Why become a member? ×

Warwick basses

dazco

Our FOH guy says he'll quit if I stop using my '85 Streamer. Reckons it's the best sounding bass he's worked with, I keep telling him "It's not the bass , it's the guy operating it :) ".
Anyway, I trust his opinion, seeing as he did FOH for Jeff Beck for the best part of 30 years, and all JB's associated bass players (including Pino).

It sounds great, it plays like a dream, and no other bass comes near it... and believe me, I've looked.

Steve

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='295338' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:48 PM']are a bit "geeky" though. You wouldn't want to turn up to a punk gig with anything other than a black Precision. That's just the way it is :)[/quote]

Lol! We play Anarchy in the UK as an encore number, and I have to admit I always switch from the Warwick to my White Precision for that - I don't think Sid would have looked the part with a Warwick somehow!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='clauster' post='295028' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:37 AM']Tastes change I guess, the world and its wife want classic Fenders and clones thereof. Warwick still make some fantastic instruments. I love my Corvette even tough I'm a Precision man at heart.[/quote]

+1
With regards to Fenders being flavour of the month. They are the one instrument that has remained a constant.

[quote name='Gamble' post='295201' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:30 AM']I never actually hear anyone giving Warwicks a hard time on here, just people asking why they get a hard time! (that's not a dig by the way). All I've ever really heard against them is the neck profile, the price and the dreadful factory setup. The only one of those that's a problem for me is the price!![/quote]

Gamble's bass has shown me that warwicks do have something special about 'em!

Every one previously was a freakin nightmare, intonation's out and actions been higher than a really high thing on stilts...but if that gets sorted then they're a very nice bit of kit :)

I do love Warwicks, but it's now just turning into a one bass fascination with them, as I've owned 2 Streamers ( A pre 92 5 String and a 98 Streamer Stage II which is now Benwhites) a Corvette $$ (I couldn't see the fuss to be honest) and a Thumb Bolt-On 4 string, and really the only one which I held onto for a substantial amount of time was the Thumb. And the only Warwick which causes GAS nowadays is a Thumb NT, as I've always wanted one of those ever since I first saw it on Three Doors Down video on American Pie 2, and Mudvayne happen to be bringing out a new album and that Thumb tone is just taunting me again.

A lot of the reasons to why most people dislike Warwicks have already been said and I agree with them as well, but also I think some dislike them because they associate Warwicks with kid bassists who have no idea which basses do what and just get a Warwick and then insist on Warwick being the best ever, or many hate them purely becuse of being "Furniture" basses and the truth is they have never even played one. Even recently I had my friend come over and see my basses recently, and I still had my SSII, he just looked at it and said "Ohhh Warwicks, I don't like Warwicks", and just being curious I ask as to why, and his answer was "Just don't like them", and then I ask is it the tone or looks or necks etc... and got the same answer, and then I offered him to have a go and he instantly said no, and unfortunatley some guys on here are the same.

As I said I love Warwicks but I don't think I could own one again, other than a Thumb NT, and even with that I don't know how long it would last. I've moved on from them quite happily but I still think the stick they get sometimes is quite unjustified.

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='295410' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:07 PM']Every one previously was a freakin nightmare, intonation's out and actions been higher than a really high thing on stilts...but if that gets sorted then they're a very nice bit of kit :)[/quote]

Really? Never seen a particularly bad setup on a Warwick in a shop myself. Fenders on the other hand... :huh:

sorry to be the voice of dissent, but no, not my bag. The only good Warwick I've ever played (IMO of course) is G-77s. Amazing neck and lovely tone that that I've not heard in a Warwick since.
It's always difficult describing sound in words, but I would describe Warwicks as brittle. And yep, I've played loads, and different models. YMMV.

[quote name='Josh' post='295557' date='Sep 30 2008, 04:02 PM']I do love Warwicks, but it's now just turning into a one bass fascination with them, as I've owned 2 Streamers ( A pre 92 5 String and a 98 Streamer Stage II which is now Benwhites) a Corvette $$ (I couldn't see the fuss to be honest) and a Thumb Bolt-On 4 string, and really the only one which I held onto for a substantial amount of time was the Thumb. And the only Warwick which causes GAS nowadays is a Thumb NT, as I've always wanted one of those ever since I first saw it on Three Doors Down video on American Pie 2, and Mudvayne happen to be bringing out a new album and that Thumb tone is just taunting me again.

