Why become a member? ×

Miserable Christmas Songs

niagra

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1482268982' post='3199163']
Think you've missed the remit BT. OP looking for miserable, that was just sh*t. :lol:
[/quote]

:)
Yeah, I was wondering about the meaning of the term "miserable", but was comforted by the OP's word "humbug", which BTW I may have misinterpreted as well.
Bah, if only I had Wiktionary on the shelf!

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1482269437' post='3199168']

:)
Yeah, I was wondering about the meaning of the term "miserable", but was comforted by the OP's word "humbug", which BTW I may have misinterpreted as well.
Bah, if only I had Wiktionary on the shelf!
[/quote]

99% of the time your English is perfect to the extent that if I hadn't read some of your other posts where you mention it, I wouldn't know that it isn't your first language.

In this context 'miserable' means 'depressing' or 'melancholy'.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1482252794' post='3198925']
I doubt you'll find a more miserable song than this:

[media]http://youtu.be/SzaflC73iTk[/media]

Even more miserable these days than when Peter Steele wrote it, too. I guess it's what he would have wanted. :(
[/quote]

Beat me to it. Miserable but utterly beautiful. I love this album.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1482270246' post='3199175']
I wouldn't know that it isn't your first language.
[/quote]

Thanks, man. You know, when writing, foreigners like me can use the sub-set of English that we feel just about comfortable enough with.
When reading however, we're on our own. I personally look up some stuff, but sometimes just assume.
Some BC members' posts are hard to understand most of the time, whilst other members' posts are normally well-understood.

That's not to say I look down on those whose posts go over my head! ;)

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1482270246' post='3199175']
In this context 'miserable' means 'depressing' or 'melancholy'.
[/quote]

Thanks. Aye, I got that it could mean that, but then was tricked by "humbug", which I thought just meant nonsense or garbage or similar.
The song I posted is worse than garbage. It's the stuff you get when people who're already stupid idiots in addition try to act cynically - a truly venomous combination.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1482275169' post='3199237']

Thanks, man. You know, when writing, foreigners like me can use the sub-set of English that we feel just about comfortable enough with.
When reading however, we're on our own. I personally look up some stuff, but sometimes just assume.
Some BC members' posts are hard to understand most of the time, whilst other members' posts are normally well-understood.

That's not to say I look down on those whose posts go over my head! ;)

[/quote]
I know this feeling ; I worked in Austria and Germany a lot and my colleagues rather oblique literary references left me baffled as I didn't have the background to know them, and it's not something you pick up in school

Humbug is said by mr Scrooge in Charles dickens' "a Christmas carol", expressing his dissatisfaction with jollity and Christmas generally

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1482359025' post='3199946']
I worked in Austria and Germany a lot and my colleagues rather oblique literary references left me baffled as I didn't have the background to know them, and it's not something you pick up in school
[/quote]

Worked?
School?
I'm not sure I have the energy to look those words up. :(
;)

I recognise this the other way round: coming from circles in Holland where oblique literary references are the order of the day, I suddenly lost an audience when moving to Norway.
Initially I thought this was a cultural thing, but happily I found out later it was more innocent and just that Norwegians are stupid... :D
(Seriously though: it IS a cultural thing. People with more education than I have could react strongly toetroddenly. :) )

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1482427933' post='3200542']
I recognise this the other way round: coming from circles in Holland where oblique literary references are the order of the day, I suddenly lost an audience when moving to Norway.
Initially I thought this was a cultural thing, but happily I found out later it was more innocent and just that Norwegians are stupid... :D
(Seriously though: it IS a cultural thing. People with more education than I have could react strongly toetroddenly. :) )
[/quote]

I look forward to finding out what toetroddenly means :unsure: .

In the bleak midwinter is a bit maudlin at the best of times. But done by Bert Jansch it's also a bit sublime too...

http://youtu.be/yRQ_FoeFO3Q

Not all miserable but here is an alternative Christmas playlist I did for our work Mixtape Friday last year (no Bing, no Noddy, no Nat, no Roy...)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGIYNBxcSZ3ulEh_6hUrfomkvT5AUqdWt

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1482446489' post='3200753']
Maybe I've overstepped here, but I footloosely meant that people reacted as if their toes had been trodden by someone.
[/quote]

At the moment as far as I can see the only instances of the word "toetroddenly" are in this thread. I think it would make a great addition to the English language and vow to use it from now on whenever I can!

Probably "Christmas 1979" by Wild Billy Childish and the Musicians of the British Empire".

Some of the lyrics...

"[font=Whitney, sans-serif][size=5]My father walked in pissed through the door[/size][/font]
[font=Whitney, sans-serif][size=5]And chucked the telly across the floor[/size][/font]
[font=Whitney, sans-serif][size=5]Then he fell drunk to his bed[/size][/font]
[font=Whitney, sans-serif][size=5]And these were the last words he ever said[/size][/font]

[font=Whitney, sans-serif][size=5]Merry f***ing Christmas to you all![/size][/font]
[font=Whitney, sans-serif][size=5]Merry f***ing Christmas to you all!"[/size][/font]

[font=Whitney, sans-serif][size=5]The last line repeated ad infinitum.[/size][/font]

Edited by Kirky