Why become a member? ×

Ive got to sell my Bass.

bubinga5

Financially I'm in a bit of a pickle. Nothing serious but i need the money, so the Marcus Miller is going back.

To say I'm gutted is an understatement. My musical expression is my bass. ( that and listening)..

Ive really gelled with it.

But yes, Its only a material item. And it will only be a while until i can play bass again.

Has anyone let there only bass go.?

Edited by bubinga5

I've had to sell amps and cabs before now, but fortunately I never needed to sell a bass.

Have you thought about maybe getting a Harley Benton, or something budget, and a zoom b1on and headphones ?

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1490909889' post='3269060']
I've had to sell amps and cabs before now, but fortunately I never needed to sell a bass.

Have you thought about maybe getting a Harley Benton, or something budget, and a zoom b1on and headphones ?
[/quote] Yes i have, i really don't like the sound of those instruments, and i love cheap. I play through a Mac Pro etc.. But thank you for the suggestion buddy.

Edited by bubinga5

I spent quite a few years without my own bass. I'd play whatever was to hand regardless of scale length,weight,neck thickness or string type.
Found it a good experience but granted I'm not the most technical of players so just got on with it.

I'd take any bass over no bass

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1490912087' post='3269090']
Yes, I let my only bass go, and my only amp.
Then I bought another bass. Then I sold that.
At the end of the day it's just a bit of wood.
[/quote]

I have a personal attachment to my basses, most are basses I could only dream of owning as a teen.

They're also tools of my trade. For me my basses are a little more than merely wood and wire.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490923897' post='3269123']
I have a personal attachment to my basses, most are basses I could only dream of owning as a teen.

They're also tools of my trade. For me my basses are a little more than merely wood and wire.

Blue
[/quote]Blue, you remind me of me 5 years ago after 20 bottles of cider. You talk sh*t. Tell you what, pack one up, ship it off. ill get it by monday

Bub

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1490916586' post='3269112']
Thats what my wife said.
[/quote]

I wasn't trying to be flippant, sorry if it came across that way.
I guess what I was trying to say is don't worry, if you need to sell it sell it, you'll own basses again further down the line.
I've never had much money, so getting attached to something I own is a luxury I've never been able to have. Stuff gets sold as & when needs demand. The bottom line is that as much as we enjoy playing there are more important things in life that sometimes need to come first.

Being new to this game I could be talking rubbish but to me there is a lot of 'emperors new clothes' about makes and models. I have messed around with a load now and a lot of cheap ones do sound terrible, but so a few costing hundreds. Some of the cheap ones do sound pretty good though and would fill a hole if needed.

Yup, been there, done that. Another "financial pickle" situation (though not desperate), and the realisation that my treasured bass was worth far more gone that sat in it's case. It kind of made some sense at the time, as it was one of the few instruments I've ever owned that actually was worth more than I paid for it. With the "profit" from selling it, I bought another bass (that I didn't get on with, and sold soon after).

I do wish I still had my old 4003, but, I needed the money.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1490933008' post='3269129']
Blue, you remind me of me 5 years ago after 20 bottles of cider. You talk sh*t. Tell you what, pack one up, ship it off. ill get it by monday

Bub
[/quote]

Bit harsh?

I'm in a situation where i have to sell a lot of my stuff too. Not nice at all, i feel your pain.
Fingers crossed your situation changes for you

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1490933008' post='3269129']
Blue, you remind me of me 5 years ago after 20 bottles of cider. You talk sh*t. Tell you what, pack one up, ship it off. ill get it by monday

Bub
[/quote] Think he was just saying he could not do without a bass as it is the tool of his trade and I think your reply was a bit rude if you dont like the answers you get dont start the thread. Anyway I do hope you resolve your situation I know it is hard I have been there myself and it is not fun but the way I look at my basses is they are only things and life goes on who knows maybe when your a bit more flush you could buy a better bass :)

Last year I had to sell two relatively expensive (to me anyway) basses in order to pay some bills. Fortunately I hung on to my two cheap ones (mainly because they would be worth so little that it wouldn't be worth selling them!).

So I've not quite been in the OP's situation, but not too far off. It's not good :( Best of luck that things improve B)

Hi there,
I'm really sorry to hear you are in a bit of a financial pickle :(
And of course, really sorry you have to let your bass go, especially as you've gelled with it

One thought though - is there any way you could afford a real cheapie bass? - Just so's you've got something to dabble with, and keep your hand in, whilst you hopefully become more sorted financially? I've seen a couple of really kind gestures on this forum, where people literally give a bass away, to someone who can't afford one...

Perhaps this is something we could sort out? A couple of "community basses" which get donated to players until they're able to afford their own? Once that happens, they then pass it on to another deserving player? - Just a thought

As others have said "it's just a piece of wood" - well, no it isn't lol, but the sentiment that it IS replaceable in future is what's meant
Most of all, best of luck to you bubinga5 - hope you're able to continue playing, and hope most of all you sort your finances out...

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1490946651' post='3269204']
We are mostly all capable of talking rubbish with no cider. Not a very nice comment as far as I am concerned.
[/quote]

True - but taking into account the OP's financial situation, and the fact that he posted that comment at 5am - there may be extenuating circumstances... I hope so anyway.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1490946780' post='3269207']One thought though - is there any way you could afford a real cheapie bass? - Just so's you've got something to dabble with, and keep your hand in, whilst you hopefully become more sorted financially? I've seen a couple of really kind gestures on this forum, where people literally give a bass away, to someone who can't afford one...

Perhaps this is something we could sort out? A couple of "community basses" which get donated to players until they're able to afford their own? Once that happens, they then pass it on to another deserving player? - Just a thought[/quote]

What a lovely idea! :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1490946881' post='3269209']

True - but taking into account the OP's financial situation, and the fact that he posted that comment at 5am - there may be extenuating circumstances... I hope so anyway.
[/quote] Yes. But I believe Blue was just disagreeing that a bass to him is just more than a block of wood and wire. I agree with that, and I would have to be in real trouble to have to part with my Clover. I saw no malice that warranted the response he got.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1490946881' post='3269209']
[/quote]True but we all feel sh*tty at times but it is no excuse to take it out on others

I've got 9, one of which I've lent to a mate in similar circumstances. If you were close I'd be willing to lend you a 5er too if it helped. Maybe a BCer closer?

So feeling slightly guilty.

I've never had to sell a bass although prudence would suggest that I should some times :rolleyes:

Edited by GreeneKing

Serveral times I've had to sell my only bass and a few times had to wait a few months before being able to buy another.

And I really missed having one around and instantly felt better on being able to buy another bass.

However there is another way sell your bass and use maybe a tiny amount to buy a cheap bass just to get you through. It can actually be fun to try find these cheap basses. Its not going to be anything flash just functional.