Why become a member? ×

Barry Adamson / Ovation

fleabag

Any lovers of the talented Barry Adamson ?

Fantastic twanging on the live ' Play ' album around 1980

Unusally he played an Ovation ( a Mk 1 or 2 maybe.... not a 3 or 4 cos i had one - different shape ) , not a prolific model of bass for players of the fat string

Still... might as well give Adamson some air time. Give Me Everything from PLAY. What a riff ...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFVrEJR2jN4[/media]

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1485187615' post='3221908']
I kind of agree with you on Devoto, but spookily, i also think that his strange vocal tone / phrasing seems to really suit the band

Maybe i'm alone in that, though
[/quote]

No, I totally agree. Magazine just wouldn't be Magazine without Devoto's unique voice.

I definitely understand the appeal. I can appreciate his timbre and even delivery, but whenever I hear a Magazine song I just find myself wishing he could carry a melody in a more substantial way. But again, the problem lies more within my ears rather than his singing. It is a tad frustrating though, because musically I find them really great.

Quite like a bit of Magazine on occasion - reminder to dig some out!

Love 'Secondhand Daylight' and 'The Correct Use Of Soap' - both classics. TBH, I found the other albums a bit more mixed.

The Peel Sessions album is amazing - can't recommend it enough. Bass tone on it is also fantastic in places.....the more relaxed and stripped-down feel of the sessions gives them a different feel to the albums.

Side note - anyone ever noticed how the track 'Because You're Frightened' is a cheeky steal of 'Disorder' from Joy Division?

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1485184190' post='3221862']
Any lovers of the talented Barry Adamson ?

Fantastic twanging on the live ' Play ' album around 1980

Unusally he played an Ovation ( a Mk 1 or 2 maybe.... not a 3 or 4 cos i had one - different shape ) , not a prolific model of bass for players of the fat string

Still... might as well give Adamson some air time. Give Me Everything from PLAY. What a riff ...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFVrEJR2jN4[/media]
[/quote]

Is that the same bass that Jah Wobble plays/played?

I've got a lot of time for Magazine. Barry auditioned for the band as a complete bass novice (listen to the bassline on "The Light Pours out of Me") and progressed very quickly. "A Song From Under the Floorboards" is superb. Devoto's arch delivery is part of the charm, he's not a powerful singer but he was a great lyricist and had a weird "Emcee from Cabaret" kind of charisma.

• Like 1

[quote name='Lightlyseared' timestamp='1485196740' post='3222023']
I've got a lot of time for Magazine. Barry auditioned for the band as a complete bass novice (listen to the bassline on "The Light Pours out of Me") and progressed very quickly. "A Song From Under the Floorboards" is superb. Devoto's arch delivery is part of the charm, he's not a powerful singer but he was a great lyricist and had a weird "Emcee from Cabaret" kind of charisma.
[/quote]

Very interested to learn that about Mr Adamson... Thanks. :)

He is one of my favourite bass players and I would put Magazine's first album 'Real Life' in my top 10-20 favourite albums ever. And 'The Light Pours Out of Me' is a fantastic piece of music.

As for Howard Devoto, I've always loved his vocal delivery and his lyrics and as a founding member of The Buzzcocks, as well as his work with Magazine, his place in British punk/post-punk musical history is pretty much assured..

Got to agree with other comments about John McGeoch too; an absolute genius!

Magazine / Barry Adamson / Ovation Magnum - respectively probably the most underrated band, bassist, and bass of the late '70's / early '80's
"Secondhand daylight" is the standout album for me; listen to "Back to nature" and "Permafrost" for some lovely bass tones and playing
Saw them live in 1980 (Liverpool Uni) - crucially Barry's bass was really prominent in the mix, some post-punk "gobbing" still going on which really annoyed Devoto....

And yes I do own an Ovation Magnum (1, fretless), longest keeper by far

• Like 1