Why become a member? ×

Gigging without a spare bass

Nicko

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1471520479' post='3113609']
If I'm interpreting the initial post correctly you're worried that if you had to switch to the Peavey you wouldn't actually be able to play it properly and what's the point of taking a back up bass anyway if you have no confidence in playing it?

I always take a spare and have never needed it, but it comforts me to know that it is there. If you like the security of having a back up then I'd ditch the Peavey and get another P bass.
[/quote]

Thi was exactly the point I was making. The Peavey is a good bass but not suitable as a backup to the PB. Do I ditch it and buy a VM Precision? There does't seem to be much consensus here, but I have the space in the car. The only question is do I have money in the bank, or can I trade the Peavey in.

Edited by Nicko

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1471548212' post='3113932']
I think you mean;

"It literally takes me 3 minutes to replace it"

Blue
[/quote]

Indeed! Takes me quite a bit longer. It would take me longet than 3 mins to find the spare string! Compare and contrast- to unplug the non-functioning bass, take it off, put it down, put on the spare sat on the stage next to me, plug it in - takes around 1 minute.

But then I am the sort of chap who has the 'platinum' household insurance policy, I get to airports 3 hrs before my flight is due to take off, I always allow extra driving time whenever I go anywhere etc etc. :)

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1471541275' post='3113867']
If you snap a string it literally takes 3 minute to replace it.
[/quote]

3 minutes of no music is enough for some people (me included) to get bored and go somewhere else. Make sure someone else in the band can do a funny story, or a bassless song.
:)

Back in my full-time playing days, (1982-98, approx) I always just had one bass - mainly 'cos I couldn't afford another one.
I did carry tools, strings, cables etc ... but I honestly can't remember a single time the band had to stop playing on my account ...(drummers, guitarists, Keys...that's another story!)

That said, we did in fact have some tunes worked out to cover any one of us dropping out.

In these enlightened times (ie since the advent of th'Internet and forums full of scary stories) I reckon I would much rather bring along a spare - and preferably a guitar tech to get the main bass back up and running with minimum delay !

Gigged for years with only 1 bass even though I owned more. Currently taking 2 but that's because one is in D-G-C-F tuning and I cba to relearn the rest of the 'normal' tuning set to that bass. So guess depending on where the bass failed in the set I could recover to some extent, maybe with a bit of running order jiggling. Don't take backup amp even though mine is probably 20 yrs old and I've never had it serviced. In the event of failure I have a DI box and our PA is good enough that I could send the bass through the bass bins in an emergency. The drummer doesn't bring any dupes for any of his kit iirc, not sure if he even carries a spare kick drum pedal. He might but never seen him have to swap yet.

anybody got a plan if the PA fails? ours did once I put the singers mic through my bass amp and used the effects in for my bass via a Zoom pedal, it worked, no backing vocals (might not be a bad thing lol) of course we don't mic any instruments up

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1471598800' post='3114295']
anybody got a plan if the PA fails? ours did once I put the singers mic through my bass amp and used the effects in for my bass via a Zoom pedal, it worked, no backing vocals (might not be a bad thing lol) of course we don't mic any instruments up
[/quote]

That's it isn't it ?

Technology is far more likely to fail than something as relatively simple as a bass guitar.

I always take 2 basses, and I've never played anywhere there wasn't room for the spare - and I've played some khazis. I have spares of all the small stuff, but not a spare amp - I take a cheapo DI box for that eventuality. I use more than one cab. Yep, I've snapped strings before - not often, and not for years, but it's happened.

All very belt-and-braces, but it also depends on the situation: if you're playing down the Dog and Duck, then you can restring a bass while the singist (or, gawd help us, the guitard) waffles on a bit, but thought of suspending the brides First Dance* for that long because your bass has gone ping is an arse-clencher and then some.

* I know, I know, what are the odds? But Sod's Law makes it all the more likely...

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1471599452' post='3114304']
That's it isn't it ?

Technology is far more likely to fail than something as relatively simple as a bass guitar.
[/quote]

Yeah, but it won't be MY fault at that point... <_< :D

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1471598800' post='3114295']
[/quote]

We use powered pa speakers so we would need four amp failures before we had no sound at all working on the basis we could just swap a monitor for a top if need be, that leaves the desk as the weak link,I take the old Mackie desk to the more professional gigs along with the new digital one, both together they take up less space than a typical euro mixer, worst case scenario we could put a Mic into each powered top without a mixer at all but it would have no eq/reverb etc.

I never bring a backup bass or amp. Life's too short to worry about these things and I've got enough gear (PA, desk, monitors) to lug as it is!!!

I have never had a bass fail on me, though I carry spare batteries, tools and strings in case.

If I ever find myself in a disaster scenario, I will hold down the bottom end by singing a scat with my rich, baritone voice.

Sometimes I take a spare bass, sometimes not.

Tonight, for example, has a PITA load-in that takes ages up and down stairs and lifts. So - one bass tonight. What I'll do is make sure I have my spare strings handy so that if I do break a string I can get it changed quickly while the rest of the band do a bit of between-song banter then go into something like When September Ends - by the time my part is due I'll easily be ready.

