Why become a member? ×

So i'm going on tour...

JakeBrownBass

Ah I think one of the guys in A Silent Film works in Gerrards Cross with the guitarist in my band (First Signs Of Frost).

Ummm, four dates isn't a lot, you shouldn't need a loada gear. Spare strings.....ummmm....clean pants!?

Si

Spare bass, several changes of strings.
Stage Clothes.
Socks & Underwear, plenty of;
Earplugs: not just for the gigs.
Books.
Nurofen, Imodium, Durex, Germoline.
Protein bars, muesli bars, nuts (meal replacements).
Flip-flops or similar - if you'll be using showers in odd places e.g. Yoof Hostels.
..?

Save packing space by stuffing socks and undies into your shoes.
Pack and then halve it. When going on really long tours travel light, buy clothes on the road and fling what you don't need. 57 consecutive late night hotel arrivals with a heavy bag is a real drag. Do the 'ready roll' before going to sleep (if you do) get everything ready to leave the room within 10 mins of waking up.
On hot travel days take a light cool bag and freeze packs, wrap the packs in a flannel and use the flannel to wipe your neck during the journey, extremely refreshing, also one for hot days, get the B&B owner (or hotel) to freeze bottles of water for you, cheap cool water all day.
Get pissed, shag birds (or blokes if you like)

Edited by jakesbass

A list of good kebab shops near the venues, and a crate of Stella.

Just make sure you have fun that's all. I had the pleasure of doing a small tour with a rock band many years back, and it was a riot, I remember it all with great fondness, wish I could do it again now.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='297917' date='Oct 2 2008, 07:44 PM']On hot travel days take a light cool bag and freeze packs, wrap the packs in a flannel and use the flannel to wipe your neck during the journey, extremely refreshing, also one for hot days, get the B&B owner (or hotel) to freeze bottles of water for you, cheap cool water all day.
Get pissed, shag birds (or blokes if you like)[/quote]

Jake.Have yo been sniffing glue? :huh:
Getting pissed and shagging is good..
But do you know something about the UK weather we dont.
Its October. :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

2 sets of spare strings. you shouldnt have to restring after 4 shows if they are fresh on.

if you're staying places overnight instead of going home take a mummy style sleeping bag. 1 pair of jeans 2 pairs of boxers 4 pairs of socks and if you can fit it a pair of shoes (something small like cons or van slipons)

• 2 years later...

MASSIVE BUMP!
Like this list:
Spare bass, several changes of strings.
Stage Clothes.
Socks & Underwear, plenty of;
Earplugs: not just for the gigs.
Books.
Nurofen, Imodium, Durex, Germoline.
Protein bars, muesli bars, nuts (meal replacements).
Flip-flops or similar - if you'll be using showers in odd places e.g. Yoof Hostels.

In addition i've found an amazing bit of kit called an Aeropress which makes the best espresso i've had out of home kit. It looks like a male-member enlarger. Crucial for those venues where all you get is a kettle and crusty cups.

Any more thoughts on this list? I'm van-bound for a month round Europe. Any little ohmygodicouldntlivewithoutmyX gems?

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1222971712' post='297890']
Ah I think one of the guys in A Silent Film works in Gerrards Cross with the guitarist in my band (First Signs Of Frost).

Ummm, four dates isn't a lot, you shouldn't need a loada gear. Spare strings.....ummmm....clean pants!?

Si
[/quote]

Spare pants for four days........ not very rock 'n roll

:)

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1317208103' post='1388025']

Spare pants for four days........ not very rock 'n roll

:)
[/quote]

Yeah you should only need 1 pair of pants for four days. Wear them forward on day one. Wear them backwards on day two, wear them forwards inside out on day three and wear them backwards inside out on day four. See, that saved you space. One pair of socks for two days obviously :)

did a short tour in cornwall over the summer. Lessons learnt; fish and chips down there are damm tastey. Also, take swimming shorts as you never know when you will need them and when the time comes that you need them and dont have any.. You either need to pay well over the top for some new ones, buy asda ones that look like they were styled for angus young or wear boxers and casual shorts and be uncomfortable for the rest of the day

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1317214809' post='1388153']

A caveat being however, how much imodium you are taking. Spare pants take up less space than spare trousers :)
[/quote]

Hey Marvin, you will like this. This is where we used to rehearse before going on tour. Does the posters on the walls look like anyone familiar to you, maybe some Aussie singer :)

[attachment=90383:196643_1002270689848_1017246933_3037_1474_n.jpg]

[attachment=90384:198027_1011918771044_1017246933_51690_1058_n.jpg]