Why become a member? ×

Shonky generator outdoor gig - which amp?

Weather permitting, I'm supposed to be playing guitar with my band at a private outdoor party organised by hippies. There will be some sort of sound system and generator, though it's a complete unknown quantity. It's in a location you can't get a vehicle right up to, so I'd imagine it will be a little portable setup, and there's unlikely to be a proper stage. Sounds pretty dodgy, right?
I'm a bit wary of running my usual valve combo on this kind of supply, since the grounding might not be done properly and the voltage and AC frequency might vary. The only solid-state setup I have is my small bass rig of a GK MB200 and 1x10 cab. It seems like the switch-mode supply of the GK is less likely to be stressed by power supply variations, and it might feel less risky, it's a bit lighter to carry too, but it's kind of squeaky clean for guitar. Which way would you go in these circumstances (other than not doing the gig)? Any other tips for coping in this situation are also welcome.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1495304156' post='3302881']
Weather permitting, I'm supposed to be playing guitar with my band at a private outdoor party organised by hippies. There will be some sort of sound system and generator, though it's a complete unknown quantity. It's in a location you can't get a vehicle right up to, so I'd imagine it will be a little portable setup, and there's unlikely to be a proper stage. Sounds pretty dodgy, right?
I'm a bit wary of running my usual valve combo on this kind of supply, since the grounding might not be done properly and the voltage and AC frequency might vary. The only solid-state setup I have is my small bass rig of a GK MB200 and 1x10 cab. It seems like the switch-mode supply of the GK is less likely to be stressed by power supply variations, and it might feel less risky, it's a bit lighter to carry too, but it's kind of squeaky clean for guitar. Which way would you go in these circumstances (other than not doing the gig)? Any other tips for coping in this situation are also welcome.
[/quote]

Interestingly, not long ago I played a gig in a big old tent, powered by a shonky generator, in the middle of a muddy field. The generator kept on cutting out, for a few seconds, intermittently, which resulted in both the lights and my digital amp head, switching on and off throughout the gig. The guitarist and the harmonica player, in the band, both had valve amps and they weren't affected in the slightest.

I can only think that the big capacitors in the valve amps stored enough electricity to keep the amps running during the breaks in current.

So if the gig is rescheduled, take the valve head instead of the GK as, according to my experience, it will deal with a dodgy power supply better than a solid state amp.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1495304156' post='3302881']
Weather permitting, I'm supposed to be playing guitar with my band at a private outdoor party organised by hippies.[/quote]

You guys still have hippies?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1495329807' post='3303031']

Blue
[/quote]

I think it's fairer to say we have druggies who prefer the term hippie, new age traveller, druid etc. If you want me, I'll be in my flame-proof bunker.

Blue
[/quote]

Hippie is a state of mind, nothing to do with clothes or hair anymore. Once a Hippie always a Hippie.

Anyway, I am looking for a generator and I did a search for the Shonky Company and I cant find them anywhere. Can anyone help?

Edited by mikel

You guys still have hippies?...
[/quote]

I'm still here, Blue; an ageing old duffer, just like yourself. CS&N had it about right, unfortunately, when they sang 'It's been a long time coming; s'gonna be a long time gone.' Still, it's fun while it lasts, and I'm determined to make it last as long as I can.
Peace. B)

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1495350237' post='3303064']
Hippie is a state of mind, nothing to do with clothes or hair anymore. Once a Hippie always a Hippie.

Anyway, I am looking for a generator and I did a search for the Shonky Company and I cant find them anywhere. Can anyone help?
[/quote]

No generators I'm afraid, but they do make some interesting instruments... B)

http://www.shonkymusicalinstruments.co.uk/home

Blue
[/quote]

Yep that would be me to a degree. Jeans and T shirts since 70's.
Style never goes out of fashion. :lol:

Hair a bit shorter from waist length its now shoulder length and white :lol: :lol:

Dave

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1495352470' post='3303083']
1x10?
outdoors?
hope theyre all going to sit down and be nice and quiet :ph34r:
[/quote]

For guitar, with unmic'ed drums. It's not going to cover a huge area, but it should balance OK with the drums.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1495391532' post='3303424']
Crusties is the new term.
[/quote]

I reckon there are three basic varieties of modern-day hippy, which overlap in a Venn diagram fashion. Many people of a hippyish leaning have some elements of each, in varying extents.

-There are your crusty/raver sorts; these are the tail-end of the old free festival scene that later fed into the rave scene, chiefly into imbibing whatever they can get hold of in outdoor settings of dubious legality. They're often weekend warriors, rather than it being a full-time lifestyle.
-Then there are your activist/eco-warrior crowd; often found inhabiting protest camps or living in off-grid settings.
-Finally, there are your new-age/spiritual people; usually more clean-living than the other sorts, into assorted alternative spiritual woo and pseudo-scientific ideas about diet, and they've often come from better off backgrounds - their kids probably go to the local Steiner school.

That's probably a reprehensible bit of stereotyping, but there you go! The party I didn't play at last night would mostly have been frequented by the first group.