Why become a member? ×

Dilemma

Ajoten

I tried two £1.5k basses the other day. One had the best neck profile I've ever played, the other has the tone and class that I want but a pretty ordinary neck, not much different to my current bass 1/10th the price.

In the past the neck has always sold a guitar to me, but the shape and stupidly complicated electronics of this particular model puts me right off in this case.

Give me some ideas re how to choose.

For me personally it's got to feel right before anything else. There's no point having a lovely sounding bass if it's a complete bitch to play, but then there's no point having a bass that plays itself if it sounds like a fart in a tin can. I guess you’ll have to weigh up the pros and cons of both and decide what will ultimately be more beneficial to you. Do you think you’d get used to the “stupidly complicated electronics” of the one that feels great, or do you think you’ll get around the feel of the one that sounds great?
For me I’d probably wait till I found one that does both, but that’s only because I think I’m in a good place bass wise at the moment (cue the GAS...). Each to their own though – you pays your money, you takes your choice…

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='303657' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:35 AM']For me personally it's got to feel right before anything else. There's no point having a lovely sounding bass if it's a complete bitch to play, but then there's no point having a bass that plays itself if it sounds like a fart in a tin can. I guess you’ll have to weigh up the pros and cons of both and decide what will ultimately be more beneficial to you. Do you think you’d get used to the “stupidly complicated electronics” of the one that feels great, or do you think you’ll get around the feel of the one that sounds great?
For me I’d probably wait till I found one that does both, but that’s only because I think I’m in a good place bass wise at the moment (cue the GAS...). Each to their own though – you pays your money, you takes your choice…[/quote]

I'm intrigued to which bass has stupid electronics? All basses are fairly simple in operation aren't they? The only bass that comes to mind with an out of the ordinary operation are those new Enfields (although I'm reserving judgement til I have seen them at Bass Day) and the inconvienience of those Alembics with the special break out boxes...?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='303710' date='Oct 10 2008, 11:19 AM']I'm intrigued to which bass has stupid electronics? All basses are fairly simple in operation aren't they? The only bass that comes to mind with an out of the ordinary operation are those new Enfields (although I'm reserving judgement til I have seen them at Bass Day) and the inconvienience of those Alembics with the special break out boxes...?[/quote]

+1

It doesn’t really take much longer than 5 mins twiddling to get to grips with the most complicated on-board electronics.

Daft electronics = anything with more than one tone control. I don't understand all this fancy EQ malarkey, I just want my [b]one [/b]good sound, and if I have 4 or 5 knobs AND 2 switches to twiddle a) how do I know what to twiddle and ii) surely I don't have to write down each setting etc in order to keep a tone after things get twiddled accidentally?

So: I want passive Precision tone and style but a Warwick neck. And I'd be wasting lots of wonga on things I'd never use if I went Warwick. I think it's the waste that troubles me most.

Feel free to recommend a passive 5 string with the mother of all necks (depth not width).

Edited by Ajoten

[quote name='Ajoten' post='303739' date='Oct 10 2008, 11:53 AM']Daft electronics = anything with more than one tone control. I don't understand all this fancy EQ malarkey, I just want my [b]one [/b]good sound, and if I have 4 or 5 knobs AND 2 switches to twiddle a) how do I know what to twiddle and ii) surely I don't have to write down each setting etc in order to keep a tone after things get twiddled accidentally?

So: I want passive Precision tone and style but a Warwick neck. And I'd be wasting lots of wonga on things I'd never use if I went Warwick. I think it's the waste that troubles me most.

Feel free to recommend a passive 5 string with the mother of all necks (depth not width).[/quote]

There's always a few passive Streamer Standards knocking about (i sold my 5 for about £200), lovely Warwick neck and a passive humbucker. I sold mine cos it looked like a Warwick but sounded like a Precision! The only controls are a volume (with push/pull) and tone

When you're looking at spending such a sum of money, the bass world is definately your oyster! I would echo the sentiments of others on here in that you shouldn't throw the cash down unless you are 100% happy with the bass. At the price point which you're looking at, you can always have words with a luthier and get a quote for something custom made.

The only 2 builders that I have experience with are Sei and ACG.

With Sei, you'll be looking at a pre-owned bass but they are ridiculously good and have a fantastic reputation. Visit [url="http://www.seibass.com"]www.seibass.com[/url] and give them a call or an e-mail. Sei HQ is downstairs in The Bass Gallery which is regarded now as the best bass place in London. I don't know where you are in the country, but they're worth a visit if you can. More details at [url="http://www.thebassgallery.com"]www.thebassgallery.com[/url]

Alan at AC Guitars is building a bass for me at the moment. He has access to some great woods, has some great designs and also he has his filter-based preamp. I know it seems like a lot of knobs, but you can always set it and leave it. Visit [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk"]www.acguitars.co.uk[/url] and you can always give Alan a call and throw some ideas at him.

Best of luck in your search!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='303776' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:35 PM']There's always a few passive Streamer Standards knocking about (i sold my 5 for about £200), lovely Warwick neck and a passive humbucker. I sold mine cos it looked like a Warwick but sounded like a Precision! The only controls are a volume (with push/pull) and tone[/quote]

+1 to this.

Not the current Rockbass version but the old Warwick Streamer Std. Warwick only made them for two years. They're pretty cheap now but have a really nice neck.

Drop £200 one one of those and buy a huge rig with the rest! :)

[url="http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/streamer_std.html"]http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/streamer_std.html[/url]

Just cos a bass has lots of knobs you dont have to play with them (difficult not to play with your knob I know :) )- but like others have said the money you are spending you should be able to get what you want - you should not have to compromise when spending 1.5K. Thats what my Spitfire based GB P bass cost and its only got 3 knobs. If you had it passive with no knobs it would be even cheaper. If you want P bass vibe with a chunky neck ala Warwick then look at the Sandberg P style basses or if you want a thinner neck look at the Lakland P based guitars.

