Why become a member? ×

Tuning peg OCD

arthurhenry

On occasion, when new strings have been installed, the tuning pegs happen to line up in an aesthetically pleasing way. Imagine if you had severe OCD and had to have them this way. Strings would have to be removed, the peg moved slightly and then re-strung, in the hope that the desired result would be achieved - it could take hours! It would all have to be done again each time the bass was tuned.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1473061983' post='3126400']
We need a tuning peg with adjustable ears. Tune up, then adjust ears to a pleasing pattern.
[/quote]

Maybe a tuner with a removable 'paddle' that fits into a splined socket? Tune up, pull out the paddle and re-locate as necessary. Yes, I realise that thinking about such things implies too much time on one's hands. :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1473062262' post='3126401']
Maybe a tuner with a removable 'paddle' that fits into a splined socket? Tune up, pull out the paddle and re-locate as necessary. Yes, I realise that thinking about such things implies too much time on one's hands. :D
[/quote]

I was thinking of a paddle with a central sleeve that slides over the tuning peg shaft and is secured with a grub screw. Once tuned, loosen grub screw, rotate paddle, tigthen grubscrew, relieve OCD.

:D

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1473062419' post='3126402']
I was thinking of a paddle with a central sleeve that slides over the tuning peg shaft and is secured with a grub screw.
[/quote]

Ooh, those grub screws are going to go AWOL. Mind you, my idea probably means the entire paddle will go AWOL... :blink:

I was thinking of a paddle with a central sleeve that slides over the tuning peg shaft and is secured with a grub screw. Once tuned, loosen grub screw, rotate paddle, tigthen grubscrew, relieve OCD.

[/quote]

This one gets my vote. A splined shaft will, inevitably, end up with the spline just slightly "off" when tuned so you have the awful choice of being aesthetically pleasing or ever so slightly out of tune.

So, a plain shaft with a grub screw allows infinite adjustment once tuned.

Somebody make this, please.....

Here's a suggestion that will eliminate the apparent dread of out of line tuners and reduce neck dive in one hit...how about tuners with just a square socket, and one key used to slip on and tune each string in turn, then returned to the pocket, or wherever you'd keep such things.

+1

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1473064326' post='3126424']
Here's a suggestion that will eliminate the apparent dread of out of line tuners and reduce neck dive in one hit...how about tuners with just a square socket, and one key used to slip on and tune each string in turn, then returned to the pocket, or wherever you'd keep such things.
[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

It's impossible to reconcile all factors. Who's to say that the grub screw slots (or hex, if Allen keys...) will align 'properly'..? Headless basses have tuning knobs, too; supposing that the knurling wasn't settled to a satisfactory pattern, once tuned..? I'd suggest a more medical solution would be more appropriate, if the syndrome is [i]that [/i]troublesome, or taking up the tuba (a nicely asymmetrical instrument...)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1473064326' post='3126424']
[/quote]

Ooh I like that one. Super streamlined headstock with tuners operated by a radiator key :D

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1473074354' post='3126540']
Ooh I like that one. Super streamlined headstock with tuners operated by a radiator key :D
[/quote]

I had a radiator key in mind when I posted, but I expect most people would opt for something bigger and shinier!

Pianos seem to manage with a removable tuning key, so why not basses?

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1473062939' post='3126409']
I'd rather watch paint dry than spend even one fraction of a second worrying about the visual appearance of my machine heads!
[/quote]

I've heard people criticise the clip on tuners for making their bass ugly, spoiling the aesthetic of their headstocks.

Maybe try the Ibanez knurled knobs that they use on their Gary Willis models ?

[/quote]

This.

I originally had planned to cut off the paddles and with a Dremel .. Fashion some cross into the stumps and then have a screwdriver handy to tune each corresponding string

A head with no elephant ear paddle things on it. How clever.

What a load of rubbish. A classic vintage P or J with no 'elephant's ears' or 'lollipops'..? Nay, nay and thrice nay! And you only have to misplace the 'radiator key' just once to be right in excrement bay without a means of propulsion. Look at the way drummers carry on with their drum keys - i.e. they're [i]always [/i]losing them.

I decree it's not an issue and this thread is spurious! End communication! Hup! *Flies off over the horizon, cape billowing*

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1473061477' post='3126395']
Can we assume that you suffer from this problem..? :biggrin:

I don't of course - but a friend of mine says it's easy to achieve a good tuner line-up, with practice... :unsure:
[/quote]
I don't suffer this, in fact It annoys me when they do line up! My general OCD tendencies caused me to notice it as a potential source of anxiety.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1473081725' post='3126671']
What a load of rubbish. A classic vintage P or J with no 'elephant's ears' or 'lollipops'..? Nay, nay and thrice nay! And you only have to misplace the 'radiator key' just once to be right in excrement bay without a means of propulsion. Look at the way drummers carry on with their drum keys - i.e. they're [i]always [/i]losing them.
[/quote]

Yeah, but they're [i]drummers.[/i] Drummers can lose anything, and probably will. Bass players are superior beings who always know exactly where everything is, including their towels.