Why become a member? ×

Where to try a USA MM Sterling in the uk, what's the neck like?

Max Normal

I swapped for a Sterling SB14 on here a couple of years back and to be honest even though it's a mid-range bass, I like it a lot. It plays beautifully with its slimline neck profile and Jazz nut width, just right for me. I was happy to pass on my two USA precisions and my Lakland Bob Glaub once I had got it.

It sounds great through my SVT rig too, very punchy and with some of the "Stingray" tone, but maybe a little honky when DI'd or recorded. The finish and fretboard is overall very good, but there is just a hint of "Fenderitis" on the frets where the neck joins the body. I have done many gigs with it with no problems, it plays fast and cuts through the mix nicely.

However, I read that the USA Sterling 4H is a much better bass, and now I have had this one, i want to buy the real thing. Strangely though, all the UK dealers seem happy to sell USA Stingrays, but no USA Sterlings, although they have loads of mid-range and learner copies of the Sterling like the SUB series. I played a SUB in a music shop and the neck had a thick, slow vintage feel to compared to the SB14 it and it didn't work well for me at all.

I'm confident that the USA Sterling will sound good, and I have listened to Demos online, but before I splash out nearly £2K for the a USA Sterling, I want to play it so I can feel what the neck is like.

Does anyone know somewhere that sells USA Sterlings? If not, has anybody played one and can you tell me what the neck feels like? The Jazz nut is a given, but how chunky is the neck profile?

Thanks!

USA Sterlings are pretty rare beasts - I bought mine in 1999/2000 after finally managing to try one at the Birmingham guitar show, but I still had to place an order and wait for it to be shipped over form the USA.

I've not had a lot of experience playing a Fender Jazz, so I can't offer a direct comparison, but from what I recall, the Jazz has a 'V' profile compared to the Sterling's 'C' profile. The Sterling neck is narrow but chunky - much thicker from front to back compared to the Japanese/Korean built basses that I was used to playing at the time. However, I do find it a very comfortable neck to play, and any time another bassist has played it, they also comment on how nice the neck feels.

You can pick up a second hand Sterling for around £800 as they're not especially popular at the moment, but given they're £1500 new (if you can find one) £800 is a bit of a bargain for a very nice bass (IMHO).

It all depends on which Jazz you're comparing it to as well. I own 2 Jazzes and the necks are a bit different, width and depth wise. I've owned 2 other Jazzes in the past too, and they were both quite different from the 2 I have now, and very different from each other....

The Subs I have played had quite slender necks, compared with the US MM's I've played (I once had a US Stingray - it was well built and sounded good, but it was a tad heavy for my liking, and I found the neck on that chunkier than any Jazz I've ever played) Haven't seen many US MM's of any description for sale lately. But they did have a couple in A-strings in Pontypridd, South Wales a little while back - whether they have a Sterling in atm I don't know. Perhaps drop them a line? Bit of a trek for you though....

Good luck in your search

If you're ordering new you can specify the SLO Special which is essentially a Stingray with a Sterling neck. This would be my choice - admittedly I've not played one to compare, but I have checked out a ton of demos and always found the Sterlings lacking tonally compared to the 'Ray.

Just messaged Andrew, the guy who runs A-strings in Pontypridd. He replied almost immediately. I think they have a few different models in. They're official dealers, he informs me, and was wondering exactly what you're after....
Here's their website
[url="http://www.astrings.co.uk/"]http://www.astrings.co.uk/[/url]

Give them a try, if you fancy a trip to South Wales, or if you're passing anywhere nearby...
They're a great shop. Andrew is a really knowlegable, helpful, friendly kinda guy - I always get tea or coffee when I call in :)

Edited by Marc S

Glad you have some options there.

Regarding the US Sterling, it's actually a lot more versatile than a Stingray, having a series, parallel and a single coil type option available by selector switch, on top of the usual 3 band EQ. The pick up is ceramic - so they are basically similar electronics to a 1992-2008 SR5. The body is smaller than a Stingray and as you know the neck is more to a Jazz bass profile.

The SLO Stingray, which along with all Stingrays also has one less fret than a Sterling, is as rare as hen's teeth but could be ordered new. You could order one with a 2 band EQ if that's what you're after.

I've been looking into this at the moment too, albeit with 5string Musicman basses.
I emailed Strings & Things (who were very helpful), but they mentioned that they had no stock of Sterling 5s in the U.K. I was invited to order one, but thenorder would take 5-6months potentially. They weren't able to let me know if there were any dealers with stock (Google suggests there isn't).

I've got a couple of friends with Sterling 5s, but with them and I being busy players, we're like ships in the night.
This means I'll likely go for a Stingray 5, which propagates this 'very few Sterlings' in the U.K. thing.

