Why become a member? ×

32" Medium Scale Bass Thread

Rumple

1 minute ago, Obrienp said:

I guess it’s different strokes for different folks. The neck suits me fine but I have short fingers. I hadn’t noticed it being thick: perhaps the FSR versions have a different profile?

I think Jaguar basses have always had Jazz style necks, so you might be waiting a long time for one with a P neck profile but wouldn’t it be great if they did a medium scale P bass in the Affinity line to compliment the Jag. The Japanese medium scale Ps and Js seem expensive to me, plus there is all the hassle of having to import them.

My hands are like daddy long legs - spindly fingers tripping over themselves 🤡

Yeah, the Jags are all Jazz width, so I don’t expect I’ll find what I want “off the shelf”.

I contemplate a custom build every once in a while.

• Like 1

Apologies if this is covered through the thread somewhere.

I picked up a string-through- bridge 32” scale bass recently. How do strings with silk ends work with somebody like this, is there enough clearance?

I can’t really find the thing I want in a medium scale so might have to buy standard strings but the sink is a concern.

cheers 

4 minutes ago, Iheartreverb said:

Apologies if this is covered through the thread somewhere.

I picked up a string-through- bridge 32” scale bass recently. How do strings with silk ends work with somebody like this, is there enough clearance?

I can’t really find the thing I want in a medium scale so might have to buy standard strings but the sink is a concern.

cheers 

I think you are going to have to find out what the wound string length of your string of choice is. Most manufacturers do publish this and the Strings Direct website is pretty useful for finding this kind of information too. You need to make sure that the wound part of the string is going to be long enough to clear the nut before the silk winding starts. 

TBH there doesn’t seem to be a lot of choice available for medium scale. Some of the shorter wound length standard scale strings might fit, which is an advantage: it gives you more choice and will probably be cheaper too. Conventional wisdom is that the string shouldn’t be so long that the wound part goes round the machine head shaft. I have also seen quite a few posts from people saying they have never had any problem with this and even use 34” strings on 30” scale basses. Make of that what you will.

On 07/01/2023 at 12:02, Obrienp said:

I think you are going to have to find out what the wound string length of your string of choice is. Most manufacturers do publish this and the Strings Direct website is pretty useful for finding this kind of information too. You need to make sure that the wound part of the string is going to be long enough to clear the nut before the silk winding starts. 

TBH there doesn’t seem to be a lot of choice available for medium scale. Some of the shorter wound length standard scale strings might fit, which is an advantage: it gives you more choice and will probably be cheaper too. Conventional wisdom is that the string shouldn’t be so long that the wound part goes round the machine head shaft. I have also seen quite a few posts from people saying they have never had any problem with this and even use 34” strings on 30” scale basses. Make of that what you will.

Thanks for the advice, I’m just gonna give it a measure and go from there and will check out strings direct 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2022 at 22:44, Cliff Edge said:

One fairly new to me 32” scale Aria TSB650 from 1979 next to my ‘72 Jazz. Both strung with TI jazz flats but the Aria thumps and growls like no Jazz bass ever has. Those pickups are amazing. It’s a dream to play and is my current gigging machine. 

C09011B7-1BE7-4FC6-803C-F7822DF32657.jpeg

Those pickups are indeed absolutely amazing.

I got one of those in my regular 34" Aria Pro II Laser Electric Classic, which was my very first bass ever, that I still own.

Though mine is in the middle position, like the one linked to (as I don't know how to include multiple quotes from different pages of a thread in one single reply).

I believe they are actually full regular humbuckers in the sense that the 2 parallel coils, connected in series, go the full length of the pickups, but then only got pole pieces on one half of each coil, arranged opposite to each, that is a pair of of dual pole pieces, one pole piece on each side of each string, on respectively low E and A string for one coil, and high D and G string for the other coil, just like a reverse P pickup. 

Not 100% sure, but think they are steel pole pieces, with a ceramic bar magnet underneath them, on the bottom of the pickups.

