Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

Just ordered a Cioks DC5 and was going to get a Aclam S1 top routing board but if I mount the supply underneath I’ll have to run the cables around the edge of the board as they won’t poke through, will they? I like the idea of not using Velcro so any other recommendations? I think Aclam do one with ‘gaps’ (free routing) but not in the small and single row size. 

thumbnail_IMG_1574.jpg.1a19d5e2ee6e66ad5ebd44d4bd55e33b.jpg

Here's mine. This is the pedalboard of someone who doesn't really care much for effects. Funnily enough, the two I like most (the delay and phaser) get the least use in my band's sets. The others all get used to get the right tones for songs, and the Cali is always on. 

• Like 4

On 19/01/2023 at 19:53, Naigewron said:

My bass/synth board. Complete rundown posted here:

312675950_Resizeedit(1).thumb.jpg.98d250fb20a344672294f985d67d74e5.jpg

Man, I'm clueless with this kind of thing. It's a very flexible system as far as you have described. 

But one question, I played in some very large churches in South, where IEMs were essential, and I just sent a DI to the FoH. I'm guessing the sound desk had IR capability? I don't know, and didn't even know about IR until very recently. 

Either way, great board.... I'm still intrigued by the HX. I've all but abandoned effects, I've only got an octave besides my compressor and preamp...., but I do miss chorus and the ability to "play" and experiment. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, glassmoon said:

I'm guessing the sound desk had IR capability?

Probably not. Most bassists that go direct to FoH will not use cab simulation, but once you start adding distortion a lot of players prefer to have a cabinet somewhere in the chain. It's highly doubtful that the sound engineer would have added it for you, although he may have added some EQ and/or HPF/LPF to achieve some of that same filtering

Distortion without cabinet simulation (or a real cab, of course) sounds really harsh, and to most ears pretty unpleasant, which is why cab simulation is becoming more and more common on direct signals now.

Edited by Naigewron
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Naigewron said:

Probably not. Most bassists that go direct to FoH will not use cab simulation, but once you start adding distortion a lot of players prefer to have a cabinet somewhere in the chain. It's highly doubtful that the sound engineer would have added it for you, although he may have added some EQ and/or HPF/LPF to achieve some of that same filtering

Distortion without cabinet simulation (or a real cab, of course) sounds really harsh, and to most ears pretty unpleasant, which is why cab simulation is becoming more and more common on direct signals now.

Ah, now I understand. Yeah, I have no idea. Lots of Macbooks and shiny lights and all manner of software plugins, but at the time, I paid very little attention to anything other than, "does my bass sound good today?" 

I guess I should look at some sort of IR gear then hahahaha

Thanks for the great response @Naigewron

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Ah, now I understand. Yeah, I have no idea. Lots of Macbooks and shiny lights and all manner of software plugins, but at the time, I paid very little attention to anything other than, "does my bass sound good today?" 

I guess I should look at some sort of IR gear then hahahaha

Thanks for the great response @Naigewron

I had a helix. It's great.
In using it a EQ block with a HPF and LPF was more immediate alive sounding than the Cab Sims or IRs - esp for sending to the desk where it's going to be further eqed to fit in the mix

HPF to sculpt the bottom and make sure the bottom end is more like a bass cab. (Also stop subs playing badly with compression on the desk)
LPF to take the top off to help clear it out the way of everything else and make distortion sound nice. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Belka said:

Funnily enough, the two I like most (the delay and phaser) get the least use in my band's sets.

I'm the same as you. I love the phaser but haven't been able to find an appropriate place to use it in the setlists I'm playing. However, I've been experimenting with a very subtle 'always on' phase sound recently - the intention is to use it on songs where I would default to chorus. Sounds good (to me) in isolation but I have yet to unleash it on the band sound. I watched a YT video a while back where delay was used to thicken the sound during the guitar solo in a three piece - I dep in a three piece occasionally so that's something else I'll be working on.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

I'm the same as you. I love the phaser but haven't been able to find an appropriate place to use it in the setlists I'm playing. However, I've been experimenting with a very subtle 'always on' phase sound recently - the intention is to use it on songs where I would default to chorus. Sounds good (to me) in isolation but I have yet to unleash it on the band sound. I watched a YT video a while back where delay was used to thicken the sound during the guitar solo in a three piece - I dep in a three piece occasionally so that's something else I'll be working on.

Shoehorn “Dancing In the Moonlight” by Thin Lizzy into the set😀

• Like 2

4 hours ago, krispn said:

Shoehorn “Dancing In the Moonlight” by Thin Lizzy into the set😀

I've got that sound set up as a patch on my MS60b because one band does it. 😃 Maybe I should just 'forget' to switch it off afterwards? 😂

The sound I'm tinkering with is more subtle.

