Why become a member? ×

One in a series..Why would someone a G & L ??

BaggyMan

ASAT 5 is a rare beast, probably about 10 made in the world, bassist from Skunk Anansie had at least 1.
There was one for sale recently but it was in the states, although there may be about 3-5 in Europe hanging around.

Don't think there were any semi's though.

I'll just have to stick to drop tuning mine...

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1482859621' post='3203112']
My wonderful wunkay

[/quote]

Gareth - I've said more than once that you've got a cracking taste in instruments.
and then you go and show me about the only bass on my GAS list, in my favourite colour. And I mean favourite colour for everything, I didn't even know G&L used it.
Please promise me you'll never show pictures of her again... and if you do, and it's ever in a sale post you give me a months warning to get the money together....!
drooling

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1482875833' post='3203314']
ASAT 5 is a rare beast, probably about 10 made in the world, bassist from Skunk Anansie had at least 1.
There was one for sale recently but it was in the states, although there may be about 3-5 in Europe hanging around.

Don't think there were any semi's though.

I'll just have to stick to drop tuning mine...
[/quote]

There was one in huddersfield in the late 90s, first G&L I played. Belonged to a guy called Craig! I wonder what happened to both of them.

Was that an ASAT Semi 5 banger?!

If it was a solid I know one went through the bass store in Manchester which is now closing, could be the same one, but then the trail dies. I think I found someone on bassesbyleo who knows where it is, or I think it may have been the guy, but he was holding firm.

How about this one though if you raid the piggy bank...

https://cartervintage.com/collections/basses/products/gl-bass-asat-prototype?variant=19792759939

If I remember correctly (I was at uni at the time, details are hazy) it was a solid. He'd got it from a pretty good shop in Huddersfield, but I can't remember the colour etc. I was playing trumpet in the local tech college soul band, he was the bassist and then we had a little side band for a while. I've never seen one since and had convinced myself it couldn't be a 5 because of that! The prototype looks fascinating, but I'm sure a few pencil lines by Leo don't add that much value.

I really like the look of the ASAT bass, and a blue semi hollow body four string was for sale on here a while back, left handed too, so I went and had a look. Really nice guy selling it, really nice thing, loved it, but as soon as you let go of the neck and moved slightly, the neck headed for the floor. Rather put me off. And yes, that was with a wide strap - I took mine with me. Never had my hands on a solid body four string so I don't know if they have the same tendency but I would have thought a five string might well be the same? Some guy in the US was even making a strap bracket that mounted on the neck bolts to move the top strap button nearer the 12th fret but it did look rather ugly! On reflection, I still wish I'd bought it though, and I am seriously considering an L2000. Probably USA if I can find a decent 2nd hand lefty, or can I be persuaded to just order a Tribute..........?

Edited by phil.c60

@phil.c60
Look at my earlier post on page one and you will see the silver solid body complete with extender, sorry it's only a thumbnail. To me anyway it's not that ugly and barely noticeable.
I found my solid body has more neck dive, but I think it is specifically because it has a thick number 7 neck which is like a baseball bat.
My semi hollow has the thin number 8 neck and less neck dive.
Granted it goes horizontal but to me the dive is over stated and it's not digging the floor.
I'm not dUg Pinnick but I have fairly long arms so it's not a problem.
When I first played it I thought the dive was terrible, but trust me persevere and you will not notice strap extender or not as it looks super cool and that semi hollow just sings. You won't get that in an L2

I tried out another tele style bass last week and the bass felt most comfortable when held in a more horizontal position than is usual for me. I think the ASAT "neck dive" is a reference to that. Some people will be very comfortable and others not. This guy demonstrates what I mean.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TuBzfEK43Q"]https://www.youtube....h?v=6TuBzfEK43Q[/url]

Edited by Pinball

Hey Pinball!
Great vid! I completely agree with what you are saying, some of it is a getting used to thing, some of it, people will just not quite like, which is fine, but it is worth persevering in my view. When i first used the Silver bass, i used the strap extender, but then i took a punt and went native and after a while, it felt really natural, and i was not pulling up too much. The cool guy in the vid still has his bass fairly high, and i think it will therefore be no bother, mine is strapped lower, but horizontal is still cool and if i let go, the bass does not fall to the floor. If you like a playing position like Flea or Robert Trujillo, then it probably is not your thing as it will always be falling away more, rather than having a more upright starting position.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1482772413' post='3202637']
Pet hate of mine! :( Much prefer one vol and a pan pot.... you can't do volume swells with two volumes!
[/quote]
RE: Sb-2 You can still do you just need to turn the J pup down as the front pup sounds great on it's own. Of course you will be left without tonal options but what a great tone it has

This guy explains it well, and nice tones near the end.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgIp-czCOiw

Edited by Pinball

You know that G&L's must be doing something right when my other favourite manufacturere are following them. Watch this vid and notice the slightly hotter pups on the Cutless. I could wear with my eyes shut that it was an SB-2 and what about the two volumes controls of the Caprice. They look like nice bits of kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FfUNsdb55Y