Why become a member? ×

Epiphone thunderbird

Geek99

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496403069' post='3311090']
That's Photoshop'd or he's lying on the floor!
[/quote]

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1496405456' post='3311136']
You can't see the end of the headstock - probably a wire to the ceiling, or perhaps a very large helium ballon ;-)
[/quote]

Damn!! I'd have got away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids!!!

[quote name='The_Rodster' timestamp='1496324517' post='3310519']
First time I've seen a Ric accused of heinous neck dive crimes. I will have to dig mine out later, in the meantime here are some photos of my T-birds refusing to neck dive

[attachment=246426:IMAG0666.jpg]

[attachment=246427:IMAG0667.jpg]
[/quote]

They have already dove if you ask me, unless you play with your left hand that low!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496406153' post='3311150']
Just returned from my lovely new Thunderbird - my first - and I tried it in a strap as soon as I got through the door. It just hung there, no head dive, and I had deliberately chosen to use a plastic backed Fender strap, to minimum friction to hold it up.

The bass also happens to look and sound amazing, can't believe I've waited so long to get my hands on one, but glad I didn't wit any longer! The T Bird will be gigged tonight!
[/quote]

So which one did you get Dave?

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496406153' post='3311150']
Just returned from my lovely new Thunderbird - my first - and I tried it in a strap as soon as I got through the door. It just hung there, no head dive, and I had deliberately chosen to use a plastic backed Fender strap, to minimum friction to hold it up.

The bass also happens to look and sound amazing, can't believe I've waited so long to get my hands on one, but glad I didn't wit any longer! The T Bird will be gigged tonight!
[/quote]

Nice! and another colleague like me, no neck dive.

Maybe it's my generation. In the early 70, you never even heard the term "neck dive", you just strap up and play.

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496419501' post='3311319']
It's a Gibson, second had but in exceptionally good condition.
[/quote]

Great choice Dave. The Gibson is a completely different bass than the Epiphone.

The Gibson is the superior bass IMO.

Blue

Edited by blue

The only truly dreadful neck-dive bass I have owned was a Guild B301, bought new in the late 70s. I had tried in the shop for ages (it was an expensive purchase for me then) but was sitting down....didn't discover the problem until I went to rehearsal that night. Too late by then. Why on earth I bought that when I could have had a perfectly good Fender for the same money, I'll never know. Just trying to be different , I expect.

My Thunderbird stays put hands off, no balance problems at all. Quite excited about the prospect of gigging it tonight!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496421489' post='3311339']
Great choice Dave. The Gibson is a completely different bass than the Epiphone.

The Gibson is the superior bass IMO.

Blue
[/quote]

The Gibbo was for sale on here, OK, a bit more than an Epiphone, but then I'd have to have bought a case and now I won't be plagued with thoughts of 'This is all very god but a Gibson would be even better'!

I will take a close look at the new Epi T bird when it hits the shops, though, a back up is always useful...and at least I'll have something good to compare it to. I own and often gig an Epiphone Jack Casady bass, so I am not a brand snob, the Gibbo is just a breathtakingly beautiful bass, to my eyes (and sounds bloody good to my ears, as well. Damn thing even smells good!)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496421944' post='3311345']

The Gibbo was for sale on here, OK, a bit more than an Epiphone, but then I'd have to have bought a case and now I won't be plagued with thoughts of 'This is all very god but a Gibson would be even better'!

I will take a close look at the new Epi T bird when it hits the shops, though, a back up is always useful...and at least I'll have something good to compare it to. I own and often gig an Epiphone Jack Casady bass, so I am not a brand snob, the Gibbo is just a breathtakingly beautiful bass, to my eyes (and sounds bloody good to my ears, as well. Damn thing even smells good!)
[/quote]

You got me Dave. I admit I am a bit of a brand snob.

Every bass I own is a major brand. It stems from playing so many knock offs as a teen when I couldn't afford a name brand bass.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496422829' post='3311357']
You got me Dave. I admit I am a bit of a brand snob.

