Why become a member? ×

Scratchplates

thegummy

What's the difference between the scratchplates you can get on eBay for a tenner and the Fender ones that cost 50 quid?

There's always going to be markup for Fender branded vs. generic but with such a huge difference I'm wondering if there's some fundamental difference?

I just bought one for my Nate Mendel P bass from these guys after someone on here recommended them. Decent quality and a perfect fit.

http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/precision-bass-scratchplate-pickguard-for-fender-p-bass/

I`ve bought a good few non-Fender ones, but for my latest US Precisions I have bought Fender and they are better quality. But, attached to the body of the bass, does it really make a difference - well yes, to my OCD of only wanting Fender parts on the bass it does. But in reality, nah, not really.

Thanks for the replies. So I take it the Fender ones are essentially just a cutout sheet of plastic with nothing special?

Do the cheap ones have the tinfoil on the back like the proper ones?

Makes me wonder, if they're charging that much markup on a cutout sheet of plastic, how much of the price of their guitars is nothing more than markup because people will pay for the brand?

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1465498339' post='3068835']
I just bought one for my Nate Mendel P bass from these guys after someone on here recommended them. Decent quality and a perfect fit.

[url="http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/precision-bass-scratchplate-pickguard-for-fender-p-bass/"]http://www.northwest...-fender-p-bass/[/url]
[/quote]

What colour did you get for your Mendel? Any pics?

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1465507866' post='3068935']
Thanks for the replies. So I take it the Fender ones are essentially just a cutout sheet of plastic with nothing special?

Do the cheap ones have the tinfoil on the back like the proper ones?

Makes me wonder, if they're charging that much markup on a cutout sheet of plastic, how much of the price of their guitars is nothing more than markup because people will pay for the brand?
[/quote]
yes - i don't see a lot of diifference - if you buy a fender one, you might get a truss rod cutout (as on US standard) but frankly you can do that in five minutes with a Dremel. £7 vs £45 quid makes me reach for the Dremel as I have small drains on my resources to feed. I [b]think[/b] the difference is that the cheap ones are a plastic film (talking tort here) over a white/black/white layered plate, whereas the more expensive tort ones are an actual coloured top layer . However I've never had a cheapie tear on me and no one can tell from more than an inch away.

Yes they do have tinfoil and its perfectly adequate - if you want more you can just add it as long as you keep conductivity

Probably quite a lot, I would say. I would seriously doubt that the Fender branded ones are hand made by seasoned professional plastic carvers deep in the Appalachian Mountains before being wafted over Leo's signature to acquire magic . Just churned out on a CNC machine somewhere like the cheap ones.

Not all cheap ones come with foil - I have only ever bought 2 from eBay, both from different sellers, and neither had any shielding.

Most cheap ones should fit well but of course some won't, so it's a gamble. But you can always send it back if it doesn't fit.

If you are getting tort it's worth spending the extra. The proper stuff that's made from swirled up liquid plastics has a certain depth to it that you don't get from a printed replica.

Edited by dannybuoy

You can get good ones on ebay but you can get some absolute shockers! Other than the general shape/screw hole fitting some of the cheap tort ones look like sliced salami or are just printed whereas the Fender ones do at least have some depth & as ever on ebay you're not guaranteed the item shown in the picture is the one you're buying so it's hard to tell. It's obv less of an issue with plain ones.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1465727135' post='3070474']
I just want a dark grey plate for my Jazz bass. Not finding one anywhere :(
[/quote]

I covered the nasty cheap looking red tort guard on my Harley Benton with self adhessive vinyl. Cost about £2 and took all of 5 minutes including taking off the plate and putting it back on when I was done. Could just get a sheet off dark grey vinyl of eBay?

Edited by Painy

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1465748473' post='3070698']

I covered the nasty cheap looking red tort guard on my Harley Benton with self adhessive vinyl. Cost about £2 and took all of 5 minutes including taking off the plate and putting it back on when I was done. Could just get a sheet off dark grey vinyl of eBay?
[/quote]

You, sir, are a flippin' genius!!! I never thought of that!! :D

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1465749571' post='3070704']
Ordered!

Tell me.....how did you do it? Did you draw a template?
[/quote]
Just stick it straight on as it is (watch out for air bubbles though) then trim around carefully with a sharp blade like a Stanley knife keeping the flat of the blade against the beveled edge and run it all the way around.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1465543909' post='3069074']
Probably quite a lot, I would say. I would seriously doubt that the Fender branded ones are hand made by seasoned professional plastic carvers deep in the Appalachian Mountains before being wafted over Leo's signature to acquire magic.
[/quote]

Is that the northern Appalachian mountains or the southern Appalachians? I wouldn't touch those southern ones with a barge pole.