[quote name='Ajoten' post='303572' date='Oct 10 2008, 09:10 AM']In the past the neck has always sold a guitar to me, but the shape and stupidly complicated electronics of this particular model puts me right off in this case.[/quote]

I'm with you 100% here. Playing is a tactile pursuit. Always get one that feels lovely, Tone is just a matter of swapping easily changed electrical bits about..... :)

Definitely have a word with a luthier if you have very specific requirements, I suspect you might get change out of £1500 quid for that basic spec too. For me the compromise has always been in favour of tone. I own a couple of basses that I don't get around that easily on but if you have decent finger strength (and I play usually with a light touch) then you can take the instrument by the proverbial scruff of the neck and play it a little more assertively than usual to get the tone needed. But whether you can be arsed doing that is obviously up to you.

It's one of my oft quoted mantras - stolen from a Pat Travers interview I read.

Buy the instrument that feels right when you play it. Anything else can be sorted with a screwdriver , a soldering iron and a spray gun.

I'd also go along with what other have said. If you have very fixed and clear ideas for a bass to suit your requirements but such an animal doesn't exist off the peg - talk to a respected luthier. Be careful though. Your idea of x body + y neck + z guts = perfection may not add up at all once it's in your hands.

BTW - Bass Ferret makes a good point. You don't have to twiddle a knob just because it exists. Maybe it makes more sense to have a control available but under/un used than it does to not have it available.

With £1500 in my pocket I bet I could find a bass that I liked; just like the truth, it is out there! :huh:

I assume that you were looking at a 'new' bass as opposed to used? Seeing as how you mentioned them (and I have a passing acquaintance with the brand :) ) have you tried an early(ish) Warwick Streamer Stage I bass? They can do a very good P bass when that pup is soloed and they are 2 band EQ (bass & treble) which you can just leave flat or like me just whack 'em on full. :huh:

I also have to agree with the Doc that if it doesn't 'feel' right then walk away; the neck width/depth/position etc can't generally be altered (though you can shave them etc). If I try a bass acoustically and it does nothing I'd likewise give it a wide berth. I may be shallow but for me if a bass doesn't look 'sex' and make me want to pick it up then I'll pass thank you. After all action, tone etc can all be worked on.

If you are in the NE region you are more than welcome to try mine.

Edited by warwickhunt

For me its definately tone, I traded my precision for a stingray recently - the P had the nicest neck I've ever played, but the tone was a bit too passive (not in the active/passive sense) for my liking and situation. The rays tone sits really well in the mix, and while the neck isn't quite as nice, I've adapted to it now. The P just wasn't getting played because I wasn't happy with the sound.

This will obviously all change within a very short time of course when I start gassing for something else

Sounds like you need a Warwick Corvette standard passive. Every one I've picked up has been a great feeling & sounding bass. You can always add a preamp (either onboard or outboard) later if you're wanting more output.

As for my tastes, most of my basses have a preamp with 3-band eq. I don't twiddle at all. I have one setting. Treble & bass at full boost, mids flat & pickup pan in the centre detent. Easy. Just plug in and go :)

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='304440' date='Oct 11 2008, 04:07 PM']Sounds like you need a Warwick Corvette standard passive. Every one I've picked up has been a great feeling & sounding bass. You can always add a preamp (either onboard or outboard) later if you're wanting more output.

As for my tastes, most of my basses have a preamp with 3-band eq. I don't twiddle at all. I have one setting. Treble & bass at full boost, mids flat & pickup pan in the centre detent. Easy. Just plug in and go :)

Rich.[/quote]

I would say feel first , I loved my Marcus Miller 4 string neck , but couldn't get on with the pre amp , just had John East drop in one of his Retro plates for me the other day ,and it has totally transformed the bass for me tone wise.
Tried Johns 78 Fender Jazz while I was there ,and we both commented on the thinner neck of the Miller , in fact i would say it was a different profile betwween the 78 Jazz bass ,and my own 78 Precision.

I would say feel first too, but ultimately the bass won't last long if the sound isn't on par with the feel. After realising this after lots of bass buying I realised that it is worth finding one that does both and sticking with it!

Cool, thanks for everyone's input on this.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='304440' date='Oct 11 2008, 04:07 PM']Sounds like you need a Warwick Corvette standard passive...)

Rich.[/quote]

Yes, sadly it's a bit annoying that I don't like the Corvette shape.

Over the weekend I remembered that years back another bass I played with the ace fat neck was a Hohner 5 string headless wotsit. I presume the fatness was a design choice rather than headless necessity (Mr Status Owner?)?

[quote name='Ajoten' post='305200' date='Oct 13 2008, 08:34 AM']Over the weekend I remembered that years back another bass I played with the ace fat neck was a Hohner 5 string headless wotsit. I presume the fatness was a design choice rather than headless necessity (Mr Status Owner?)?[/quote]
I'm not so keen on the fat neck but I do have a Hohner 5-string headless, bought for pragmatic reasons. I don't think there's any structural need for the fat neck - after all, it's doing less work than the neck on my Tsai unheadless which has also got to handle the weight of the tuners and, er, the head, and the Tsai's neck is considerably shallower.

I'm a playability man too - that's the reason that I bought the Warwick Thumb NT (though obviously our playabilities vary, mine's the very shallow JD neck). I don't play with the tone controls and they're centre detented so you don't have to make a note of where they are, just turn them till they click and leave them there.