A lot of the reasons to why most people dislike Warwicks have already been said and I agree with them as well, but also I think some dislike them because they associate Warwicks with kid bassists who have no idea which basses do what and just get a Warwick and then insist on Warwick being the best ever, or many hate them purely becuse of being "Furniture" basses and the truth is they have never even played one. Even recently I had my friend come over and see my basses recently, and I still had my SSII, he just looked at it and said "Ohhh Warwicks, I don't like Warwicks", and just being curious I ask as to why, and his answer was "Just don't like them", and then I ask is it the tone or looks or necks etc... and got the same answer, and then I offered him to have a go and he instantly said no, and unfortunatley some guys on here are the same.[/quote]

I don't think anyone is that bad!

I have a real issue with the styling of them (they look like drift wood) and the fact that they have such a small body and long neck. I've never played a comfy one, they've always had a crap action and a horrible neck. Also, I'm not into the whole oiled wood thing.

Style wise I can see why they're not currently popular. They neither modern or retro. Seem to be stuck in the 80's.

Tone wise, I couldn't pretent to know. Never plugged one in. The other factors put me off too much.

Like all things, give it a couple a years and they'll become fashinable again and the re-sell value will pick up.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='295713' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:21 PM']I've never played a comfy one, they've always had a crap action and a horrible neck.[/quote]

Have to say I used to own two 1990s Thumbs (NT and BO) when I was in my previous band (death/thrash metal) and the action on each was to die for, exceptionally low and fast. Afraid I sold them because I fell out of love with the looks and wanted simpler tone controls (I am a Luddite who can't work multi-band active EQ).

Being an old 40-something git, I have gravitated back to 'old school' Ricks and Fender P's and J's, like I suspect a number of the others who gripe about Warwicks. But I will definitely support them when it comes to playability and quality of construction.

Firstly to the OP, if you like your bass that's great. If it plays well and has the sound you want, don't let other people's views affect you.

The thing with Warwicks is that they're very polarising of opinion. You don't come across many people who can take or leave them, they either love or hate. I suppose they're not particularly fashionable right now and do have a rather dated image of early 90s Funk Pop and Metal, but give it another few years and that will all change.

As for personal opinions, I'm not a fan. I don't really like the looks and all the basses I've tried except for one just didn't feel comfortable. Most of the ones I've tried have been fretless, because that's what I mainly play, and I found on the whole the necks felt sticky which is definitely not conducive to fretless playing, and on one in particular the edges of the fingerboard were really sharp. Now on a cheap bass that could be forgiven, but not on anything costing over £1000. The one Warwick I did like had a price tag of around £4000 on it. It was nice but IMO not even £2000 nice let alone the asking price.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='295713' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:21 PM']I don't think anyone is that bad![/quote]

Trust me Beef some are, I've done some gigs when all Ive done is get it out of the case and gotten "Ohhh a Warwick, why don't you get a real bass?", I usually ask them if they've ever played one and the answer is mostly No and is the same answer when I offer them a go, and having my friend do the exact same thing was just really irritating, I've no problem with it if the person has a good reason, like you do, then I'm fine with it, it's just when they avoid a go on purpose in fear of maybe actually liking one that bugs me. I do not like Precision basses at all, but I've played at least 8 of them, Fender, Squier, Copies etc.. and still have never been impressed, I guess one day one may impress me enough but I'm not holding my breath, and thats the same for the guys who aren't fans of Warwick.

well as i own two and love them both i must be different. fender bass on the other hand does not really apeal to me for some reason and i believe quality control for fenders varies so much that buying without trying is a no no .
the warwick has a nice shape and i like the action . some find the necks wide but i find i can reach all the strings easily . (must have ape hands lol )
my $$ has so many tones and feels great . i do fancy a rick but cannot justify the price really . might try a jazz sometime but i think i would not part with my $$

Different basses for different sounds. If you want a real rock bass buy a Musicman. If you want a 60's tone buy a Precision. It depends what you're after. If you want a real wood tone, with a fair amount of flexibility get a Warwick.

