Why become a member? ×

Epiphone thunderbird

Geek99

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496572310' post='3312330']
Epiphone or Gibson, it'll make a serious impact, nothing looks as good as this!

[attachment=246605:18902497_1059873444156318_656309542_n.jpg]

It's put the pic in twice, but only shows as one in edit mode - sorry, but two Thunderbirds for the price of one can't be bad!
[/quote]

Looks like the strap button is at the neck joint on yours FinnDave. Is that the normal place on a Gibson T Bird.
Maybe the bass has already been modified and explains why no serious neck dive.

I moved my Epi one from above the neck position on the shoulder to the neck heel as its a bolt on and raised the one at the bridge a few inches to stop neck dive. Worked a treat but bass only cost me £100. Don't think i'd be happy doing that with a Gibson.

DAMN I need to try a Gibson T bird as i now have serious GAS for one.
Gorgeous looking and thunderous tone.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1497502165' post='3318662']
Looks like the strap button is at the neck joint on yours FinnDave. Is that the normal place on a Gibson T Bird.
Maybe the bass has already been modified and explains why no serious neck dive.
[/quote]

There is no sign of the strap button having been moved, so I think it was on the heel of the neck from new. Not only is there 'no serious neck dive' on my Gibson, there is no neck dive at all, hands off, on a plastic backed barrow Fender strap.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1497498599' post='3318659']

Pic please.

Blue
[/quote]
As promised:

Sod's law that I have had a migraine this afternoon so feeling pretty grotty and not up to a long session. First impressions are positive, it's had some life and I knew that when I bought it. It's what could be termed 'well gigged condition'. Sound is very nice but need to crank the TE up a bit to get a real feel for that and that will have to wait until a time where my head won't explode if I do. Build quality is very good and compares well with the Fender I have. And as to the big question - neck dive, the answer is............... NO! It feels completely neutral and a couple of ounces wither end would make the difference I think. Lightweight tuners could make a difference but I don't think they are needed really. The neck is nice and fast, I need to lower the action a bit to get it spot on for me but it's ok where it is for now.

So am I glad I got a Gibson? Hell yes! A scruffyish one cost me the price of a new Epiphone and I am happy compromise on condition a bit (if it was perfect I would worry about gigging it anyway). Would I buy an Epiphone? 100% yes.

Just can't wait to get a proper session in now. Blue and FinnDave - it's all your fault (in a good way) and thanks for posting your experiences.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1497550144' post='3319083']
Just can't wait to get a proper session in now. Blue and FinnDave - it's all your fault (in a good way) and thanks for posting your experiences.
[/quote]

Well done, sorry about the migraine, but the bass looks great. I've been away from home all this week, and after the 5-6 hour drive back tomorrow, the first thing I'll be doing is getting the Thunderbird out. The Fenders can wait!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1497560486' post='3319175']

Well done, sorry about the migraine, but the bass looks great. I've been away from home all this week, and after the 5-6 hour drive back tomorrow, the first thing I'll be doing is getting the Thunderbird out. The Fenders can wait!
[/quote]
Not surprised! I had a quick half hour and am falling in love with the tone, it will be even better with a bit more volume as I had to have it very quiet tonight. Only issue so far is that it doesn't fit any gigbag/ hard case I have so need to track one down.

Mine came with the pukka Gibson case, which is about 4" longer than a Jazz bass case. The Bird is a big bass! There are several threads about cases for them on Talkbass, the consensus seems to be that some Epiphone cases fit the Gibson bass, but some don't. I am not aware of any other aftermarket cases that fit though.

I have found a few gig bags but the extra length seems an issue on most hard cases. I have found a listing number for a Gator case but can't find one for sale. Thanks for the heads up on the epiphone case as I was considering one but will be careful now.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1497550144' post='3319083']

As promised:

Sod's law that I have had a migraine this afternoon so feeling pretty grotty and not up to a long session. First impressions are positive, it's had some life and I knew that when I bought it. It's what could be termed 'well gigged condition'. Sound is very nice but need to crank the TE up a bit to get a real feel for that and that will have to wait until a time where my head won't explode if I do. Build quality is very good and compares well with the Fender I have. And as to the big question - neck dive, the answer is............... NO! It feels completely neutral and a couple of ounces wither end would make the difference I think. Lightweight tuners could make a difference but I don't think they are needed really. The neck is nice and fast, I need to lower the action a bit to get it spot on for me but it's ok where it is for now.