Cheers
Si

I tried one in a music shop in Redhill, they had a bunch of Musicman stuff and were happy for me to try it all. I specifically went down there because of the Sterling. Can't remember the name of the shop but google will tell you. (I didn't like the Sterling - I did like the Stingray tho.)

Towards the end of last year I had an older Stingray 5 with the ceramic pickup that I found to be a bit too heavy for long function gigs so I decided to go for a Sterling which, although not identical, is pretty similar sounding to the Stingray 5 that I had.

Side by side the Sterling is lighter than a [size=4]stingray 4, the neck is nice and slim which makes it easier to play, for me at least. To make it even better for me I changed the tuners to ultralights and fitted a Hipshot extender with the double stop lever so I can go down to low B on the E string.[/size]

[size=4]I bought mine from GAK without trying it and am still loving it. GAK have a [url="https://www.gak.co.uk/en/music-man-sterling-natural-rosewood/25845"]natural one in stock now[/url] at a really low price compared to normal[/size]

[size=4]I had Chromes on mine until recently but was missing the growl so changed back to rounds.[/size]

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1481580872' post='3193519']
GAK have a [url="https://www.gak.co.uk/en/music-man-sterling-natural-rosewood/25845"]natural one in stock now[/url] at a really low price compared to normal
[/quote]

Wow what a beaut! Price is a no-brainer, I see them going for much more when new. I love mine. The neck is great but not as sleek as the neck on my Lakland DJ4. The Sterling is a bit fatter back to front, the oil finish feels silky.

I have a Sterling 5 - a particularly lightweight one became available on here. The build quality is fantastic. I used to have a Ray SB14, which was extremely good for the money, but the Sterling is a level or two better. 5 string with Ultralite tuners it weighs 3.9kg, so just around 8.6lbs. Neck is 43mm at the nut.

The only thing I wasn't happy about was the sound in as much as I am basically a Precision bass person but couldn't get a Precision tone out of it. Precision 5s are too heavy and the neck too wide, so having a P pickup put into this was the obvious answer. And I had it changed to passive, which I prefer. Now I couldn't be more pleased with it.

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1481585369' post='3193567']
What kind of RW strings? Mine is strung with MM's default Slinky's ATM. Planning on trying DR Fat Beams on it.
[/quote]

I did have a set of Rotosound Billy Sheehan strings as it has a heavier E which is handy when detuning but I got 4 gigs out of them before they went completely dead so I've gone back to my favourites which are D'Addario EXL165

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1481580872' post='3193519']
GAK have a [url="https://www.gak.co.uk/en/music-man-sterling-natural-rosewood/25845"]natural one in stock now[/url] at a really low price compared to normal[/size]

[/quote]

Oh man, if that were a 5, it would be on its way to me.

Si

I don't have a Sterling 4, but I have played a few, and I've played a Big Al 4 which has the same neck.

I still think the Sterling neck is less 'crampy' than a Jazz neck. It's very fast and smooth without being too much like a Jazz. I don't mind Jazz necks at all, but I tend to find really skinny Jazz necks cramp my hands and I do not have big hands!

The annoying thing is, the market is there, people want the instruments, yet stock isn't really available. Musicman must be hitting it out the park as it used to be 3 month wait (and it was like this since the late 90s when I ordered my first one) which moved to about 4 months a few years back. 5-6 months....and they've slimmed down options and colours...so they must be VERY busy. I imagine it is more the guitar side as they have some fantastic new high quality guitars out.

I have a Sterling 5 HS...it is pretty light, different tone to the Stingray....more aggressive...very 'fast' response, which is no doubt the ceramic magnet pickup and more cutting part of the hi mids? Not sure.

Stingray 5/ Sterling 5 have the same neck....all will vary a little (only a tiny bit) but the 5 string neck is great.

guitar guitar in birmingham have a black one in stock
[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=160620298818008"]http://www.guitargui...160620298818008[/url]

I am waiting for one, having ordered a 4HH - 6 month wait

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1481625042' post='3193741']
6 months! Wow....it's also crazy to see the Sterling H at GAK (with upgraded natural finish) for so much cheaper due to the obvious....
[/quote]

yeah - I am 2 1/2 weeks in to my quoted 6 month wait and it already feels like too long.
There don't seem to be many Sterling 4HH in the UK - I am grateful to a retailer who agreed to sell me one at a pre price rise price- that sort of makes the wait seem a little more bearable.

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1481623028' post='3193726']
guitar guitar in birmingham have a black one in stock
[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=160620298818008"]http://www.guitargui...160620298818008[/url]
[/quote]

And it's a fairly new one too. Note the bear icon on the back of the headstock. This must mean there's a demand for them, albeit lower than for Stingrays.