Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, Shylock said:

Thanks both for your offers. There is no rush as it works with thinner strings but it is more or less maxed out and is just one if those jobs I will get round to some day. 

A man after my own heart....why do today what you can leave for tomorrow...

• Haha 2

A BB605 came available at a reasonable price - me thinks "lesser model, I'll swap the neck onto my 615". 

Conversation with the authority on all things Yamaha, @AndyTravis and I find out that the 605 is 24 frets, 615 has 21. :facepalm:

The 605 arrives today - nice condition but issues with the output - NONE!!. Message to my electronics guy - waiting for a reply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

A BB605 came available at a reasonable price - me thinks "lesser model, I'll swap the neck onto my 615". 

Conversation with the authority on all things Yamaha, @AndyTravis and I find out that the 605 is 24 frets, 615 has 21. :facepalm:

The 605 arrives today - nice condition but issues with the output - NONE!!. Message to my electronics guy - waiting for a reply.

My BB605 has grown on me. It feels really good.

• Like 1

During my happy time with my 424 I mostly used GHS Boomers, which especially suited the middle position.

My new LB100 arrived with a set of Boomers on. After very little play, they've come off, as that bass needs steels.

Would anyone with a 414 / 424 / 1024 like to try out Boomers with this nearly-new set of 45-105 gratis ?

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

During my happy time with my 424 I mostly used GHS Boomers, which especially suited the middle position.

My new LB100 arrived with a set of Boomers on. After very little play, they've come off, as that bass needs steels.

Would anyone with a 414 / 424 / 1024 like to try out Boomers with this nearly-new set of 45-105 gratis ?

I'd be more than happy to relieve you of them. Got my favourite D'addario half rounds on my 424 but they're a little muddy on it. 

I'll pop something in a charity box of your choice if you don't want anything for them, and obviously sort you out postage. 

🙂👍

14 minutes ago, Maude said:

I'd be more than happy to relieve you of them. Got my favourite D'addario half rounds on my 424 but they're a little muddy on it. 

I'll pop something in a charity box of your choice if you don't want anything for them, and obviously sort you out postage. 

🙂👍

Excellent :) But you certainly won't be sorting me out for the postage, just sending me a PM with your address 😜

I thought the Boomers sounded better on my 424 than both Swing Bass and Roto Bass. On my SB-1 both those Rotosounds are great, but the Boomers sounded pathetic. I haven't a clue what's going on there. Maybe it's all to do with the 424's magical bridge pickup? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 08/02/2023 at 14:19, Ricky Rioli said:

My new LB100 arrived with a set of Boomers on.... Would anyone with a 414 / 424 / 1024 like to try out Boomers with this nearly-new set ....

On 08/02/2023 at 16:18, Maude said:

I'd be more than happy to relieve you of them. Got my favourite D'addario half rounds on my 424 but they're a little muddy on it....

These are now en route, and so I now have the happy anticipation of finding out if my opinion that Boomers are exactly what a BB's middle position deserves is any good or not :D

44 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

These are now en route, and so I now have the happy anticipation of finding out if my opinion that Boomers are exactly what a BB's middle position deserves is any good or not :D

Had boomers on my bb1600 - quite possibly the best bass sound I’ve had direct into a desk.

remind me, someone…why did I sell 🫣

Warning: Boring comment alert....🤓

I found myself in central London today so I decided to have a look around the music shops. 

Found the Yamaha shop and left wondering if they actually want to sell anything to the general public. 

Beautifully presented shop but those prices....whoa! 

I wanted another go on a BB P34 as i think they're tasty.

They were marked up as around £1.5k - WHAT?! As soon as you walk out of the shop with that you've lost £600 as they fetch £850-950 second hand. 

Also, the one I played had some serious hum.

The other places down the road on Denmark St were nice though. 

I still like the P34 though and if I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket I'd be vulnerable....

10 hours ago, EJWW said:

Warning: Boring comment alert....🤓

I found myself in central London today so I decided to have a look around the music shops. 

Found the Yamaha shop and left wondering if they actually want to sell anything to the general public. 

Beautifully presented shop but those prices....whoa! 

I wanted another go on a BB P34 as i think they're tasty.

They were marked up as around £1.5k - WHAT?! As soon as you walk out of the shop with that you've lost £600 as they fetch £850-950 second hand. 

Also, the one I played had some serious hum.

The other places down the road on Denmark St were nice though. 

I still like the P34 though and if I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket I'd be vulnerable....

They are around £1800 in most places - they would price match which would get you down to about £1475 if you do a bit of research - I got them to price match one at Peach guitars no problem. As soon as you buy anything new the resale value will immediately drop to at least two thirds of the retail price unless it is a premium item in short supply. The pickups are single coil - single coils will pick up all sorts of extraneous noise from lights etc. And yes they are fantastic basses - I love mine.

Edited by Wellsyboy
wanted to add to comment
  • Like 1