Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So i'm going on tour...

JakeBrownBass

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1317215067' post='1388158']

Hey Marvin, you will like this. This is where we used to rehearse before going on tour. Does the posters on the walls look like anyone familiar to you, maybe some Aussie singer :)

[attachment=90383:196643_1002270689848_1017246933_3037_1474_n.jpg]

[attachment=90384:198027_1011918771044_1017246933_51690_1058_n.jpg]
[/quote]

Now that's a proper rehearsal room, full of character :o
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1317215187' post='1388163']

:)
Better not take All Bran if you're taking Immodium.
Bit like pressing the brake and accelerator at the same time.
[/quote]

You wouldn't know if you were coming or going :o

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1317215605' post='1388179']

Now that's a proper rehearsal room, full of character :)
[/quote]

HEHE In between those two pictures is a giant fireplace. Above the fireplace we also had a giant picture of Billie as well as more pictures of Natalie :)

Phone charger is a definate must have, and i would say so is spare clothes, but i'm always too prepared, its in my nature. I would personally take spare clothes, phone charger, and all the other assorted crap i take to my normal gigs, and i'd make sure to always have a second bass, ready and tuned, even if it doesnt get used.

Liam

You always need more t-shirts than you think you do. Pack spares or you'll have to start wearing your own merch - and unless you're in Iron Maiden that means you're going to look a right whopper.

You'll always end up too hot in the van, even when it's freezing, so don't layer up for the travelling.

Baby wipes, so you can have a festival wash if you can't get near a shower for a night or two.

Take a cool box, stock up on road snacks at a cheapo supermarket - you can get enough food from Aldi to do a 7 hour drive for the price of a motorway services butty! We used to take bets on how much I'd spend on motorway food, I couldn't help myself. Goes through your tour budget in no time!

Oh, and tour rules - the driver gets the best bed, and nobody f***s around with the sleeping driver. Everybody else is fair game.

Sensible ones for the poster doing European touring - be aware of the road rules in different countries as much of mainland Europe requires you to carry warning triangles, hi-vis jackets etc in your vehicle. Oh, and the whole wrong side of the road thing too. Don't forget that.

[quote name='jakesbass' timestamp='1222973071' post='297917']
Save packing space by [b]stuffing socks into your undies[/b] [b]- the ones you wear on stage - .[/b]
get pissed, shag birds (or blokes if you like)
[/quote]

Thought every touring muso did that, or is that just for flashy guitards and songists. ! Oh yeah - Eat bananas, energy, fibre, and you can pack one with the socks.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1317229780' post='1388450']
Sensible ones for the poster doing European touring - be aware of the road rules in different countries as much of mainland Europe requires you to carry warning triangles, hi-vis jackets etc in your vehicle. Oh, and the whole wrong side of the road thing too. Don't forget that.
[/quote]
Top tip!
My mate told me when touring in France there's only one thing you need - French. If you speak it, they'll help you. If they think you're just another elderberry stinkpoo rosbif you'll be in trouble. Possibly a bit harsh on the French...
I know two French sentences:
1) A well known line from Lady Marmalade .
2) She may have been the vicar's daughter, but she had a lovely set of teeth.
Any other vital sentences one should take over there?
Oh, and 3) How much do these pears cost?
Thanks Madame Mabbs!

[quote name='Ukelele Salad' timestamp='1317278600' post='1388865']
Top tip!
My mate told me when touring in France there's only one thing you need - French. If you speak it, they'll help you. If they think you're just another elderberry stinkpoo rosbif you'll be in trouble. Possibly a bit harsh on the French...
[/quote]

True story, it's well worth having a go at the lingo, even if it's just the basics. Most places in Europe you'll find people have an embarrasingly good grasp of the English language (and often a couple of others!) compared to our apathetic 'everyone can just learn ours' approach, but it makes such a difference to just be able to throw a 'please' and 'thank you' around. Never found the French to live up to the stereotype, and people there have always been acommodating and helpful when I've struggled with the words!

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1317214314' post='1388139']
did a short tour in cornwall over the summer. Lessons learnt; fish and chips down there are damm tastey. Also, take swimming shorts as you never know when you will need them and when the time comes that you need them and dont have any.. You either need to pay well over the top for some new ones, buy asda ones that look like they were styled for angus young or wear boxers and casual shorts and be uncomfortable for the rest of the day
[/quote]

Was that you leaping off the railings in St Ives back in August (stark bollock naked I might add) you could have done with some shorts, yes.... :)

Plenty of spare strings obviously, a good DI box, two spare cables, superglue and for non gear items: socks and lots of them (thrust me on that one, nothin better to pick you up on a long trip after a show), antacids, lots of those too. Pub and garage food can be hellish.
+ the usual change of clothes/condoms/toothbrush etc.

Some basic tools for your van (including a jack that will actually fit under a fully laden van :) ).

A folder with all the contact details of venue/promoter, confirmation of arrival/set up times, method and amount of payment etc, and importantly a print out of maps to the venue.

There's a thread on here about the contents of people's gig bags. Might be worth a search.

man its 4 dates, if it were longer than a week then i would suggest and agree with most of the sensible options here. But i would personally just get drunk and eat lots of dirty food for that amount of time and stay that way until you come home! With no pants on :)

But if you want a sensible answer, i bought a little gadget called a Power Monkey, absolute live saver for charging phones and you can get some that charge ipods, laptops etc etc. Well worth paying for!

But yes my proper answer is a LARGE amount of booze!

Dont forget to pack your ego! :) lol

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1317326797' post='1389624']man its 4 dates, if it were longer than a week then i would suggest and agree with most of the sensible options here. But i would personally just get drunk and eat lots of dirty food for that amount of time and stay that way until you come home! With no pants on :)

But if you want a sensible answer, i bought a little gadget called a Power Monkey, absolute live saver for charging phones and you can get some that charge ipods, laptops etc etc. Well worth paying for!

But yes my proper answer is a LARGE amount of booze!

Dont forget to pack your ego! :) lol[/quote]

There's a dude halfway through the thread about to do a month round Europe! Thirty days of no-pants rocking out is going to be some serious chafing!

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1317214314' post='1388139']
did a short tour in cornwall over the summer. Lessons learnt; fish and chips down there are damm tastey. Also, take swimming shorts as you never know when you will need them and when the time comes that you need them and dont have any.. You either need to pay well over the top for some new ones, buy asda ones that look like they were styled for angus young or wear boxers and casual shorts and be uncomfortable for the rest of the day
[/quote]

we did a few dates in cornwall about 2 months ago, didnt even get to eat a pasty nevermind fish and chips... :)

the catering served us ''pasta''

• 2 weeks later...

RAC comprehensive cover, RAC comprehensive cover, RAC comprehensive cover, RAC comprehensive cover, RAC comprehensive cover, RAC comprehensive cover, RAC comprehensive cover. Actually, probably cover with 2 breakdown services as they will usually only come out once in one "Trip".

Bastards

I am amazed at the level of French hospitality - standard day you can quite reasonably expect a quality 3 course meal with very drinkable red wine - even at festivals! Gonna be really disappointed to come back to the british soggy white sandwich and nuclear pasta bake.