Last time I broke a string was on the opening low E note of "Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden. Always entertaining playing a whole song on 3 strings whilst furtively searching for the string saddle (good ol' Thunderbird bridges, eh?) wherever it's ended up on the floor, then trying to prevent it being booted around or stood on by the singer, etc, until you get half a bar where you can retrieve it ... :)

We played at an event on Saturday where we were providing PA for us and another band. My speakers, guitarist's mixer, so I thought I'd take my little mixer along as well just in case he wanted to get off early and take his mixer. Set up, sound checked, and 15 minutes before we were due to go on, his mixer started making regular thumps, one or two a second. The fault wasn't external, so we took his mixer out and put mine in instead (copying all EQ settings from one to the other). Everything went OK, so crisis avoided. Not sure whether to start bringing my mixer along to all gigs now...

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1471551088' post='3113975']
I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it either.
[/quote]

The only famous bassist I've seen break a string was Tony Levin on one of the Peter Gabriel tours. His E string broke, he stomped on his octaver & carried on playing the bass line an octave higher, all without missing a beat. That impressed me. :)

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1471611171' post='3114444']

The only famous bassist I've seen break a string was Tony Levin on one of the Peter Gabriel tours. His E string broke, he stomped on his octaver & carried on playing the bass line an octave higher, all without missing a beat. That impressed me. :)
[/quote]

He's amazing isn't he ?

Now that's professionalism to me, being able to cope like that, having a rack of spare gear doesn't come into it, just my opinion of course.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1471611944' post='3114451']
He's amazing isn't he ?

Now that's professionalism to me, being able to cope like that, having a rack of spare gear doesn't come into it, just my opinion of course.
[/quote]

For me he's the consummate professional, I don't think there's anyone better. Whether he's on an arena tour with Gabriel or playing a little club with one of his many side projects he's just superb. A very humble & lovely guy to speak to too.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1471611171' post='3114444']
[/quote]

Now thats cool! Good musicians probably can do this (or should be able to do this) with ease. The reasons why we don't see it that often is because basses almost never stop working, and bass strings rarely break! Hence I take one bass to gigs! :D

Edited by lefrash

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1471518717' post='3113582']
I've never used a backup.

I have had a failure that I got round and since then take a backup but 1 failure in 30years?

[b]How high profile are the gigs?[/b]
[/quote]

That's it, for me.

I take one bass, usually. Plus extra strings, cables, batteries... I judge the risk to be pretty low, and if I have to stop playing entirely it won't be the end of the world. However, for 'important' gigs I would take another bass.

What you consider 'important' may vary... in my case, in an originals band, we generally don't play functions but we sometimes get asked to play at a wedding. In a situation like that I'd carry backup bass/amp, but for most gigs I won't bother. If it's a gig where we're trying to impress someone, whether it's to open up new venues for us or whatever, then I'd typically carry backup too. But that's about it.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1471519286' post='3113589']
I broke a string at a rehearsal once and, ever since, have taken a back up to a gig - tuned and ready to go. Usually my Hohner B2B - takes up very little space on stage or in the car.
[/quote]

I broke my G string once.

It took me about 2 minutes to get it replaced and tuned. Meanwhile, the band launched into an impromptu funky jam with the singer improvising lyrics mocking me about breaking my G string :lol:

It was probably the highlight of the gig for most of the audience!

As long as you don't all just stand there looking at your feet doing nothing, a string change is not a problem, I don't think.

In general I never take a spare bass to a gig - i just make sure that the one i'm taking is working and maintained properly.

I've broken strings live before now on rare occasions, but i've just managed to restring it quickly with an old, pre-stretched string with minimum delay to the gig (i.e. make sure the next tune has a long guitar/piano intro, or the singer can do some banter!)

Can't be arsed carrying extra gear unless absolutely necessary. Recently gigged in Poland but only had room to take one bass, so made sure it was a good one!

I don't have the luxury of having duplicates for each piece of kit. I own one bass, and one combo.

I think you have to look at your gear and think seriously what's going to go wrong ?

With my bass, maybe the battery could die, even though I'm pretty good at changing them regularly and use quality ones. So I carry a spare just in case. Strings can break, but I've never broken one in 20 years. I have 6 anyway and I'm more than competent at playing not to miss one if I did ever break one.

The cable is maybe another weak point, possibly actually the biggest one. So I carry a spare cable.

I figure if my amp goes then I'll just plug into the pa along with the keyboard.

I've also started carrying a spare battery for my music stand light recently, (yeah I have a music stand on stage 😊).

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1471592667' post='3114182']
Indeed! Takes me quite a bit longer. It would take me longet than 3 mins to find the spare string! Compare and contrast- to unplug the non-functioning bass, take it off, put it down, put on the spare sat on the stage next to me, plug it in - takes around 1 minute.
[/quote]

That's because you have placed your backup bass near and ready... if you did the same with your spare strings... ;)

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1471615682' post='3114500']
In general I never take a spare bass to a gig - i just make sure that the one i'm taking is working and maintained properly.

I've broken strings live before now on rare occasions, but i've just managed to restring it quickly with an old, pre-stretched string with minimum delay to the gig (i.e. make sure the next tune has a long guitar/piano intro, or the singer can do some banter!)

Can't be arsed carrying extra gear unless absolutely necessary. Recently gigged in Poland but only had room to take one bass, so made sure it was a good one!
[/quote]

That's it for me. Just make sure everything is well looked after.

I don't think there's anything I couldn't play anyway with a broken string. I recently did a last minute dep gig on a borrowed 4 string, so for me that's like 2 broken strings 😄.