It also features larger than standard pole pieces, as well as the top of the pickup is arced, following the fretboard radius for a more even output across strings.

I'd wish someone would make a clone of this pickup, it is truly spectacular sounding.

Super punchy and muscular, but at the same time really well defined, articulate and clear sounding (and that is all passive, which I actually prefer, even if my bass actually has got a build in active preamp). 

Kind of like a hi-fi (without for that reason sounding polite or sterile in any possible way, just in the sense of sounding very well balanced, defined, articulate and clear sounding) P pickup on steroids. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Think these have been rumoured/expected for a while, but officially announced a new MTD Kingston 32" model

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoxwAlNAth8/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Looks like a much more expensive take on the Ibanez Mezzo. Is it that much better I wonder? They are advertising them on the Bass Direct website in 4 and 5 string versions. Anybody got the spare cash to find out how good they are? 😀

I currently have 3 Ibanez Mezzo's, greedy I know but I'm  upgrading the preamps because as people say they are sh..useless.

One is orange one metallic red and one is flat black. The orange now sports EMG P/J set with the included pre' and the sound is immense to me, so much better.

So easy to play if you have rheumatoid arthritis like me, it just about plays itself, so for about £420 including the bass I have an amazing setup.

Not decided what to do with the other 2 yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tom1946 said:

I currently have 3 Ibanez Mezzo's, greedy I know but I'm  upgrading the preamps because as people say they are sh..useless.

One is orange one metallic red and one is flat black. The orange now sports EMG P/J set with the included pre' and the sound is immense to me, so much better.

So easy to play if you have rheumatoid arthritis like me, it just about plays itself, so for about £420 including the bass I have an amazing setup.

Not decided what to do with the other 2 yet.

I can't see the pictures 😉

5 hours ago, tom1946 said:

Here yer go...

I only need 3 knobs so I prefer the input jack on the front.

IMG_4285.JPG

IMG_4287.JPG

I have the orange version too, just for home use, it's a great bass to play, and I absolutely love the way it looks.

Those MTD basses do look very nice too, a bit pricey compared to the Ibanez though.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve decided to try a medium scale bass and I’m looking for something in the £200 to £500 range. Pre-loved preferably. 

There isn’t a huge amount around compared to short scale.

I’ve created a list of ones I know about.

What am I missing?

Are there any to avoid?

Currently in production 

Squire Jaguar Classic Vibe

Squire jaguar affinity H

Ibanez SRMD200 Mezzo Bass 32”
Aria Pro II JB or JB1

Retrovibe R32 “Telenbacker” 

No longer in production 

Fender pawn shop reverse Jaguar

Squire MIJ medium scale P Bass 80s

Squire telecaster bass??

Yamaha Motion B

Ibanez Roadstar RB600

Fender aerodyne jazzz japan

Retrovibe may have done a 32” 51P in the past

(I’m also going to post in items wanted).

I just had a rush of blood to the head and bought a Maruszczyk medium scale off eBay, which means I need to sell my Jaguar H. I am going to be listing it pretty soon, just need to get a moment to take the photos and write the blurb. I have had the pickup rewired to give 4 conductors and potted to cut the noise. I wired it up with a 3 way switch to give series/single coil/parallel switching. That gives you two less bassy options than the standard series wiring. Also shielded and Fender high mass bridge.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

I just had a rush of blood to the head and bought a Maruszczyk medium scale off eBay, which means I need to sell my Jaguar H. I am going to be listing it pretty soon, just need to get a moment to take the photos and write the blurb. I have had the pickup rewired to give 4 conductors and potted to cut the noise. I wired it up with a 3 way switch to give series/single coil/parallel switching. That gives you two less bassy options than the standard series wiring. Also shielded and Fender high mass bridge.

Good choice

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyndainverse said:

What am I missing?

You can add Fender MIJ JB62M to the 'no longer in production' list. A perfectly scaled down Jazz with all the correct body and neck proportions. Much like the MIJ P (model PB331 btw). Great basses, I have one of each.

• Like 2