Why become a member? ×

One in a series..Why would someone a G & L ??

BaggyMan

[quote name='ryan0583' timestamp='1482776605' post='3202680']
I use my L2500 for everything. It's comfortable, versatile and sounds great. I also love the switching options as they allow you to select between two or three different sounds very quickly.
[/quote]

I love the EQ. Dials from north to south,

1. Volume
2. Treble
3. Bass.

Switches from north to south.

1. Pick Up selection (parallel & series) 2. Bass boost
3. Treble boost.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482778804' post='3202694']

I love the EQ. Dials from north to south,

1. Volume
2. Treble
3. Bass.

Switches from north to south.

1. Pick Up selection (parallel & series) 2. Bass boost
3. Treble boost.

Blue
[/quote]

Dials are correct, switches nearly there *sorry to be pedantic*

1 is pick up selector, Neck/Both/Bridge
2. Is for the poles on the pickups - Series (bass boost)/parallel (bass cut)
3. Is passive/pre-amp on/treble boost

Hope you don't think i am too geeky!

What are your other basses the ASAT is blowing out the water?

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1482779225' post='3202700']

Dials are correct, switches nearly there *sorry to be pedantic*

1 is pick up selector, Neck/Both/Bridge
2. Is for the poles on the pickups - Series (bass boost)/parallel (bass cut)
3. Is passive/pre-amp on/treble boost

Hope you don't think i am too geeky!

What are your other basses the ASAT is blowing out the water?
[/quote]

No problem, thanks for correcting me.

In terms of value and utility. Hell, my Gibson Les Paul Gold Top bass and my Gibson Custom Shop ES-335 bass cost quadruple the price of my G&L ASAT. However my G&L sees the lion's share of my gigs.

Granted my LP and ES-335 are the coolest looking basses on the planet,IMO. And I only use them for their looks.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482780387' post='3202715']

No problem, thanks for correcting me.

In terms of value and utility. Hell, my Gibson Les Paul Gold Top bass and my Gibson Custom Shop ES-335 bass cost quadruple the price of my G&L ASAT. However my G&L sees the lion's share of my gigs.

Granted my LP and ES-335 are the coolest looking basses on the planet,IMO. And I only use them for their looks.

Blue
[/quote]

Horses for courses.

I like your MIJ 50s Precisions a lot, but if was to choose one bass from your collection, based purely on aesthetics, I'd take the ASAT every time.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1482795668' post='3202810']

Horses for courses.

I like your MIJ 50s Precisions a lot, but if was to choose one bass from your collection, based purely on aesthetics, I'd take the ASAT every time.
[/quote]

Well, since my ASAT is my primary gigging bass these days I don't have an argument.

Blue

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1482781478' post='3202734']
Can't argue with you there in looks, but an ASAT is pretty darned good looking too!
[/quote]

I think for me it's because I'm not sure where I stand on or what I think of the blue burst color pattern.

However, it's a 1991 and the amount of birds eye in the maple neck looks really cool.

Blue

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1482830080' post='3202894']
Well,you have seen my ASAts, silve and black which i love colour wise and the honey burst is pretty handsome for the other.
We have had lots of love for L2s, ASAT, JB, SB series, is there anyone out there with a J or MJ willing to testify?!
[/quote]

A student of mine had an M series tribute. It was ridiculously good, nothing comes close for value. Other products at that price point all feel like there's a corner cut somewhere but that bass was like the Subaru Impreza STI of guitars, giant killer!

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1482832428' post='3202912']
A student of mine had an M series tribute. It was ridiculously good, nothing comes close for value. Other products at that price point all feel like there's a corner cut somewhere but that bass was like the Subaru Impreza STI of guitars, giant killer!
[/quote]

As far as I can see, there's one little corner cut on the Tribute M versus US: the ¼" socket. The Tribute has one of those long threaded cylindrical sockets, whereas the US version has a normal socket (Switchcraft?) mounted on a plate. The former is a bit more prone to failure and can't be fixed in the field by bending!

[quote name='threedaymonk' timestamp='1482844868' post='3203020']

As far as I can see, there's one little corner cut on the Tribute M versus US: the ¼" socket. The Tribute has one of those long threaded cylindrical sockets, whereas the US version has a normal socket (Switchcraft?) mounted on a plate. The former is a bit more prone to failure and can't be fixed in the field by bending!
[/quote]

Fair point, I didn't notice (but have had to fix my fair share of fender style jacks of the years as a classroom teacher!) The jack on my ASAT has been superb, never need looking at once. But mustn't eulogise, I realise that!

Why buy one? Versatile, excellent pickups, very nicely put together (in the Cort factory, I understand), great tones. I could go on. I had a L2000 Trib. Astonishingly good for the money. The only reason I sold it was because I've played J basses for 30 years and just couldn't get on with the wider, flatter neck. I did persevere with it, because the instrument was so good, but in the end, I tried a P Bass Special and marginally preferred it to play, so bought it, even though the sound isn't quite as good. If the G&L neck suits your hand, go for one.