Why become a member? ×

Barefaced combo?

itsmedunc

I wouldn't start opening them up. Alex is pretty particular on the construction, especially the cross bracing to keep them rigid while using lightweight plywood.

I followed a thread on another site a few years ago when he was making the prototype. It's very clever.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1480097347' post='3181696']
I wouldn't start opening them up. Alex is pretty particular on the construction, especially the cross bracing to keep them rigid while using lightweight plywood.

I followed a thread on another site a few years ago when he was making the prototype. It's very clever.
[/quote]

Ummm, I thought as much. Would be interesting to see the plans. Thanks for the info though...

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1480097347' post='3181696']

[/quote]

Have you got a link...I believe that prototype is about three meters from where I'm typing this...

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1480106350' post='3181799']

Have you got a link...I believe that prototype is about three meters from where I'm typing this...
[/quote]

No. I believe he took down all the photos and everything. It was amazingly detailed. Think it lasted about two years. Different drivers, box sizes, WinISD plots, crossovers. Different thickness ply, bracings in different places. The slot depth and width were adjustable at one point so that he could test the low end frequency responses.

There has been some serious work done.

Edited by TimR

Most cabs use 3/4" ply, I believe Alex uses 3/8" void free ply. Thats half the thickness but high quality. The cross bracing adds strength but also stops the cab walls vibrating. It's also very important for the box to be sealed except where the ports are.

I can find the write up for his 10"+15" cab but think there is more. There are no pictures.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1480115633' post='3181875']
Because Alex moved from an interested DIYer to a manufacturing company.

No companies publicise their prototype work.
[/quote]

No, I mean why would you want to take a speaker cab that's been designed to be a speaker cab, and mess with it ? It just seems odd, I don't see how you'd gain anything.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1480117482' post='3181880']
No, I mean why would you want to take a speaker cab that's been designed to be a speaker cab, and mess with it ? It just seems odd, I don't see how you'd gain anything.
[/quote]

Ah ha. . . crossed wires. Sorry. I don't see why either.

Dunc - I had similar thoughts to you. I've tried several of the 'lightweight but loud combos' and not liked any of them particularly. Markbass, Fender Rumble etc. Either not light enough, not loud enough or I don't like the tone. I have pretty much abandoned the idea of getting one, despite how convenient it would be.

I read the thread about these new Quilter Bass Block 800 heads and decided to take the plunge. Early days but I am very much taken with it. Really tiny - small enough to carry along with something else and not notice it. Under 2kg and extremely small. Great tone, very loud and seem to match nicely with Barefaced cabs - at least the two I have tried. It means my rehearsal carry is now more than 10kg lighter and more streamlined, which was my thwarted aim when looking for a combo. I can use the BF 110 with my quieter band, Supercompact with the rock band. Small gigs, too I would imagine, if I can bear to divorce myself from my beloved Trace Elliot head. I used it at last night's gig with my rock band at pub gig volume, intending to just try it but ended up with it all night.

Edited by Paul S

I don't see why a combo is difficult to comprehend, even though it isn't my normal choice the idea of plug and play with light weight and the sound of your choice is appealing, why not?

I can't see Alex doing this soon though. I used to manufacture custom speakers back in the 70's. One of the retailers I supplied persuaded me to produce amps. The multiplication of both suppliers and processes killed what had been a growing business. I was completely under capitalized and that along with the increased workload finished me off. If you are small it makes much more sense to stick with what you are good at. Maybe if you are big too.

Edited by Phil Starr

Personally I prefer the option of being able to use my own choice of amp head with my BF cabs, rather than being stuck with just one. The only extra setup time comes from placing the head on top of the cab(s) and connecting them with a speaker lead - I think I can live with that.

I used one of the Genz Benz Shuttle combos for a while. Basically it had a sheet-metal frame screwed to the top to hold the amp. It was undoubtedly very convenient for quick set-ups but ultimately limiting. Use the cab with a different head and you have an awkward lump of metal getting in the way. You will also need an adaptor to plug into the male Speakon connector. Using the head with a different cab and it takes longer to remove it from its mounting than just grabbing a gig bag. I found the format useful, but I am not sure that I would choose it again. For the price of plugging in a Speakon cable I prefer the flexibility of what I have now - separate head and cab.