Why become a member? ×

Epiphone thunderbird

Geek99

[quote name='The_Rodster' timestamp='1498586535' post='3325726']

I agree totally with you. I've got two Epiphone Pro Thunderbirds and they are very close to my Gibson's
[/quote]

My Epi bird was not even close to my 1991 Gibson Thunderbird.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1498615296' post='3325905']

My Epi bird was not even close to my 1991 Gibson Thunderbird.

Blue
[/quote]

You are probably talking about the old bolt-on Epis rather than the newer Classic Pro which has the same woods, same neck-through construction and the same pickups as the Gibson?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1498626704' post='3325912']

You are probably talking about the old bolt-on Epis rather than the newer Classic Pro which has the same woods, same neck-through construction and the same pickups as the Gibson?
[/quote]

Yes, my Epi was a bolt on. And I would bet it did not have Gibson PUs.

However the 1991 Gibson has a very thin neck with ebony fretboard.

Blue

Quite honestly, if I had to play my Epi (pro, through neck, Gibson pups) and my 2012 Gibson back to back, blindfolded, I couldn't tell you which was which unless I cheated and felt the bridge, as the Gibson has a standard bridge and my Epi has been upgraded to a Babicz.

I think the fact that Gibson stopped producing Thunderbirds shortly after releasing the Classic Pro says a lot!

After not playing mine for a while I've kind of fell for it again - played with a pick through a drive pedal (Pike Vulcan or Aguilar Agro are a great pairing), it sounds incredible. I can see myself moving over to the vintage version in black though when they come out!

My old man has played an epiphone thunderbird for the past 12 years and he swears blind that it's the best bass you could ever have. I have always told him that I actively dislike it but secretly there has always been something about its looks that I really like. Recently the GAS for me to get my own has starting to set in. Although I am a 5 string player so it would have to be one of the pro ones I go for.

T'bird GAS going on quite badly at the moment, thankfully, I can't afford one. :D

The through neck Epiphones & the Gibson models all have the Jazz like 38mm wide nut, which is too small for my hands, so that means looking at the bolt neck Epiphones or a set neck Tokai which both seem to have 42mm wide nuts. Unfortunately, the Tokai's seem pretty thin on the ground just now (possibly a very good thing though! :D ).

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1498905291' post='3327875']
T'bird GAS going on quite badly at the moment, thankfully, I can't afford one. :D

The through neck Epiphones & the Gibson models all have the Jazz like 38mm wide nut, which is too small for my hands, so that means looking at the bolt neck Epiphones or a set neck Tokai which both seem to have 42mm wide nuts. Unfortunately, the Tokai's seem pretty thin on the ground just now (possibly a very good thing though! :D ).
[/quote]

I know where you can get a Tokai ;) ;)

Played the Gibson in anger for the first time this weekend. My beloved Aria did the first half of the set and the T-bird the second half. There were a couple of bass players in the crowd who spoke to me afterwards and both commented on how much better the second half sounded. The tone is beautiful and cuts through the mix very well. The Aria is lighter and slightly nicer to play but the Gibson is miles ahead soundwise.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1498905291' post='3327875']

[/quote]

The Epi Classic Pro is pretty deep front to back though, I have small hands and find it difficult to play compared to my USA Fender P for example which has a 42mm nut!

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1499017728' post='3328624']
Just doesn't feel as nice to me, maybe it's my inexperience but the 38mm spacing seems to suit me better. The precision works fine it's just not my 'go to' bass and the spacing is part of that.
[/quote]

I often play a Precision at gigs, and change to a Jazz in the break, I am far too concerned about getting the sound right to even think about the spacing. My fingers just seem to find the strings anyway. It really has never been any kind of an issue, I am rather surprised that some people are bothered by it.

Edited by FinnDave

As I said, it may be my lack of experience but the 42mm neck just feels fat to me and my fingers don't fall perfectly where I want them to be. It's not a major issue but is noticeable. I can play may of my 38mm necks without thinking but on the precision I need to think about it for a few minutes before it falls in line. The depth of neck seems far less important. Judging by other threads on here I don't think I am the only one with a preference.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1499017498' post='3328620']
They're all 4 string basses, what difference does a few mm in neck width really matter?
[/quote]

True, but those few millimetres make a big difference. I've owned a few Jazz basses before, I've owned a few J bass inspired basses with the J bass necks, I've owned P basses & basses inspired by P basses, I was always quite happy to swap between them (thought I'd never owned any more than 1 at any one time until recently).

When I had the 4003, I bought a Jazz to replace it, but I couldn't "gel" with it. I thought about it a fair bit, and it boiled down to the neck, it was just too narrow for me and really didn't feel comfy.

I still don't get it, I switch between Jazz and Precisions, Thunderbirds and an Epiphany Jack Casady and yes, they're all different, but I've never seen that as a problem, anymore than single or two pick ups.

All this Thunderbird talk has provoked mild GAS. I'm just not 100% sold on the body shape, preferring instead the more rounded outline of the T-bird inspired Schecter Nikki Sixx signature. At £1000+ that's out of the question, so I'm thinking about reshaping an Epiphone Thunderbird body to suit. Has anyone done this, either to a T-bird or any other bass? It'll probably exacerbate the neck dive though...

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1499018888' post='3328640']
No, I accept that I may the odd one out, but in all my years of playing bass, neck width has never been an issue. I am currently playing Thunderbirds and haven't even considered the width of the neck.
[/quote]

I've played a ton of different basses over my 35+ year tenure and I'm with you. It cracks me up when you see people asking the width of the neck at the nut or the radius...a millimetre here or there on a four string bass, shouldn't really make a whole lot of difference.