idea of turning up with a bass that looks unusual and eye catching.. Who wants to be just like everyone else? he he! I'm also really looking forward to the benefits that are offered by using headless hardware. Lightning fast string changes (which for a six string is a definite bonus!!) playability and the *that* tone I seem to hear from quality headless basses. Must be something about the zero fret and big ass nut clamp? - or is it that the strings are anchored at the nut and do not traverse further down the headstock? - Maybe thats a completely different discussion!!

These are just a few reasons why I like headless basses and I think they have a definite place in the bass players arsenal.

Headless makes so much practical sense to me as well, especially for 5 strings or more. For me its mainly the balance. The lack of a headstock makes the instrument feel much more comfortable to wear. The looks aren't such an issue, although some body shapes work and others don't. There's definitely a modern aesthetic associated with headless instruments where the body shape is that much more important, its not just a question of whipping off the headstock on a p-bass and saying there y'go.

However I don't believe they're making a "comeback" as such.

I can only repeat what Dood said. I can't think of any disadvantages , just a host of advantages. I've said before - I've sure I've actually saved peoples teeth in small venues by using a Status.

Are they coming back??

I wasn't aware they'd gone anywhere.

Maybe they have a strong assocciation with the 80's and gaudy paint jobs - maybe that was the trendy thing in certain music gendres , and there'll always be a negative reaction to a trend when it ends - but these days I see them played in all styles of music. There have been many radical design features that have faded quickly into oblivion over the years but I don't think headless is one of them.

I had a quick play on someone's headless Status a few years ago and my left hand kept getting lost. I didn't like it then.

This year I had the opportunity to play a headless Sei at The Gallery and it felt great. My left hand had no issue with fretboard placement. Can't explain why this has changed. I can only assume that it's because i've been trying not to stare at the fretboard while I'm playing and my left hand has developed some kind of muscle memory which puts it in the right place for most 34" necks (headed or headless).

I'm still put off by the thought of having to purchase 'special' strings for headless.

Edited by peted

[quote name='peted' post='320805' date='Nov 3 2008, 11:44 AM']I'm still put off by the thought of having to purchase 'special' strings for headless.[/quote]

Aha... I buy them in bulk from Status.... Hotwires.... pretty good strings too, nice round sound, smooth feel.... and extremely good value... 5 string sets for less than £20.00

[quote name='crez5150' post='320816' date='Nov 3 2008, 11:55 AM']Aha... I buy them in bulk from Status.... Hotwires.... pretty good strings too, nice round sound, smooth feel.... and extremely good value... 5 string sets for less than £20.00[/quote]
Still not convinced :) When the ratio of headless to headed matches that of 5 strings to 4, then I might be convinced to switch. At the moment they just seem a little too [i]niche[/i] for me. That's just my perception of them.

I did'nt like the look of headless before i played one.

But as soon as i did all the rest just felt off balance to me. I'm borrowing a Bass of my mate on long term loan till i get cash together for a decent bass, and i still cant get used to how heavy the top end is.

A headless for me is bang on, The body hangs on my thigh & the neck across my chest. exactley where i want it to be.

I want another headless & i really hope it does not become fashonable, i love being an oddball

Edited by fumps

I hope this thread will develop as I for one like headless basses so much I am developing some at the moment.
To take the portability one step farther I am working on a 28 1/2" scale headless model with a slightly smaller body than standard and another one that will make a Steinberger look bulky !
To keep string tension high I am using 115-95-75-55 string sets which aids the action as well. I am hoping to get the whole package in a case 32" x 14" which looks tiny at the side of a full size case.
I have even though of putting a 40 watt amp and 2 x 6" bass drivers built into the case for a totally portable set-up weighing in at around 10 kg's

any thoughts welcome.