So am I glad I got a Gibson? Hell yes! A scruffyish one cost me the price of a new Epiphone and I am happy compromise on condition a bit (if it was perfect I would worry about gigging it anyway). Would I buy an Epiphone? 100% yes.

[/quote]

Nice!

Now your a member of the "kick arse" crowd.

Very cool looking Gibson Thunderbird.

Congrats

Blue

Thankfully I am feeling better after the migraine last night so I have had a chance to play with it properly. The sound is just massive and doesn't disappoint at all. I knew the action was high but thought I could live with for a while, changed my mind and will be sorting it tomorrow. It will feel much nicer a bit lower. The only negative so far is the weight, it's no lightweight by any means. I can live with that though as the sound....................

Off for a curry now and then watching my mates band and chatting to the Landlord so hopefully may have another gig booked by the end of the night.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1497635904' post='3319729']
The only negative so far is the weight, it's no lightweight by any means. I can live with that though as the sound....................
[/quote]

I know just what you mean! I bought mine two weeks ago, five years old and ungigged and gigged it that evening, and the next. Great, great basses. I really ought to get a back up....

Edited by FinnDave

Not sure if they are still around, but Five Star Cases in Ely made the case for my explorer, which is even bigger than a T-Bird.

FWIW I worked with a Prof. John Gaulter years ago who had my dream bass. An early narrow neck T-Bird modified to have a P Bass pickup in between the other 2. Oh and HIS had the usual broken headstock repair too. That was one FINE bass.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1497684509' post='3319983']
Not sure if they are still around, but Five Star Cases in Ely made the case for my explorer, which is even bigger than a T-Bird.

FWIW I worked with a Prof. John Gaulter years ago who had my dream bass. An early narrow neck T-Bird modified to have a P Bass pickup in between the other 2. Oh and HIS had the usual broken headstock repair too. That was one FINE bass.
[/quote]
Thanks, I have sent them at email.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1497561233' post='3319180']
I have found a few gig bags but the extra length seems an issue on most hard cases. I have found a listing number for a Gator case but can't find one for sale. Thanks for the heads up on the epiphone case as I was considering one but will be careful now.
[/quote]

I bought a Gator case for my Epiphone NR and it's a bit cheap & flimsy, so I wouldn't recommend getting one of them. My Gibson's will fit in the Epiphone cases I've got but it's a bit tight. I've got a couple of the normal cases and one of the newer, slightly tapered cases.

[quote name='The_Rodster' timestamp='1497791491' post='3320565']

I bought a Gator case for my Epiphone NR and it's a bit cheap & flimsy, so I wouldn't recommend getting one of them. My Gibson's will fit in the Epiphone cases I've got but it's a bit tight. I've got a couple of the normal cases and one of the newer, slightly tapered cases.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info, I will avoid the gator case. Waiting to hear back from five star cases so hopefully they will be able to help.

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1497820691' post='3320744']
The case is so big that it's a real pain in the ass to put it anywhere other than laying it across the back seat of the car and I've got a Saab 95 estate. The epi case is really good though. Just need an even bigger car.
[/quote]

My Gibson case doesn't even fit across the back seat, have to fold the seat down and have along the length. That's in an Astra estate I bought this year to carry my gear in!

All this talk of the thunderbird, I thought I would take mine out for a trip tonight at a gig. Unusual in that I don't really play 4 string mostly but no point having a bass if you are not going to gig it, so I took it.

Turned out surprisingly good. ok, definitely better for doing whole lotta love than brown eyed girl, but everything worked (a few mistakes from having a string missing) and pretty enjoyable. More versatile than you would think.

Yesterday, I bought an Epiphone pro 4, the through neck model with passive Gibson pick ups. I had to say that it compares very well with my 2012 Gibson. In fact, the epi may even have the edge, as a previous owner had fitted a Babicz bridge. Gigged it tonight and it sounded great, rock solid, very pleased with it. The Gibson is lovely too, of course, but costs several times what the Epi did. Best of all, it's a Thunderbird in every way, great great basses.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1498515205' post='3325236']
Yesterday, I bought an Epiphone pro 4, the through neck model with passive Gibson pick ups. I had to say that it compares very well with my 2012 Gibson. In fact, the epi may even have the edge, as a previous owner had fitted a Babicz bridge. Gigged it tonight and it sounded great, rock solid, very pleased with it. The Gibson is lovely too, of course, but costs several times what the Epi did. Best of all, it's a Thunderbird in every way, great great basses.
[/quote]

I agree totally with you. I've got two Epiphone Pro Thunderbirds and they are very close to my Gibson's