Why become a member? ×

How many BassChatters have never ever gigged?

thebrig

I used to gig regularly in my Brit Pop days through my early 20s, trying to "make it" but never did. Pretty much gave it all up in my late 20s / early 30s but then rediscovered the "fun" in playing again in my late 30s and although I now play mainly at home, to unwind after a day's teaching, I have played the occasional song at school concerts, etc.

I have recently thought about meeting up with the guys from my old band but that's probably just the irrational thoughts of a mid-life crisis.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1476226526' post='3152578']
Wow, reading this thread I realise I've probably only played live maybe 10 times in the last couple of years.

Hmm....used to be much more often, sobering thought.
[/quote]

Are your saying you weren't aware you've only gigged a couple a times a year?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1476227398' post='3152586']

I have recently thought about meeting up with the guys from my old band but that's probably just the irrational thoughts of a mid-life crisis.
[/quote]

Not necessarily, if you guys get back together make sure you do some Bad Finger material.

Blue

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1476030113' post='3150597']
I have children and a disabled partner, it's not easy to achieve gigging. I can manage OM nights sometimes.

I do find the tone of the question a little unthoughtful to be honest
[/quote]

I've read through this thread a couple of times now and I keep coming back to this reply.

Don't really see anything wrong with the topic subject or the way the original posr is/was phrased; I just don't get how the post was unthoughtful.

I wholly understand how difficult life can be to accommodate the whims if the gigging musician; our ex-guitarist has a daughter that requires 24 hour care, but I doubt he would have said the post was in any way unthoughtful.

Are we heading towards a situation here where we're unable to ask relatively straightforward questions on a forum for fear of upsetting anyone?

#confused

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1476210248' post='3152401']

If you did this for a living meaning ,you don't gig you don't eat. Your genres of choice are not available what would you do?

Oh under this scenario you can't get a traditional proper job, you must remain a musician who's lively hood depends on gigging.

Hint there's only to answers. I'll give you one of them.

Starvation

Blue
[/quote]

We have established previously that I don't do this for a living.

If I did, then yes I'd probably think differently, but I made the choice not to be so I can play music for myself, not for a band leader who I rely on to pay my bills.

I salute those who do it for a living, I know how hard it can be, but as hard as it is for you to understand it's not why I and a lot of others play music

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1476251426' post='3152634']

I've read through this thread a couple of times now and I keep coming back to this reply.

Don't really see anything wrong with the topic subject or the way the original posr is/was phrased; I just don't get how the post was unthoughtful.

I wholly understand how difficult life can be to accommodate the whims if the gigging musician; our ex-guitarist has a daughter that requires 24 hour care, but I doubt he would have said the post was in any way unthoughtful.

Are we heading towards a situation here where we're unable to ask relatively straightforward questions on a forum for fear of upsetting anyone?

#confused
[/quote]

No. I'm guessing geek was just having a tough day.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1476255226' post='3152659']
No. I'm guessing geek was just having a tough day.
[/quote]
I was having a very tough week, and I still am, however I also thank you for the understanding and empathy; I do appreciate it

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1476251426' post='3152634']

#confused
[/quote]
Are we heading towards a situation where its all fluffy bunnies and no one can raise a protest of any kind? Some disparaging comments about bedroom warriors do surface from time to time, and I don't like the condescension. Some of us have fewer choices.

I deleted my post, so now you don't need to keep coming back to it. #thereyougo

@TheBrig, I understand your position a little better now btw

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1476259509' post='3152690']
Are we heading towards a situation where its all fluffy bunnies and no one can raise a protest of any kind? Some disparaging comments about bedroom warriors do surface from time to time, and I don't like the condescension. Some of us have fewer choices.

[/quote]

I'm not up for a fight here, but the OP was asking something fairly simple of the community here, it wasn't alluding to anything and I doubt very much that the original poster knew anything about your individual circumstances. I don't see any fingerpointing going on.

