Why become a member? ×

So what makes a tune "catchy"?

TheGreek

Inspired by Shell's Mustang Sally thread really - it's clearly a tune that some love but others don't, for some it's really "catchy" (whatever that means) but for others it's gone stale.

Motown were absolute masters of churning out catchy tunes, some might say that was also true of Stock, Aiken and Waterman in the 80s. Madonna and George Michael know how to write 'em but so many others don't.

So what makes a tune "catchy"? Is it a pumping beat, a certain BPM, a "hook", or something else? Does a catchy tune have a "sell by date" after which time you can't stand it anymore or are they eternal?

I reckon it's a whole lot of different things and any combination of those things.

It's the science behind the magical 120 BPM which Stock, Aitken etc picked up on as the ultimate dance tempo in the 80s.

It's a memorable Melody, it's a middle eight changing to the relative minor or major, it's the key change up a tone to the last chorus, it's a well tried and tested chord progression (just think about how many songs are based around Em G D A)

Add to this a great voice and production and maybe you're there.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1495844740' post='3307083']
It's a memorable Melody, it's a middle eight changing to the relative minor or major, it's the key change up a tone to the last chorus, it's a well tried and tested chord progression (just think about how many songs are based around Em G D A)
[/quote]

Blimey, if someone had put all those together, into one song, they would have made a fortune in 'Tin Pan Alley'.
Oh wait.......
:)

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1495840886' post='3307074']
Impossible to define. because there are biillions of different ears in the world.
[/quote]
But some are definitely more catchy than others, the utterly appalling dross that is Kylies annoyingly titled 'can't get you out of my head' being a perfect example. Stays firmed rooted even if you hate it.

Most for me are due to bass lines (not surprisingly I suppose), I must have hummed the bassline for Peaches by the Stranglers for hour after hour after hour and still love it.

For me it's mainly about the melody...and specifically the chorus. If anything get's stuck in my head, it's normally the chorus. What actually makes something catchy escapes me but the symptoms are pretty obvious! :D

In terms of a "use by date" I think that applies to musicians more than "norms". We tend to get jaded by dint of the repetition of certain songs. It's not something punters ever really seem to suffer from :D

I reckon it's a whole lot of different things and any combination of those things.

It's the science behind the magical 120 BPM which Stock, Aitken etc picked up on as the ultimate dance tempo in the 80s.

[/quote]

I remember during this period there was an amazing split of musical styles around the country (from personal experience of being in telesales for a whole bunch of record companies). In London, the South East and the South West, slower tempos dominated. I think it was Paul Oakenfold who hit upon 96 BPM as the magic number. Think of Soul II Soul, Princess and Beats International. Up North we couldn't get arrested with stuff that was slower than 130! Stock Aitken Waterman did manage to hit that sweet spot that ended up breaking down a lot of those very localised preferences.

Guest bassman7755

Add to this a great voice and production and maybe you're there.
[/quote]

Catchyness isnt something that was invented in the 80s, beethovens 5th, william tell overture, eine kleine nachtmusik are all catchy in the extreme.

There are some formulas out there... I don't think 'Mustang Sally' is catchy so much as it's familiar and dare I say it even expected of live bands.

One formulaic hook I'm hearing all the time at the mo (Katy Perry especially) is the 'yeah - eh -ay - eh' across the 5th and 3rd of a major alternately. See 'California Gurls'

Catchy to me is Pharrell Williams' 'Happy' or Daft Punk's 'Get Lucky' which are both seriously good songs. An analysis of the latter here: http://alexbaileywriter.com/why-daft-punk-get-lucky-is-catchy/