Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2016 - thoughts?

taunton-hobbit

I have been watching for a fair few years. I gave up for a bit but I have found lots of great music this time round. Producers too who actually understand the music and show fhe bands. If you just dismiss it all then you have a jaded palette or a crap sound system.

So far we have enjoyed the Syrian Orchestra (Damon Albarn), Chvrches, M83, New Order and remarkably Shibusashirazu, the Japanese jazz orchestra. Huge fun once they get going.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1467399459' post='3083501']
Her success makes her not a bit less dull to listen to imo, what's this weeks excuse for the duff notes in the first three songs? Mic fell into the piano, in ear monitors playing up again? Ha.
[/quote]

At least she has the guts to step up to the plate in front of hundreds, if not millions of people on TV and not hide behind anonymity.
She certainly has my respect for that as opposed to some weak minded people who pretend to be something they are not :mellow:

That doesn't make her music any more palatable to me.

If you feel so strongly about that why don't you use your mod powers to remove both of my accounts, probably do me a favour to be honest and save me being called small minded by a mod in the process. Gracias.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Sorry if it's been mentioned - Anyone catch the set from Mbongwana Star? Love the way the set really builds in energy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03yggrf/glastonbury-2016-mbongwana-star

Who the hell was that young chap in rainbow outfit and silver shorts? Some trendy electronic trio? Seemed popular, but to me sounded like a mediocre X Factor contestant trying to be Justin Bieber.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1467449649' post='3083725']
If you feel so strongly about that why don't you use your mod powers to remove both of my accounts, probably do me a favour to be honest and save me being called small minded by a mod in the process. Gracias.
[/quote]

Because its not a moderatable issue, it's a discussion.
Moderators are perfectly entitled to have an opinion without their role here hindering them.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1467459144' post='3083820']
Well in that case I'm happy to say Adele's music bores me and Billy can call me small minded, at least my comment was in relation to the thread albeit a negative point rather than name calling and off topic, probably both in his list of forum rules ironically, lol
[/quote]

Sorry, but if you read my post, I'm not calling you anything. I'm nearly making a comparison between people who have the backbone to stand up and ply their art and others who hide behind falsities' in order to criticise. I fail to see how I have broken any forum rules.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1467459144' post='3083820']
Well in that case I'm happy to say Adele's music bores me
[/quote] I dont know what it is about Adele. I didnt give her much chance years ago, but after seeing her on tv , she seems so normal and aproachable , and I think that is her appeal. Makes a nice change from the stars that want nothing to do with thier fans except take thier money. I find her quite refreshing.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1467398259' post='3083480']

Fixed.
[/quote]

Don't think anyone criticised her success. Some people find her music boring and depressingly middle-of-the-road. To be fair I can't stand that kind of music but I was there in person and watched 3 songs to see if it would change my mind, but my god I couldn't wait to get out of there fast enough. Went to Arcadia to see ShyFX instead, much better idea.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1467470634' post='3083945']
Don't think anyone criticised her success. Some people find her music boring and depressingly middle-of-the-road. To be fair I can't stand that kind of music but I was there in person and watched 3 songs to see if it would change my mind, but my god I couldn't wait to get out of there fast enough. Went to Arcadia to see ShyFX instead, much better idea.
[/quote] I can see why you don`t like Adele then. A singer to a DJ mixing other peoples work is just poles apart.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1467471161' post='3083949']
I can see why you don`t like Adele then. A singer to a DJ mixing other peoples work is just poles apart.
[/quote]

So is there some rule about not being allowed to dislike Adele now because she is popular? I am sure she is a nice woman and all, but having watched her at glastonbury, the first songs she was singing dull songs flat, which I am prepared to believe is monitoring issues, but when I came back to it, the last song, which I had heard before wasnt flat and was just a bit dull. I like a lot of singers, just her songs do absolutely nothing for me.

Doesn't make her a bad singer, just nothing that I would want to see again, and it seems others feel this way.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1467472821' post='3083964']
So is there some rule about not being allowed to dislike Adele now because she is popular? I am sure she is a nice woman and all, but having watched her at glastonbury, the first songs she was singing dull songs flat, which I am prepared to believe is monitoring issues, but when I came back to it, the last song, which I had heard before wasnt flat and was just a bit dull. I like a lot of singers, just her songs do absolutely nothing for me.

Doesn't make her a bad singer, just nothing that I would want to see again, and it seems others feel this way.
[/quote]No. You can dislike her music as much as you like. No idea where I said anything about a rule saying you can`t dislike her.There are lots of forms of music I dislike, and it is good that there are many choices. Lots of people like so many genres, but my statement that Adele and Shyfx is true that the genres are poles apart, so there is a good chance you would not like her. I like some of her stuff, but I wouldn`t buy any.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1467462892' post='3083854']
I dont know what it is about Adele. I didnt give her much chance years ago, but after seeing her on tv , she seems so normal and aproachable , and I think that is her appeal. Makes a nice change from the stars that want nothing to do with thier fans except take thier money. I find her quite refreshing.
[/quote]

I'm sure she's a lovely lass and obviously some people love her music, it's still a fact that I find her songs dull and I think off key quite a bit, our female singer wouldn't have been happy with those first few songs and we are a low rent pub and function band.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1467460770' post='3083836']

Sorry, but if you read my post, I'm not calling you anything. I'm nearly making a comparison between people who have the backbone to stand up and ply their art and others who hide behind falsities' in order to criticise. I fail to see how I have broken any forum rules.
[/quote]

Who's hiding behind anything or claiming to be better than her without offering their own material for judgement?

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1467471161' post='3083949']
I can see why you don`t like Adele then. A singer to a DJ mixing other peoples work is just poles apart.
[/quote]

It's not singing I don't like. I play in a jazz band with a singer, I like her vocals a lot. In fact there are endless vocalists I love. It's Adele's music I find boring. Especially in the context of a festival.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1467474161' post='3083978']
Lots of people like so many genres, but my statement that Adele and Shyfx is true that the genres are poles apart, so there is a good chance you would not like her. I like some of her stuff, but I wouldn`t buy any.
[/quote]

No, I don't see any logic there, because they are poles apart there is a good chance you wouldn't like her? Why?

Interesting (and not pleasant) view of the average (?) festival 'fan'.
More of a worry to me is that this stuff has been going on now for 40+ years
at Worthy Farm, and Eavis and company seem to shrug and walk....
(no, I don't know what they can/should do, but they seem somewhat
complacent as they count the money).

:mellow:

TBH, I went to glastonbury in 81-82, and it didn't happen anywhere near as much then, but then tents were much more expensive, compared to disposable income at the time.

Having said that, I wouldn't be able to litter like that, I would just feel far too guilty!

Edited by Woodinblack