22 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I had a helix. It's great.
In using it a EQ block with a HPF and LPF was more immediate alive sounding than the Cab Sims or IRs - 

100%. Every time I've tried a cabsim I really liked, I found that HPF + LPF when suitably tweaked sounded better!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugsonic said:

Out of interest, what do you set the HPF LPF to? Do you set this on the master EQ? 

I did it as a eq block - you can add extra tone shaping if you want... and means that if you put something like chorus or compression after you can have some high end

• Like 1

I was just using the EQ in Logic to mimic the Thumpinator with a HPF at 30ish hz and -24db/octave although just got the real thing so that won't be necessary anymore. For the LPF i was copying the Jad Freer Capo starting at around 2.5-3khz and a very gentle roll off at about -6db/octave. 

It seems way better in the mix than using any of my IRs and way easier.

I tried the same with guitar but much preferred the IRs though on the flip side. 

• Like 3

Dropped the expressionator as it wasn’t really doing much and I preferred having a touch more space between the Xero, expression pedal and Ricochet (for ease of tap dancing!).

This is the happiest I’ve ever been with a pedal set up (okay, when I had all the Moogerfoogers on the board was pretty sweet). Right now, I don’t think I’d swap out anything - that’s not something I’ve often said!

D413E3DE-2E11-4079-B4C5-77A05EC4B8AD.jpeg

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, pantherairsoft said:

Dropped the expressionator as it wasn’t really doing much and I preferred having a touch more space between the Xero, expression pedal and Ricochet (for ease of tap dancing!).

This is the happiest I’ve ever been with a pedal set up (okay, when I had all the Moogerfoogers on the board was pretty sweet). Right now, I don’t think I’d swap out anything - that’s not something I’ve often said!

D413E3DE-2E11-4079-B4C5-77A05EC4B8AD.jpeg

Great board! But TWO colliders?! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Great board! But TWO colliders?! 

I was running 1 Collider and 1 Nemesis, but I found all the delay modes I used were on the collider so the Nemesis was overkill for me. However, I was finding the need to stack more delays though for huge ambient soundscapes and wanted to get a third delay on the board. As soon as they revealed that you can 'unlock' the Collider to run 2 delay or 2 reverb on a patch, I was sold. So now, I can run 4 delay or 4 reverb at once (or any combination), plus the glitched delay from the CSIDMAN at the end. It's everything I could ever need.

Edited by pantherairsoft
  • Like 3

I've been rebuilding my board over the past few weeks, and I'm super stoked with the result. Getting some sweet synth and ambient tones from it. As you can see, there are a lot of loops (the PurPLL is in the loop of the T-70 which is in one of the ML5 loops which is in the C4 loop 😵), but due to the fantastic Morningstar MC8 midi controller, I can access all pedals super easily. 

Signal chain: 

Empress Bass Compressor 

Source Audio C4 (underneath board) 

in the loop of the C4: 

>>>Morningstar ML5 (underneath board)

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 1: Iron Ether FMeron

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 2: Broughton Audio Synth Voice Deluxe

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 3: Cog Effects T-70 (with Montreal Assembly PurPLL in its loop)

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 4: Hiero Effects B.E.A.D.

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 5: TWA Great Divide 2.0

>>>Swindler Effects The Gulf

back into the C4

One Control Midi Solo Loop (underneath board)

>>>Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe

back into the One Control Midi Solo Loop

Line6 HX Stomp

in the stereo loop of the Stomp:

>>>Poly Effects Beebo (I/O 1&2)

>>>Hologram Electronics Microcosm

>>>Red Panda Context v2

>>>Red Panda Bitmap v2

>>>Poly Effects Beebo (I/O 3&4)

back into the HX Stomp

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-26 at 18.12.12 (1)_c.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-26 at 18.12.12_c.jpeg

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Lunoxx said:

I've been rebuilding my board over the past few weeks, and I'm super stoked with the result. Getting some sweet synth and ambient tones from it. As you can see, there are a lot of loops (the PurPLL is in the loop of the T-70 which is in one of the ML5 loops which is in the C4 loop 😵), but due to the fantastic Morningstar MC8 midi controller, I can access all pedals super easily. 

Signal chain: 

Empress Bass Compressor 

in the loop of the C4: 

back into the C4

Line6 HX Stomp

>>>Red Panda Context v2

>>>Red Panda Bitmap v2

back into the HX Stomp

That’s an OCD dream right there!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Lunoxx said:

Signal chain: 

Empress Bass Compressor 

in the loop of the C4: 

back into the C4

Line6 HX Stomp

>>>Red Panda Context v2

>>>Red Panda Bitmap v2

back into the HX Stomp

Wow!

That assembly is very impressive!!

How do i not see a single wire?

I dont think i could use that board with my size 14s

Edited by lidl e
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Wow!

That assembly is very impressive!!

How do i not see a single wire?

I dont think i could use that board with my size 14s

Haha there are definitely plenty of cables. I still need to tidy up a bit underneath the board but will post a pic of the underside later this week.

• Like 1