Why become a member? ×

Epiphone thunderbird

Geek99

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1499254388' post='3330279']
All this Thunderbird talk has provoked mild GAS. I'm just not 100% sold on the body shape, preferring instead the more rounded outline of the T-bird inspired Schecter Nikki Sixx signature. At £1000+ that's out of the question, so I'm thinking about reshaping an Epiphone Thunderbird body to suit. Has anyone done this, either to a T-bird or any other bass? It'll probably exacerbate the neck dive though...
[/quote]

Neck dive is a myth. I thought we'd established this. Keep up at the back! :)

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1499420274' post='3331433']
I've played a ton of different basses over my 35+ year tenure and I'm with you. It cracks me up when you see people asking the width of the neck at the nut or the radius...a millimetre here or there on a four string bass, shouldn't really make a whole lot of difference.
[/quote]

And I've played a ton of different basses over my 30+ years playing, and I certainly notice those few millimetres. I'm amazed that they do make a difference, but they really do to my hands at least.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1499420274' post='3331433']
I've played a ton of different basses over my 35+ year tenure and I'm with you. It cracks me up when you see people asking the width of the neck at the nut or the radius...a millimetre here or there on a four string bass, shouldn't really make a whole lot of difference.
[/quote]

I have played a ton of different instruments and it cracks me up when a guitarist can't play a piano just because it is a different instrument. I can, why can't they? :D

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1499018698' post='3328635']
As I said, it may be my lack of experience but the 42mm neck just feels fat to me and my fingers don't fall perfectly where I want them to be. It's not a major issue but is noticeable. I can play may of my 38mm necks without thinking but on the precision I need to think about it for a few minutes before it falls in line. The depth of neck seems far less important. Judging by other threads on here I don't think I am the only one with a preference.
[/quote]

Similarly, I've been a EBMM Stingray player for some time and always loved it's chunky neck. A couple of months ago I acquired a Jazz bass and have played nothing since. Last night at band practise I decided to give the 'Ray a run out and within a few songs my fretting hand was really tired and ached. I hadn't noticed that actually my hand always ached when I played the Stingray but I ignored it and attributed it to technique. The J bass's slimmer neck is so comfortable that I hadn't noticed that it's really easy to play (for me), until I went back to the 'Ray. So for me personally, neck width is important.

We're all different (small cry of "I'm not different" from the back...). I have two gigs to play today, and will be taking my Epi T Bird as main bass, with a Fender P as back up. Completely different styles of bass, but either will do the job. I do think the T Bird is about 100 times more interesting to look at, though!

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1499497723' post='3331848']
I wish epiphone did the pro4 in black. I like the look of the gothic thunderbird but that is a bolt on thicker neck where I prefer the feel of the slimmer through necks but don't like either of the finishes.
[/quote]
One of the reasons I love my studio Gibson Thunderbird, set neck, proper bridge and looks the dogs, that's before you touch a string and then it's in a different league to my precision.

Played two more gigs with my Epi T Bird last night, what an incredibly good instrument it is, my playing is so relaxed and easy with the T Bird comared to my usual Jazz or Precision basses. They sound petty good too!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1499593957' post='3332352']
Does anyone know whether the scratch plate form the active model fits the classic pro? The black plate looks much better than the white, to my ears.
[/quote]

The first white Epi pro I bought had a black plate fitted. I'm not sure if it came off another Epi or was an after market job. It's currently in one of my box of spares, if you're interested let me know and I'll dig it out

[quote name='The_Rodster' timestamp='1499605891' post='3332444']
The first white Epi pro I bought had a black plate fitted. I'm not sure if it came off another Epi or was an after market job. It's currently in one of my box of spares, if you're interested let me know and I'll dig it out
[/quote]

Definitely interested, got to be worth a try!

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1499774851' post='3333488']
Why is there nothing about this bass on Epiphone's website yet?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgRqxgtaQ8g[/media]

Any info on UK dealers stocking it, or prices?
[/quote]

Is it just me or does the body shape look a bit off? The geometry on the top half of the body isn't the same as the Gibson. It's smoother/less angular.

[quote name='The_Rodster' timestamp='1499803689' post='3333778']
I've found it!! Do your travels take you anywhere near Gloucester?
[/quote]

Not especially near, but as I am in West Oxfordshire, I am not especially far away either! I am sure I could invent a good reason for a drive out your way.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1499785489' post='3333590']

Is it just me or does the body shape look a bit off? The geometry on the top half of the body isn't the same as the Gibson. It's smoother/less angular.

[/quote]

I had GAS for the tobacco finish but after now seeing the ebony version, black is the way to go for me. Really considering placing an advance order as soon I can.

Edited by bonzodog

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1499979492' post='3335000']
The new Epiphone Thunderbird is coming to retailers in October 2017 according to my email today.

[url="http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Bass/Thunderbird-Vintage-PRO-Bass.aspx"]http://www.epiphone....e-PRO-Bass.aspx[/url]
[/quote]

Great, I know what my next bass is going to be! Gigged my Epi classic pro again this evening, they're going to have to work hard to improve on that one.