Why become a member? ×

Nile Rodgers

Cato

Saw them in Glasgow a few weeks ago - unbelievable - best thing was it was a TINY venue by mistake standards at the kelvingrove bandstand which meant unlike some of these monster new venues like the hydro, no matter where you were stood or sat you were right in front of them, loved it. Glasto looked amazing as a totally different atmosphere

I only started playing bass at 28 on a whim and I soon realised all the music I already loved was either by him, produced by him or influenced by him, was a big deal for me to see him live!

Watched the set on iPlayer. Funky as hell, plus a great reminder of how many other peoples' songs Nile has worked on behind the scenes over the years and what a legend he's become. I'd honestly forgotten that he produced Let's Dance for Bowie until they played it.

And Jerry played his arse off.

I don't care that he plays more notes with a brighter tone than Bernard did. He's entertaining. It's a gig, they're supposed to be entertaining. Every member of the band should put their 2p's worth in, and Jerry put in the full quid. I could understand him being criticised if he had lost the groove, but at no point was he anything less than funky and in the pocket.

Ever seen any footage of old Bernard-era Chic gigs? He didn't play the stuff the same as the record either, he embellished, he slapped, he had fun with it, which is exactly what Jerry was doing.

One thing to never forget is that, when someone books a band, they're booking 'entertainment'. So part of your job is to be entertaining and to draw the audience in. In this regard, Jerry Brown does his job very, very well.

Jerry Barnes ain't bad either! ;)

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1498830853' post='3327424']
Watched the set on iPlayer. Funky as hell, plus a great reminder of how many other peoples' songs Nile has worked on behind the scenes over the years and what a legend he's become. I'd honestly forgotten that he produced Let's Dance for Bowie until they played it.

And Jerry played his arse off.

I don't care that he plays more notes with a brighter tone than Bernard did. He's entertaining. It's a gig, they're supposed to be entertaining. Every member of the band should put their 2p's worth in, and Jerry put in the full quid. I could understand him being criticised if he had lost the groove, but at no point was he anything less than funky and in the pocket.

Ever seen any footage of old Bernard-era Chic gigs? He didn't play the stuff the same as the record either, he embellished, he slapped, he had fun with it, which is exactly what Jerry was doing.

One thing to never forget is that, when someone books a band, they're booking 'entertainment'. So part of your job is to be entertaining and to draw the audience in. In this regard, Jerry Brown does his job very, very well.
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Will Lee above....damn, he even looks like a bassist [/font][/color] :rolleyes:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...brilliant. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This whole thing is a bit crazy. Yes Bernard was my absolute bass hero back in the day but I doubt there is anyone here that ever saw him play live. Jerry Barnes is a terrific showman and what he does whilst nothing like Bernard is great, just what the crowd needs.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Have to say though when ever I see Chic I always feel a bit sad. Nile and Bernard were Chic..its still not the same, never will be. The guy was an extraordinarily original musician. [/font][/color]

[quote name='oldbass' timestamp='1498857797' post='3327663']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Will Lee above....damn, he even looks like a bassist [/font][/color] :rolleyes:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...brilliant. [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Fantastic bass player - in fact wonderful bass player but I thought he looked rather like Bernie ahem...... Eccleston

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1498858535' post='3327673']
I'm sure someone here will have seen Bernard live?
[/quote]

I really kick myself but I was gigging in 1979 when they played, and my former wife and most of my mates saw them - infuriating!! Here's a bit of Mr Edwards' magic with Chic. Lovely fat bass sound - my absolute bass playing idol.

http://youtu.be/_lx2NUmxTQ0

He was - he had chronic flu and had been told by doctors not to do the show - he died that night.

[quote name='oldbass' timestamp='1498893935' post='3327781']
.... those Sledge girls, mmmm.
I actually think he looks really ill in that clip. Notice he does'nt move an inch and freeze it at 2.26, not looking good at all.
[/quote]

[quote name='oldbass' timestamp='1498893935' post='3327781']
I actually think he looks really ill in that clip. Notice he does'nt move an inch and freeze it at 2.26, not looking good at all.
[/quote]

On Niles blog he says looking back at the video remembering it (when they were playing good times), Bernard had already fainted and got up, but he kept forgetting to play and hadn't come forward to sing. So not really a good example of his performance.

It seems most (all?) the (Beeb) Glastonbury Chic 2017 YouTube videos have vanished, still loads of other Beeb material from Glastonbury that has not been removed though.

There are quite a lot of Chic and Nile Rodgers Videos from the last twenty or so years up on YouTube, with a variety of different Bass Players.
I didn't realise that Nile Rodgers toured and gig so much (someone did mention it in a previous post).

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1498901868' post='3327838']

So not really a good example of his performance.
[/quote]

I agree but the point is even in such dire circumstances the solidity, groove and sound of the bass is still a central contribution to the song. I'm still mesmerised by his playing and sound even in that situation, sad though it is based on what we know now. In-built and unique funk machine.

Stonkingly good performance. Had me grinning like a loon and almost tearful at times.

Jerry Barnes was great and got everyone talking about his playing. Which other bass players managed that at Glastonbury this year... maybe Thundercat? Yeah. And I bet he yanks the same chains ;)

... and a good example here starts at 1 min 24 secs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-T7UHH6HPc

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1499087527' post='3329053']
Actually Nile can play a tasty bit of lead when he wants. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbSc-2IzXzM[/media]
[/quote]

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1499036226' post='3328787']
WARNING! Controversial opinion coming up...

Nile Rodgers is a brilliant funk rhythm guitarist and a cool guy.

But.....he's a bit of a one-trick pony, isn't he?
[/quote]
That's a bit like saying, "Stephen Hawking is a brilliant cosmologist, but... he's a bit of a one trick pony, isn't he?"

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1499036226' post='3328787']
WARNING! Controversial opinion coming up...

Nile Rodgers is a brilliant funk rhythm guitarist and a cool guy.

But.....he's a bit of a one-trick pony, isn't he?
[/quote]

He is a bit more than that. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_Rodgers