Why become a member? ×

Nile Rodgers

Cato

I enjoyed Chic (my era), but I've got the cd.........someone earlier pointed out that Nile 'tours his ass off'
Glastonbury was just another tour date (I peeked at their listings), which is a shame....they seem to be
doing a lot of work with Earth Wind & Fire, it might have been a nice idea for Nile to come off the
'it's all about me' stuff & showcase a couple of 'impromptu' guests - let's face it, the man can stand the competition.
Barry Gibb - superb - 'nuff said.........

:)

If you can't showboat on the pyramid stage at Glastonbury when can you? I enjoyed it and they obviously did too. I've now added a natural finish deluxe to my shortlist for my next purchase. It won't make me sound like Jerry or Marcus but it'll look good and I'll want to pick it up. I think the tone was great.

You Bass Toffs

Bernard is my main man too - all the original vinyls in the loft etc etc.

This is a 2017 covers band with one original member and boy didn't they kick ass. Killer bass tone for an outside gig and i bet Mr Rogers had his engineer make sure it was that way.

Now all you moaners go off and practice

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1498420980' post='3324510']
There's something utterly joyous about watching older performers/bands, who must know their golden age is over, going out and not only winning over that massive crowd but absolutely slaying it.

Best Glasto set I've watched this year.
[/quote]I know what you mean - The Who did it a few years back too.

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1498509900' post='3325172']
I always find it a little silly that people come here and slag off 'x y z' -
having regard to the fact that the target of their moans has just delivered
a killer set at one of the worlds better regarded gigs -
tell me, how was your audition at the Frog & Armpit?

[/quote]

If you can't have an opinion without being famous what is bass.chat for ?
To be clear : I was annoyed by the playing of Barnes but the reason why I watched the entire set was that I liked the sound of his bass (not his playing). I can sometimes listen to shows without liking the music but only because of the bass sound.

100% agree - as bassists, surely we can air our opinion and hope that those on here understand a little more about where we are coming from then perhaps the wife or dog would!

I love Nile Rodgers, Chic and Jerry Barnes - even met the great man himself last year but in my opinion I think his playing was way over the top, tone was great but as a professional player he should know better, certainly didn't see the sax player or keys players diving in all over the place when they felt like it.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1498555573' post='3325427']
If you can't have an opinion without being famous what is bass.chat for ?
To be clear : I was annoyed by the playing of Barnes but the reason why I watched the entire set was that I liked the sound of his bass (not his playing). I can sometimes listen to shows without liking the music but only because of the bass sound.
[/quote]

Edited by Gunsfreddy2003

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1498514872' post='3325232']
Is that Omar Hakim on drums in that Chic - Jerry Barnes clip ?
[/quote]
Certainly is. I saw that tour and IMHO the best "post original" Chic line-up.
I saw an interview with Nile Rogers when he mentioned that he didn't want Bernard Edwards replacement to try and copy Bernard as in his words, "That's Impossible".

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1498483262' post='3324904']
I think Nate Watts is probably fatter than Jerry and a better bassist imo, I'm quite fat but maybe I need to be fatter still to really nail it.
[/quote]

Hey, we're not 'fat', we're Phattt!

Nothing quite like a big of mass behind the bass to really hold down the groove.

Proud to be stout!

Edited by wambamalubop

I like Chic, enjoyed their set.

Also loved the bass playing. I like 'in your face' players, and Jerry's got it all. Awesome. Couldn't stop listening to him.

Would have liked something from the post '79 Chic albums, though....very small gripe!

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1498509900' post='3325172']
I always find it a little silly that people come here and slag off 'x y z' -
having regard to the fact that the target of their moans has just delivered
a killer set at one of the worlds better regarded gigs -
tell me, how was your audition at the Frog & Armpit?

[/quote]

Quite, it's the usual muso whining...

I've just being having a listen to their set now, and it sounds pretty damn fine to me. The groove is good, the bass player is throwing a few embellishments in here and there, but it's a live gig ffs. Get over yourselves.

I don't see the problem with people expressing an opinion either way on it, you don't have to be jealous of something to not enjoy it, also the ability of the person posting has nothing to do with it either imo.

I enjoyed it overall, I watched the same set last time they played there and I enjoyed it then too, I don't want a 'Nard replica or even a Stingray player but I fail to see why my opinion and that of others is any less valid, I don't like his tone so that's a really bad start and at times I'd rather that enthusiasm be compensated for with a semi tone up or down in places, I don't care what people here might say if I pulled some of those licks ending on questionable notes and filled every gap down the tickled trout you'd be slating it on you tube!

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1498559523' post='3325473']
Quite, it's the usual muso whining...

I've just being having a listen to their set now, and it sounds pretty damn fine to me. The groove is good, the bass player is throwing a few embellishments in here and there, but it's a live gig ffs. Get over yourselves.
[/quote]

It's a bass player's online forum. We're not allowed to talk about bass playing now? :o :huh:

I thought he overplayed, and showed some (IMV) quite questionable taste in places. Still a great player though and I wish I had half of his chops! If Nile Rogers likes his playing then who am I to slag him off? :lol:

Bizarrely though, it seems that some players are fair game for the criticism all the time. Geddy Lee? Flea? Mark King? Janek Gwizdala? I don't see why Mr Barnes should be above that? :blink:

Edited by Conan

I don't like slap and I don't like disco, but I loved that chic set, everything was so tight.

And the bass players tone and 'overplaying' was the most fluid enjoyable bit of bass playing I have seen in a long time, absolutely made the set for me and I loved the tone. I am not a root and fifths kind of guy, I would love to be as good as him (if not maybe as big!).

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1498566211' post='3325543']

It's a bass player's online forum. We're not allowed to talk about bass playing now? :o :huh:

I thought he overplayed, and showed some (IMV) quite questionable taste in places. Still a great player though and I wish I had half of his chops! If Nile Rogers likes his playing then who am I to slag him off? :lol:

Bizarrely though, it seems that some players are fair game for the criticism all the time. Geddy Lee? Flea? Mark King? Janek Gwizdala? I don't see why Mr Barnes should be above that? :blink:
[/quote]

Exactly, it's not like I've gone onto their twitterface or whatever to slag them off.

My wife came in during their set , "ooh I don't like that plunkety sound" walked out.