Why become a member? ×

Tom Chaplin - Later

Bass Culture

I think the bit about emotional authenticity is subjective; by all accounts he's been through some pretty heavy personal stuff recently (albeit all of his own doing). Musically, though, yes I agree. There's nothing much to get excited about for me.

Funny isn't it, modern music isn't supposed to appeal to people of my age, but instead of the previous shock and horror of Rock & Roll, Glam, Punk, and even New Romantics, the current bunch seem to have rebelled by going in the opposite direction, whiney, twee nonsense (a.k.a. Coldplay).
Thank goodness for Grime, Kate Tempest and the Sleaford Mods!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1475916757' post='3149681']
Funny isn't it, modern music isn't supposed to appeal to people of my age, but instead of the previous shock and horror of Rock & Roll, Glam, Punk, and even New Romantics, the current bunch seem to have rebelled by going in the opposite direction, whiney, twee nonsense (a.k.a. Coldplay).
Thank goodness for Grime, Kate Tempest and the Sleaford Mods!
[/quote]

The majority of youngsters have got it too good, nothing to rebel against. It seems to me that all the good musical revolutions came from hardship, angst, poverty, political tension, boredom, lack of jobs and a general hate of everything going on around you.

Which makes me think if all the doom mongering press are correct then we should've had something exciting from the yoof by now.

Edited by Maude

There seems to be plenty to rebel against, but people seem to want to be spoon fed pre-packaged meals rather than going out and finding the ingredients. Everything appears to require a defined category before people seem to listen to something new.

"Social Media" has a lot to answer for IMO.

Bizarrely, I always thought that Keane were actually quite good (for public school-boys).

Edited by Skybone

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1475948515' post='3150030']

Bizarrely, I always thought that Keane were actually quite good (for public school-boys).
[/quote]
Ha! On a forum I used to frequent, Keane, Coldplay and all that ilk, were referred to as "bedwetter core". I'm glad you reminded me of that, such a brilliant description!

This bloke's old band were part of the first wave of the New Beige genre which includes brain numbing gash like Snow Patrol, Coldplay etc with current luminaries including Ed Sheeran and umpteen other dull, acoustic toting singer-songwriters. I don't remember mainstream / chart music being ever as tepid and vanilla as it has been over the last half dozen years.

Don't know if it's me, but I find that pretty much every featured artist on Later to be tepid.

And I don't think it's just been over the last half dozen years, it seems that most of the new music from the turn of the century has been mediocre and somewhat insipid.

No Skybone, you're not alone. I don't know how JH can get so excited about the endless roster of identikit, dull as ditchwater indie bands and earnest singer-songwriterly types. About 20 series ago Later was interesting when it was more about bands like Tinariwen. There hasn't been owt like that for yonks.

Later...'s persistent reluctance to give rock music any significant coverage annoys me. Rock has an immense audience. I think Metallica were on once, I stand to be corrected.

It's all about the record company pluggers...

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1476174103' post='3151886']
I don't know how JH can get so excited about the endless roster of identikit, dull as ditchwater indie bands and earnest singer-songwriterly types.
[/quote]

The facade of hyperbole slips occasionally. I recall one episode featuring a standard-lowering performance from Glasvegas, and Jools's compering was along the lines of "the wonderful X", "the amazing Y", and.... "Glasvegas". B)

I'm not a huge rock fan but I dunno why the Later producers seem to go out of their way to avoid having metal and hard rock bands on. In recent series Mastodon and Royal Blood managed to sneak in. Mind you they don't seem much to keen on electronica either. with one act every few series. As for Glasvegas, well they're gash anyway

I don't know how true it is, but a fellow bass player told me a while back that record companies buy 'packages' of PR - which might include a slot here, a performance there, and that was how bands got on to 'Later', simply by buying their way on.

As I say, I can't validate this, but it makes sense as to the amount of rubbish they put on! :(

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1476187880' post='3152065']
I don't know how true it is, but a fellow bass player told me a while back that record companies buy 'packages' of PR - which might include a slot here, a performance there, and that was how bands got on to 'Later', simply by buying their way on.

As I say, I can't validate this, but it makes sense as to the amount of rubbish they put on! :(
[/quote]

I'm sure there are various agents and record company reps who lobby & pitch to get their 'artists' a slot on Later.

I'd be very surprised if any money changes hands, I doubt the BBC would want to risk the scandal.

Edited by Cato

I get the impression that Jools/producers dictate what the artists can play, for instance, the two songs Blackberry Smoke played were to me, bland and nondescript, I'm not a great Blackberry Smoke fan, but they have much better, and "rockier" songs than the ones they played in their locker.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1476188194' post='3152069']

I'm sure there are various agents and record company reps who lobby & pitch to get their 'artists' a slot on Later.

I'd be very surprised if any money changes hands, I doubt the BBC would want to risk the scandal.
[/quote]

Yes absolutely, it's the pluggers job to get their acts on TV and radio. As you say money doesn't change hands but there are other 'favours' that ease the path...

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1476188194' post='3152069']

[/quote]

Yeah, it is what it is. Jools is playing to a certain market and rock and metal just isn't a big feature of that demographic right now. He does do much charitable service for world/jazz/funk etc. at least. He's found a formula that works and sticks to it:

new charting act
crusty pop legend on second career
big current pop act
jazz or soul legend
acoustic bedwetter
vaguely credible new indie act
token electronic/rap/other
tibetan throat singer or sim.