Every bass I own is a major brand. It stems from playing so many knock offs as a teen when I couldn't afford a name brand bass.

Blue
[/quote]

I probably am a bit as well - I've got shot of the few Squier basses I had and my Precision and Jazz basses are all Fenders, 75% of them US models (the other one is a Classic 60s Jazz made in Mexico), not really because I care what people think, but I because I always wanted them when I was a kid, and also they have proven themselves to be completely reliable, and require less frequent adjustments than the cheaper clones. Probably down to better wood, better fittings, and better quality control.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496423936' post='3311364']

I probably am a bit as well - I've got shot of the few Squier basses I had and my Precision and Jazz basses are all Fenders, 75% of them US models (the other one is a Classic 60s Jazz made in Mexico), not really because I care what people think, but I because I always wanted them when I was a kid, and also they have proven themselves to be completely reliable, and require less frequent adjustments than the cheaper clones. Probably down to better wood, better fittings, and better quality control.
[/quote]

Cool, now, I would consider any MIJ Fender Squire P Basses.

Blue

I have to say nowadays with methods of design and construction there is very little diffence in quality in my view for most 'mass' produced instruments. Squier, Epiphone, Sterling etc are all exceptional instruments that will last a lifetime. Yes of course it's nice to have a named instrument but certainly in the market for new instruments the named basses are overpriced. I do think it's a shame that companies like Fender and Gibson have taken a standalone name which originally stood for high quality and made it known as a so called budget range.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496423936' post='3311364']

[/quote]

Agreed, I gigged my 1991 Gibson Thunderbird last weekend. I hadn't touched that bass in 6 months. It was still in tune and the intonation was on the money.

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496421944' post='3311345']

[/quote]

I have heard only good things about the Epi Cassidy. McCartney's guy uses one. As a matter of fact that guy uses all Epi basses. McCartney has a 60 year history with Epi.

For you younger guys, back in the day Epi was not a second teir brand. It was a top brand name.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496517621' post='3312079]

For you younger guys, back in the day Epi was not a second teir brand. It was a top brand name.

Blue
[/quote]

"Younger guys" ? C'mon - Epiphone were making quality instruments before anyone on this forum was born.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1496569387' post='3312310']
It's no good, my will has failed. There is a wanted ad up as we speak for an epiphone thunderbird (sorry Blue, my pockets just aren't that deep to stretch to a Gibson at the moment)
[/quote]

PM incoming!

Epiphone or Gibson, it'll make a serious impact, nothing looks as good as this!

[attachment=246605:18902497_1059873444156318_656309542_n.jpg]

It's put the pic in twice, but only shows as one in edit mode - sorry, but two Thunderbirds for the price of one can't be bad!

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496572310' post='3312330']
Epiphone or Gibson, it'll make a serious impact, nothing looks as good as this!

[attachment=246605:18902497_1059873444156318_656309542_n.jpg]

It's put the pic in twice, but only shows as one in edit mode - sorry, but two Thunderbirds for the price of one can't be bad!
[/quote]

Thunderbirds are just damn cool :)

P.S. i'm hanging out for the new Epi T-Bird unless a Gib comes up for the right ££s

Edited by Number6

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1496569387' post='3312310']
It's no good, my will has failed. There is a wanted ad up as we speak for an epiphone thunderbird (sorry Blue, my pockets just aren't that deep to stretch to a Gibson at the moment)
[/quote]

I've found the Epiphone Pro's to be really close to my Gibson Tbirds. To my mind there's slightly less resonance in the Epiphone body. I've given my Epi's a bit of a make over though, as you can see from the photo's (hopefully!)

[attachment=246616:White Tbird.jpg]

[attachment=246617:P1050907.JPG]

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1496571964' post='3312325']

PM incoming!
[/quote]
Replied!

I am sure this forum should come with a wealth warning! Always loved the look of the thunderbird and then the sound hits so I guess it was only a matter of time before I succumbed to it.