Why become a member? ×

Right bass wrong seller

OliverBlackman

I recently made an offer for a fretless Warwick on gumtree and the guy asked when I'd be able to collect it, and we agreed a day. Anyway he couldn't do it anymore and finally after 3 weeks of him coming up with excuses he's told me he's holding out for a better offer. Is this common? It's the first time I've had it and it's so frustrating!

Move on. It happens both ways, believe me :(
Always more basses available than money.

Sadly, these seem to be on the increase
[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/12963729_10154106373403739_8710113931599133357_n_zpselxhm3f4.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1473495071' post='3130638']
I recently made an offer for a fretless Warwick on gumtree and the guy asked when I'd be able to collect it, and we agreed a day. Anyway he couldn't do it anymore and finally after 3 weeks of him coming up with excuses he's told me he's holding out for a better offer. Is this common? It's the first time I've had it and it's so frustrating!
[/quote]

Okay, you agreed a day but you haven't mentioned whether you agreed on a price. What you say suggests otherwise.

I'd say here is the money, cash, take it or leave it by a certain period. I'd also leave the window open so the guy could come back later... but then he also runs the risk that I might not offer that money forever and I too, might readjust the price.

I would prefer him to have said, no thanks, not enough money, rather jerk you around like that.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1473498552' post='3130686']

Sort of implied don't you think? The "agreed a day to collect it" ..? :-)
[/quote]

Yep this was how I took it. If he wasn't happy with the offer why would he arrange the collection?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1473498613' post='3130689']
I'd say here is the money, cash, take it or leave it by a certain period. I'd also leave the window open so the guy could come back later... but then he also runs the risk that I might not offer that money forever and I too, might readjust the price.

I would prefer him to have said, no thanks, not enough money, rather jerk you around like that.
[/quote]

Exactly, he didn't seem to grasp I was leaving my weekends open for what would have been a 6 hour round trip, only to be let down repeatedly at the last minute

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1473499748' post='3130706']
Yep this was how I took it.
[/quote]

I'm not trying to be funny. I get the "implied" thing but a deal has to have the agreement of both parties not just one. In person, a handshake is the time honoured method to seal the deal. Verbally by 'phone, I'd have made certain it was understood that a deal had been reached before I'd arrange travel. At least that way you have unquestionable justification for complaint. Did that not occur?

Gumtree and local Facebook groups are full of timewasters in every category, I've been let down several times from no-shows which is frustrating when you've set time aside for them.

Nothing you can do, just move on. If you're feeling mischievous offer the seller full price then don't turn up to collect several times :D

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1473495071' post='3130638']
[/quote]

was he scottish and used to work in a music shop?

It's not just sellers, buyers can be a pain too. I once sold an Akai controller keyboard, with standard delivery (ie. Parcel Force) and collect in person options. On completion, the buyer ticked the collect in person option (and so avoiding delivery charges) and then expected me to deliver it to them in person.

Last week I had someone agree to buy my bass from a Gumtree advert - price agreed and day agreed and then a email informing on the day of sale to say he was not going to buy. In my world if you get this far into a sale then it's a given you honour this but perhaps I am just old school ;-)

I have loads of really good experiences from Gumtree buying/selling and will continue to use (for now).

[quote name='paddy109' timestamp='1473665924' post='3131991']
...price agreed and day agreed and then a email informing on the day of sale to say he was not going to buy. In my world if you get this far into a sale then it's a given you honour this but perhaps I am just old school ;-)
[/quote]

Not old school. Merely an honourable man. Honour is worth even more these days as selfishness is now "a lifestyle choice", innit.

[quote name='paddy109' timestamp='1473665924' post='3131991']
Last week I had someone agree to buy my bass from a Gumtree advert - price agreed and day agreed and then a email informing on the day of sale to say he was not going to buy. In my world if you get this far into a sale then it's a given you honour this but perhaps I am just old school ;-)

I have loads of really good experiences from Gumtree buying/selling and will continue to use (for now).
[/quote]

luxury! he emailed you on the day!!!
A few times I just waited at home for someone never to arrive, or reply to any texts... sigh.

It happens. Too many idiots, so little time... just move on.