Why become a member? ×

Finished! A Bridge Too Far?

Andyjr1515

I've just logged into BC for the first time in a couple of years, due to personal mumbo jumbo, and I couldn't have asked for a better return than to find another amazing AndyJr build.

Thanks to TheGreek for patronising this bizarre, brilliant build :D Such a fun thread to read.

The funny thing is. I have a design for a bass I want to build and, although it's not a headless type, I was planning on doing something similar with anchoring the strings at an angle through the body or around the edge. It's hard to explain in text but I came down to a couple of designs. One of them was a lot like what you did here, Andy, and you've put me right off it :D I'd only mess it up, so I'll be going with plan B instead.

I'm glad that this build has been an inspiration to you. Andy is an absolute genius when it comes to bringing ideas through to fruition - I'd make suggestions from a thought I'd had, a few hours later Andy would have ironed out the problems and designed something to make my idea work. I'm convinced he's a Wizard or something...

If you are considering a build and feel out of your depth give serious consideration to getting Andy to interpret this into wood for you. I'm already thinking about my next build with him, it will involve significantly less work than this though. He is one of several builders on this forum who can turn your dream into reality.

Personally I'd would only ever commission custom builds within the BC forum now.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1500648808' post='3339386']
I'm already thinking about my next build with him
[/quote]

Ohhhhhhh crap!

"Sally - can you hear me?........ Get your bags packed.....no - right away.....anything......overseas.....trust me, it's what we need to do..........Oh and see if a magic marker will work on the passport paper.....Mrs Swift........for goodness sake, just do it! I'll explain later!!!"

:lol:

While Mrs[s]Andjr1515[/s]Swift is packing, I jotted down the last tasks - having already got the nut adjusted, adjusted the trussrod and sorted the final action height.

It's a short shortlist :D :[list]
[*]Fit some brass tube ferrules at the bridge end. Strictly speaking they are not necessary from a functional point of view but Mick understandably would like to know nothing will wear or mark in the long term - especially as there is the rumour that Andyjr1515 is planning to flee the country shortly.
[*]Repolish the frets now all the finishing is finished
[*]Add a label once we've picked the name from the excellent suggestions
[*]Fit Mick's 'special' strings :)
[/list]

One of the remaining jobs was to add some brass ferrules to the bridge exit holes. I've used 5mm thinwall brass, ground to the correct angle and then cut parallel so there is minimal impact on threading through the strings when stringing up.

At the same time, I've added one more functional, precautionary, element - a back support for the saddle:

The reason is that, as the tuners are pulling from the back, the proximity of the bridge means that the - especially roundwound - strings tend to try to pull the saddle backwards out of square as you tighten the strings (anyone who's strung up a violin will fully understand this phenomenon). What I don't want is that, over time, the pull on the saddle to open up the slot at the top, allowing it to sit not fully square.

This carved fillet ensures that the saddle (which is, of course, loose) always remains upright and square in its slot.

Well, fingers crossed - other than sticking a label on the back of the control chamber cover with the chosen name - the next hour should see this fully finished. :D Just got to polish the frets and put Mick's special strings on :)

[u][b]Naming the bass.[/b][/u]

We'll be announcing the winner tomorrow. There are several strong contenders at the moment but we're accepting further suggestions till about lunchtime.

​So put your thinking caps on and keep those suggestions coming!!

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1500730917' post='3339854']
And so, other than a tweak of the truss rod to suit Mick's DR Neon White strings and printing and attaching the label, it's finished :)

Forgive the gratuitous photos:

[/quote]

Following your builds has been one of the highlights of the forum for me, since I discovered BassChat a couple of years back.

I think this may be your Sistine Chapel.

Maybe you could call it the Michelangelo.

Congratulations to The Greek for the concept and especially to you for the execution. As someone with no practical skills myself I have a genuine admiration for those who do.

P.S. hope the build doesn't cause you permanent eye damage the way the Sistine Chapel's ceiling did with it's creator.

Edited by Cato

I suppose that a build this radical will always be a bit 'marmite'- you either love it or hate it. Whichever side of that divide you fall on, you have to admire the skill involved in the building and Mick's courage in coming up with the concept. Lets face it, it's certainly not a P bass! Superb work Andy. Mick, I hope you garner many years of enjoyment from the finished article.

Edited by W1_Pro