I still know loads of session players who use them - you just don't seem to get people standing at the front of the stage with them!

We'll be cool again one day! (and in the meantime I'll use my other basses) :)

3 pages in... 1 insult (you'll not be wanting another Wick of me then Luke :huh: )... and I've only just found this thread :)

What was the original question :huh:

As has been said Warwick don't get that much stick but they are out of flavour with the general bass playing populace. The problem is compounded by the fact that the Warwick range has expanded massively over the years and the quality varies from era to era and range to range.

There's also the ongoing debate about Warwick necks... oddly enough Warwick neck dimensions vary massively and several BC Warwick owners could no doubt testify that they own basses that are as pencil slim and shallow as any Jazz bass (the industry standard for describing a skinny neck) and some Warwicks are a nice big handful. You rarely hear Fender owners whinging about neck dimensions because most people realise that if you want a wide chunky neck you get a P bass if you want skinny you get a J bass; unfortunately Warwick don't have that demarcation in their range. As such you can almost guarantee (sweeping generalisation) that people wanting a skinny neck pick up a Wick with a chunky neck and people wanting a chunky neck invariably pick up something skinny :huh: Result = people slating Warwick necks :unsure:

Oh and just for the record...

[list]
[*]Each and every Warwick I have ever owned has been bought and paid for by me, I'm not sponsored so I have no contractual allegiance to Warwick
[*]I think the jack sockets on early Warwicks were inadvertently made with Chocolate and they stink (sweeping generalisation #2)
[*]I [s]love hate love[/s] hate Warwick Thumbs... but I think I may be into double figures with the number I have owned over the last 20 years
[*]I equally admire a lot of other basses (particularly Spector NS basses but I'd still rather play my Streamer).
[*]I still keep trying other manufacturers to find something that bests them in every respect :lol:
[/list]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='295919' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:45 PM']3 pages in... 1 insult (you'll not be wanting another Wick of me then Luke :huh: )... and I've only just found this thread :)[/quote]

hahaha. no
yes
no
(dont you dare tempt me again! :huh:)

Interesting what you say bout jack sockets, no idea if you would class ol' bluey as early, the plugs on my cable are a wee bit thiner than most (a tiny bit) and they don't really like staying connected in the socket sometimes. I've been blaming the cable.

I'm happy to let people talk Warwick prices down, given that I can only see myself buying them. :) Plus, the less people who are playing Warwicks, the more unique my tone's going to be, so please everybody, sell me your Warwicks at knock-down prices. I'll be happy to take them from you.

A friend of mine plays a Stingray in a folk band (or "Your old man bass in your old man band" as I prefer to say) and he loves his Stingray and he's always banging on about his Stingray, but every time he sees my Thumb he picks it up, and after five minutes he always says the same thing: "It's a proper bass this, isn't it?"

Strangely, he never goes for the fretless Stingray I've got standing next to it.

Hehe, I do like the Warwicks. I currently have a 1989 Thumb NT 6, a 2003 Streamer Infinity SN 5, and a pair of the bubinga Corvette 4s (one fretted, one fretless). They are all fantastic instruments.

I've never sold one but I have had a tough time resisting some of the amazing Warwicks that come up for sale at stupidly low secondhand prices.

Going back to the original post, and judging buy the replies there are a fair amount of Warwick owners on the forum. Some with more than their fair share, mentioning no names. The long and the short of it is different people like different basses. I think I've found a peach and will probably get another Warwick should the cash arise. You could probably fine a fault big or small in any bass, not slating Ric's but I find the body too thin and the neck way too fat. Some moan about dead spots on Stingray necks but I didn't notice any on the Ray I owned. I had 2 Fenders which I had no gripes about but others question some of their quality control. If you listen to the opinions of others too much you can get paraniod and end up thinking everything is tat.