Insofar as your fluffy bunny and protest quote goes, I mean, come on. If someone is going to reply on a thread with something that's both open-ended and ambiguous, which consequently leads to the OP feeling he needs to actually apologise unnecessarily, then I feel the need to ask why.

Some disparaging comments about bedroom warriors do surface from time to time, and I don't like the condescension.
[/quote]

Comments about anything and anybody gets that treatment on Basschat and indeed the internet in general.
'Jaco' and extended range Bass Guitars spring to mind. The bedroom Bassist, along with the weekend warriors and fully signed up pro groups, will ALL have members who like to sling some disparaging comments in the direction of those two subjects quite happily. :lol:

I did my first paid gig at fourteen and have gigged and worked musically ever since (now 59). Way of life for me. Not bothered about the audience side of it, I have sat in pits and back stage studios on headphones for months at a time, without ever seeing an audience. :)
I like the buzz of working with other musicians, love the interaction and especially musicians from other cultures who bring something different to the table.
Just 'noodling' at home on the Bass wouldn't do it for me. Although, I quite happily sit down at the Piano and play away on my own for long periods.

Edited by lowdown

I was having a very tough week, and I still am, however I also thank you for the understanding and empathy; I do appreciate it

@TheBrig, I understand your position a little better now btw
[/quote]Geek, I do understand your position and certainly didn't set out to upset anyone, it really was just one of those situations where I was reading through BC threads on Sunday afternoon, and I just happened to notice that quite a few people mentioned that they don't gig, or only gig occasionally, so I thought I would just put it out there to see what those people do instead of gigging, because I could be in a situation myself very soon when I wont be able to gig anymore, it really was just an innocent question.

I have to say that when I saw your comment, I was so upset about it that I can honestly say that I was thinking about terminating my membership to BC for fear of upsetting others.

Some disparaging comments about bedroom warriors do surface from time to time, and I don't like the condescension.
[/quote]
i've noticed this before

i have always found it strange that on a forum of bass players where we talk about bass, there seems to be groups that look down on those that aren't fully working musicians at times.... surely the point is that we ARE playing bass, regardless of if it is at wembley or aunt fanny's back room?

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1476271876' post='3152851']
i've noticed this before

i have always found it strange that on a forum of bass players where we talk about bass, there seems to be groups that look down on those that aren't fully working musicians at times.... surely the point is that we ARE playing bass, regardless of if it is at wembley or aunt fanny's back room?
[/quote]

yeah, some may imply that but... that's not what the OP or the vast majority here said :mellow:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1476226199' post='3152575']
No one should hold back and not committ 100% to playing their best on any song because you don't like the song.
[/quote]

In an ideal world, this is true. However, if a song is complete sh*t and involves absolutely not effort on your part, how would you tell between playing 100% your best or 20%, if the result is the same?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1476272365' post='3152860']
yeah, some may imply that but... that's not what the OP or the vast majority here said :mellow:
[/quote]Exactly! I was a bedroom warrior for [u]forty[/u] years before I started gigging, I've gigged for the last nine or ten years, from the age of 56, and it now looks like there is a very good chance that I might have to go back to being a bedroom warrior again due to health issues, so why would I look down on people for doing exactly what I've been doing myself for most of my life?

Like I've said more than once now, I am just interested to know what others do as an alternative to gigging because I could do with some ideas, at the moment, I'm seriously thinking of going into home recording, but I'm also looking for other possibilities as well.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1476275854' post='3152904']
Exactly! I was a bedroom warrior for [u]forty[/u] years before I started gigging, I've gigged for the last nine or ten years, from the age of 56, and it now looks like there is a very good chance that I might have to go back to being a bedroom warrior again due to health issues, so why would I look down on people for doing exactly what I've been doing myself for most of my life?

