Why become a member? ×

Ever wanted a 15 stringer?

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1486228772' post='3230205']
This comes up on BC about every 2 months!
[/quote]

I know! Why do they keep advertising this absolute mess? It's nearly as bad as that dude who keeps 'wrecking' guitars then selling them as something special. "Oh look! Ive glued a toaster to this violin bass, give me 500 quid!"

I messaged him on eBay yesterday:
Please answer honestly, why do you keep posting this piece of junk? Do you really believe any sane person is going to spend a million pounds on this, or even a million pennies?

Answer:
You see the Best Offer link? The big number gets attention to it. People send offers, they might get lucky.

And before people go into 'it's unplayable', really? How would they know? How many 15 string basses have people ever seen, far less played..? My guess would be one. This one. It works perfectly well as a bass of single course tuning or even as a Chapman stick, going 7 up/7 down from the centre.

I trust this answers all such questions.

Edited by spectoremg

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1486282979' post='3230478']
Answer:
You see the Best Offer link? The big number gets attention to it. People send offers, they might get lucky.

And before people go into 'it's unplayable', really? How would they know? How many 15 string basses have people ever seen, far less played..? My guess would be one. This one. It works perfectly well as a bass of single course tuning or even as a Chapman stick, going 7 up/7 down from the centre.

I trust this answers all such questions.
[/quote]

Brilliant! I'm not sure that rhetorical question was a good idea. How do we know it's unplayable? Could it be because some of the lower strings are touching each other, both the lowest and highest strings are hanging off the edges of the fretboard for most of their length and we can see that the frets are poorly seated and sticking up unevenly? Might it also have something to do with the sellers audio file of the instrument failing to make any sort of coherent musical sound which is shared on request?
I mean, the instrument makes noises, but could not be considered "playable" in the usual sense without abandoning traditional expectations of how a fretted stringed instrument functions...

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1486379945' post='3231191']
Tempted to make an offer of £150 and put the damn thing out its misery. Could probably sell most of the parts - and there's a few structural engineers that might be able to make use of the strings in a small suspension bridge...
[/quote]

The neck could be used on one of the new aircraft carriers (we have no jets for)!

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1486379945' post='3231191']
Tempted to make an offer of £150 and put the damn thing out its misery. Could probably sell most of the parts - and there's a few structural engineers that might be able to make use of the strings in a small suspension bridge...
[/quote]

Are there any videos on YouTube of someone trying to actually play one of these things? If not, then it might be worth buying it just so you can be the first person to do that.

And then strip it for parts, of course.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

You can't buy it cos it isn't actually for sale, it's just some loony attention seeking trip the buyer enjoys. He's had it on the bay for ages now on and off for various BIN's - as relatively low as £2.5k recently. Only a complete lunatic would consider it as useful to anyone as a musical instrument.