Why become a member? ×

Lightweight, well-balanced 32" scale bass?

solo4652

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1465677383' post='3070193']
Cort curbow. Dead light. Dead cheap, dead good.
[/quote]

+1 on this.

I have both fretted and fretless Luthite bodied Curbows that weigh in around the 7lb mark and can be had for £150.00 secondhand.

Steve, I've got 3 Bass Collection 5 strings. Just over 7lbs so the 4 string would probably come in less.
Welcome to come and try if you want. You'd pick one up for around £200 and they are pretty awesome, ( hence me having 3 of them ).

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1465848313' post='3071604']
Hi Stuart. How kind you are. The Bass Collection basses have been mentioned quite a few times. I'll do some research and then get back to you if a try-out seems in order. What do you do with that extra string?

Steve
[/quote]

There is a huge amount of info on here. Search for "Obscure Musical Backwaters". Don't confuse the original SGC Nanyo ones with the current versions marketed by The Bass Centre. They are completely different animals.
Extra string? I use them all.

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1465803515' post='3070994']
What about the Vintage V4 P bass clone, I have heard that they are light weight.
[/quote]

Not my V4MTB. That's nearly 9lbs

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1465846781' post='3071584']
Steve, I've got 3 Bass Collection 5 strings. Just over 7lbs so the 4 string would probably come in less.
Welcome to come and try if you want. You'd pick one up for around £200 and they are pretty awesome, ( hence me having 3 of them ).
[/quote]

I'm a big fan of the SB320 and I'm happy to recommend these basses to anyone, but sad to say the days of picking them up for £200 are long gone.

Expect to see adverts for £350, maybe try to get them down to £300. Even at £350 a bass of this quality is still an unbeatable bargain.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1465894009' post='3071836']
I'm a big fan of the SB320 and I'm happy to recommend these basses to anyone, but sad to say the days of picking them up for £200 are long gone.

[/quote]

Speaking of which, this just cropped up on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bass-collection-/152127777256?hash=item236b85a9e8:g:A6YAAOSw2GlXDWR6

I do hope it isn't a Basschatter, but the truth is that this bass is in pretty ropey condition, despite the (brief) description.

If the vendor genuinely believes he can get north of £250 for a much-buggered-about 325 then a mint 4-string 320 will deffo be more than £300.

Quick update, for anybody interested. This afternoon, I played a nice Bass Collection SB301, hoping its light weight would be the snake oil I've been looking for to enable me to play more than 5 songs. I'm afraid not. The SB 301 is about 1.2 Kgs lighter than my Yamaha BB1024, but I could feel my left arm and hand, and my neck getting tired and painful after only 5 minutes or so of noodling. I was using my own strap, and the SB301 was balancing nicely. I didn't feel I was holding up the neck, and it was pretty easy to play. Nothing wrong with the bass - for the money, I was very impressed with it.

Driving home, my left arm was pretty numb and I was losing some strength and coordination at times. My thinking is that if I'm struggling to play a light, nicely balanced little bass like the BC SB301, then there's not much point trying to find something much lighter or easier to play. Just holding a cup of tea up with my left hand causes problems. Time for a re-think about what I'm going to do next in terms of playing bass.

Bit fed up now.

Edited by solo4652

Gutting, sorry to hear that.

An option could be to play sitting? I normally go for a tall bar stool for longer gigs (2h+) as my Geddy Jazz starts to pull my shoulder muscle after a while and ends up hurting down to my lower back the next day. Obviously nowhere nears as bad as your condition but still, sitting lets my leg take the weight and I'm much happier afterwards. Can't say I've ever had any complaints from the audience about sitting either - probably the less they see of me the better!

• 1 month later...

Folks,

My medical woes continue, but I've been experimenting with different basses to find a way forward. I've found that:

As suggested by many B/Cers, a well-balanced bass is just as important as a light one. Holding up a neck-heavy bass while playing very quickly leads to arm and neck pains.

I've cobbled together a waist strap that takes a lot of the weight of a bass off my shoulder. I've discovered that the key thing is to have an extra strap running from the waist to an extra strap pin close to the tip of the lower bout. With my Yamaha BB's, this also really helps with the overall balance.

32" scale helps.

