Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

Guest FretNoMore

Yeah, well, many overdrive pedals sound alike to me especially live, though these three have different characters. I may have to remove one of them though, haven't quite decided which, to make room for a tremolo pedal I want to fool around with ...

[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1381310516' post='2237218']
that compressor is very nice for the money! I used to love mine, dull highs were a bit upsetting but apart from that - great tool :)
[/quote]

Yeah, I picked it up when GAK had them on offer a while back, if I had to strip my board down to just one pedal that comp would be the one that I kept as I never switch the thing off. It is true what you say about the highs though, it's no big deal for me as I tend to be rolling off the highs everywhere anyway but I can imagine it would be a drawback for some people.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FretNoMore

Major rebuild of my pedalboard this weekend ... made a new insert for my cheapo case, similar to the
old one but now with a hinged upper level so it's easier to get at the cabling, and with a bit more height
so I can fit a few things underneath.

I'm trying to stay with this size, the footprint is the same as a Pedaltrain Jr.

Also, there are a couple of upgrades; newcomers are a Cusack Music Screamer Bass overdrive,
a Dawner Prince Effects Starla tremolo and an Empress Phaser.

MDF, some wood, hinges, a bit of spray paint and strips of Velcro ...

Not so tidy once all the cables are hooked up ...

Looks nice from the outside at least ...

The effects chain ... I admit it's gotten a bit crazy. :)

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1382341871' post='2250702']
Yeah ... Wow. Quite apart from the board that's a collection of very nice pedals.

I'd like to know what you think of the Cusack Music Screamer Bass OD.
[/quote]

It's my current favourite ... a low gain drive (though it can get quite dirty) that has a kind of lower voicing, it's a growlier overdrive (in the center position of three voicings) that doesn't get fizzy or harsh like a lot of the current more metal oriented dirt pedals. It replaced a Catalinbread SFT which is in the same genre as the Cusack pedal, though the Screamer Bass is clearer and less compressed than the SFT. So, great for more old school type low gain overdrive, I use it at a very low setting where it just makes the bass sound "less nice" without sounding outright distorted. A minor negative is the chicken head knobs, they are cool and makes it easy to see the settings but they protrude outside of the enclosure which looks a bit amateurish to me.

Here's a nice demo on YouTube done by PrymaxeVintage: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv67iwFYKKc[/media]

Edited by FretNoMore

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1382295293' post='2250316']
Major rebuild of my pedalboard this weekend ... made a new insert for my cheapo case, similar to the
old one but now with a hinged upper level so it's easier to get at the cabling, and with a bit more height
so I can fit a few things underneath.

I'm trying to stay with this size, the footprint is the same as a Pedaltrain Jr.

Also, there are a couple of upgrades; newcomers are a Cusack Music Screamer Bass overdrive,
a Dawner Prince Effects Starla tremolo and an Empress Phaser.

MDF, some wood, hinges, a bit of spray paint and strips of Velcro ...

Not so tidy once all the cables are hooked up ...

Looks nice from the outside at least ...

The effects chain ... I admit it's gotten a bit crazy. :)

[/quote]

Funnily enough I just started a build of an almost identical pedal board yesterday. I wasnt planning on the hinges but this really has inspired me to rethink. They make complete sense!

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1382343727' post='2250732']

A minor negative is the chicken head knobs, they are cool and makes it easy to see the settings but they protrude outside of the enclosure which looks a bit amateurish to me.

[/quote]

I've always felt that Chickenheads only really come into their own on single knob, or possibly 2 knob pedals. As you said, annoying hanging over the edge, can get knocked easier. Swap them out for some Davis 1510 knobs

Si

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1382346161' post='2250773']
Funnily enough I just started a build of an almost identical pedal board yesterday. I wasnt planning on the hinges but this really has inspired me to rethink. They make complete sense!
[/quote]

I had a moment of feeling lazy and considered skipping the hinges, but I'm glad I did use them - totally worth the effort.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1382348776' post='2250839']
Reminds me of Shep's old two tier ginormo thing, could have done with hinges on that thing to get to the under side stuff.
Very tidy that one mate.
[/quote]

I think what made it easier with Sheps was that it was so big, so there was plenty of room to get hands under, which there isn't with something so small.

Some gorgeous boards on here, can't wait till i find a job and can get mine built up the way i want it to, whatever that may be when i get around to it.

Liam

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1382374414' post='2251412']
I had a moment of feeling lazy and considered skipping the hinges, but I'm glad I did use them - totally worth the effort.
[/quote]

Well beat this for laziness! I jumped into Band Q after work to pick some hinges up. Got home and realised they wouldnt fit. So I just did without them! I can almost gaurantee I will regret this on its first outing!

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1382380800' post='2251539']
I think what made it easier with Sheps was that it was so big, so there was plenty of room to get hands under, which there isn't with something so small.
[/quote]

This. I'd still of had hinges in hindsight though TBH. That board has been in my garage (without the pedals on it obviously) since OHM disbanded in Feb. If anyone wants a bloody stupid size board and can collect then I'll do a deal!!
[IMG]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h44/pantherairsoft/Amp%20Cab%20Pedals/IMG_0560.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='five-string.co.uk' timestamp='1212316765' post='210445']
Hi,

Having not tried either the OC2 or the EBS for any lenght of time I really can't compare for you.

However, it works well for what I want it for.

It definately prefers to be first in the chain. It tracks well down to about an open A string. I tend to use it much higher up though anyway, and up past G it sounds nice and tracks really well indeed.

Greg
[/quote]
I'd have to say the the EBS is cleaner. Just my personal feeling though. I've also found the 2-octave down is kinda pointless - but again, that's just my thing.
For what it's worth, I'm using the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe - and loving it!