Like I've said more than once now, I am just interested to know what others do as an alternative to gigging because I could do with some ideas, at the moment, I'm seriously thinking of going into home recording, but I'm also looking for other possibilities as well.
[/quote]

I'm in pretty well exactly this same position, what with being old 'n all; there's very little gigging now to be done. It's hard enough getting up from my armchair, let alone load-in, load-out. Our music room has been commandeered by our eldest for now for joinery, but we'll get The Daub"z rehearsing again soon enough, and, with a bit of luck, may be able to manage a gig or two in the coming year, if all goes well. I'm lucky in having great support (physically and morally...) from my family and band mates, and there'll be a day (soon; too soon...) when I won't be able to play my drums at all. Meanwhile, I'll continue to be interested in all things musical, including (but not exclusively...) bass, and continue to compose my stuff using my modest PC and virtual instruments. There is a life (of sorts...) off stage and out of the limelight. I'm glad I did it and wouldn't change a thing, but the wheel turns, and so I turn with it. Regrets..? None at all. Did I hit the Big Time..? Nah, and it's not sour grapes to say that I never aimed that high (or low..?). There's much more to Life in general than gigging, for me, but I'll still do what little I can as long as I can, as it's a blast on a Good Night.

I think it's easy to jump to the conclusion here that a "bedroom noodler" is happy to be exactly that.

I would love to gig. I get bored and fed up playing stuff in musical scores. I dream of playing in a band. Bach's Cello stuff is NOT what I want to do. I never did.

On the other hand, what is more sad, playing Bach and developing reading skills, or playing old covers bass lines along with a band on an MP3 who will never notice if I stop as they already have a bass player on the track.

Whatever you reconsider is the answer to that question, I can't get the old Beatles track out of my head; "He's a real nowhere man, sitting in his nowhere land making all his nowhere plans for nobody".

No, I'm not happy with my lot. Geek also isn't happy with his lot too on the odd day, same as a few others here. But we have made our bed and we lie in it. As for me I'm craps at playing. I'm getting quite good at fixing basses up though and it makes a good distraction from the playing.

Sorry for the rant. I'm not really upset. I just feel this needs to be clear to some who may make assumptions.

Thank you all for being a great bunch of people.

Some disparaging comments about bedroom warriors do surface from time to time, and I don't like the condescension. Some of us have fewer choices.
[/quote]

That's ok. I know how, when you're having a rough time, everything seems to be a personal dig at you and every little thing becomes a mountain to climb. :)

On the subject of bedroom warriors, the only criticism levelled the them tends to be when they seem to have all the answers but no experience to back it up. There's nothing wrong with staying at home but when they start giving out advice on what gear to use, settings to use in a band context, what music to play, and the miriad of other advice frequently dished out with obviously no experience of it in real life to back it up, it gets a bit silly.

Warrior, to me, is a term used to imply you're fighting a cause. Bedroom warrior implies a certain type of individual.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1476278387' post='3152954']

On the subject of bedroom warriors, the only criticism levelled the them tends to be when they seem to have all the answers but no experience to back it up. There's nothing wrong with staying at home but when they start giving out advice on what gear to use, settings to use in a band context, what music to play, and the miriad of other advice frequently dished out with obviously no experience of it in real life to back it up, it gets a bit silly.

Warrior, to me, is a term used to imply you're fighting a cause. Bedroom warrior implies a certain type of individual.

[/quote]

Hey! I resemble that remark! :P
(I hope not)

I used to be a mighty gigging machine... I bestrode the world like a Colossus. Now even bedroom warrior-ing is beyond me. I haven't played for years, but I am thinking of waxing up my Warwick soon (so to speak).
I can't seriously gig again due to the oft-mentioned health reasons... I'll spare you the details... and I must say I don't miss it at all. Personally, I do find it difficult playing the bass when I'm not in a band, so I do spend my time playing the flute now... and I apologise for the huge amount of musical theory I've absorbed in so doing.

I hope I got through all of that without resorting to internet cliches or making any startling grammatical errors (although I do realise that I've omitted the accent on the e).

It's an interesting thread with its twists and turns.