So, my revised shopping list for a bass is:

32" scale
Lightweight. Doesn't have to be as mad/creative/different as I was originally thinking. Just light, that's all. 3 Kgs would be good
It[i] has[/i] to be nicely balanced on a conventional strap with no neck dive.
P/J, or maybe P/MM pickup configuration. I've never really been a J-bass fan but, you never know...
Budget is £500 max

I thought about starting a new thread, but decided that slightly re-orienting this existing one would be a better option. Mods - please do advise if you think otherwise.

Steve

The Aria Pro IGB series had a medium scale years back, PJ configuration. These were often very lightweight and you'd have money left over for better pickups.

A friend of mine who is a tech and obsessed with lightweight guitars and basses suggests headless conversions too, so if you find a bass you like and fancy getting the band saw out....

Good luck mate

Hi Steve - I've had loads of aches & pains with my left shoulder over the years, but I found a shorter scale along with sitting down makes a massive difference.

I know it sounds like a shameless plug & a it's a bit over your budget, but I've just put my 3kg 32" Maruszcyk bass up for sale - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/289364-maruszczyk-medium-scale-jake-4-lightest-precision-ever/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/289364-maruszczyk-medium-scale-jake-4-lightest-precision-ever/[/url]

Hope you're on the mend soon...

Cheers,

B. :)

If you can get on with a 30.75" short scale then look at the SWB-1 from Scott Whitley [url="http://www.shortscalebass.co.uk"](www.shortscalebass.co.uk[/url]) which may suit your requirements. He also has a range of secondhand basses.

I recently had a conversation with a guy gigging an Ibanez SR600 who said he had similar needs (and very painful neck/shoulder problems) and chose that particular model after testing a huge number of others across many price points.

Sounded fine and seemed feather light. I know it’s not ticking all the boxes you’ve stated though.

Not quite what you were asking but if you can get on with a short scale bass then a Danelectro Longhorn bass ticks a lot of boxes. Despite looking like something out of the Pink Panther cartoon they are actually proper basses with a wide range of tones and huge sound. All my basses are sub-9lbs to prevent my back aching next day. But if my back is actually bad and i have to play, this is the one I use - I think it is around 6lbs.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1470161217' post='3103754']
Folks,

My medical woes continue, but I've been experimenting with different basses to find a way forward. I've found that:

As suggested by many B/Cers, a well-balanced bass is just as important as a light one. Holding up a neck-heavy bass while playing very quickly leads to arm and neck pains.

I've cobbled together a waist strap that takes a lot of the weight of a bass off my shoulder. I've discovered that the key thing is to have an extra strap running from the waist to an extra strap pin close to the tip of the lower bout. With my Yamaha BB's, this also really helps with the overall balance.

32" scale helps.

So, my revised shopping list for a bass is:

32" scale
Lightweight. Doesn't have to be as mad/creative/different as I was originally thinking. Just light, that's all. 3 Kgs would be good
It[i] has[/i] to be nicely balanced on a conventional strap with no neck dive.
P/J, or maybe P/MM pickup configuration. I've never really been a J-bass fan but, you never know...
Budget is £500 max

I thought about starting a new thread, but decided that slightly re-orienting this existing one would be a better option. Mods - please do advise if you think otherwise.

Steve
[/quote]

I empathise with your pain Steve, I get bouts of spondylitis/spondylosis...always forget which - the one related to joint wear rather than being Rheumatoid. It manifests as neck, shoulder pain and arm weakness/numbness. I had to sell a particularly nice Limelight 63 Jazz which I'd bought new as a YOB bass because it was exacerbating the problem which was a real downer.

In terms of basses that I can comfortably play when I'm 'having a bout', I've only found one that ticks all the boxes and that's a Status Streamline. I think it's because it's light weight and you can move the neck to whichever position you want and it just stays there. Hopefully that would make your scale length requirements obsolete, however you can get it in 32'' scale if you find one with the bendwell option.

The major drawback is that it's well above your budget, second hand I think a standard one comes in around the £1k mark. If you can find one to try though I'd recommend you try as it could put you back on the road so to speak...you're welcome to try mine but I notice you're a good 90 minutes away.

All the best, Mart

Edited by martthebass