Why become a member? ×

Famous Pick Players

cheddatom

I was debating use of picks on a bass with a friend of mine the other day. I sort of thought we'd all moved past this but anyway, to persuade him that it's acceptable I need an example of a great song with a bassline played with a pick, which isn't obviously played with a pick. I'm trying to avoid rock or country, so something jazzy or funky would be perfect. I'm quite surprised that now I'm trying to think of one, I can't. Can you help?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1467023851' post='3080488']
Excuse my ignorance but do you have examples of songs?
[/quote]
I'm reasonably sure it's Kaye playing the higher bass part on the Beach Boys' 'Good Vibrations.' (To be honest, pick any Beach Boys song from Pet Sounds onwards and there's a good chance she's playing the bassline. With a pick.)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1467024765' post='3080499']
that Beach Boys' sound is very obviously a pick isn't it[/quote]

Carol Kaye, as mentioned earlier, played on a lot of Beach Boy's songs. One of note is on the intro to "Good Vibrations".

Here Average White Band with Hamish playing a Mustang with a pick. Nails two myths in one - you can't play funk with a pick and big blokes look silly playing short scale.

http://youtu.be/qSP5yiUbDLQ

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1467024765' post='3080499']
that Beach Boys' sound is very obviously a pick isn't it

I was arguing that you can get the same sound with either technique, although obviously you could do with some EQ and compression to make a pick sound like fingers
[/quote]

I know it's a rock example, but look up[i]Animate [/i]by Rush. The driving bassline sounds quite pick-like but is almost certainly Geddy flapping his index finger back and forth. (I'd provide a link but work interweb and youtube links don't mix too well, sorry!)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1467030586' post='3080575']
I know it's a rock example, but look up[i]Animate [/i]by Rush. The driving bassline sounds quite pick-like but is almost certainly Geddy flapping his index finger back and forth. (I'd provide a link but work interweb and youtube links don't mix too well, sorry!)
[/quote]

That's a good one!

[quote name='bassbora' timestamp='1467026840' post='3080529']
Did Duff (GnR) not always play with a pick? Whole of Appetite is one big pick festival if you are looking for a song
[/quote]
yeah duff uses a pick for GnR and Velvet revolver dont think ive ever seen him use fingers.
He has a slightly different pick style as its not straight up and down but rather diagonally across the string so the pick kinda slides a bit if that makes sense

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1467033025' post='3080610']
I'm after examples which show that a pick doesn't always have to sound "picky" or as above (with the Rush example) fingers don't always have to sound "paddy"
[/quote]

If your friend is not convinced by the posts so far, he is a lost cause. Leave him to it. It's his loss. ;)