Why become a member? ×

NAD - Peavey MiniMAX™ 500 Watt Bass Amplifier Head *Review*

discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464634603' post='3061028']
Marl??
[/quote]

Yes. What is the matter with you boy, it's the Old Wiganish version of Mark, before it was bastardised by them Norman conqueror geezers.
Does thar nay nowt lad :rolleyes:

[b]Marl[/b][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4] or marlstone is a calcium carbonate or lime-rich mud or mudstone which contains variable amounts of clays and silt. The dominant carbonate mineral in most [/size][/font][b]marls[/b][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4] is calcite, but other carbonate minerals such as aragonite, dolomite, and siderite may be present. Just sayin .......[/size][/font]

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1464642517' post='3061124']
[b]Marl[/b][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4] or marlstone is a calcium carbonate or lime-rich mud or mudstone which contains variable amounts of clays and silt. The dominant carbonate mineral in most [/size][/font][b]marls[/b][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4] is calcite, but other carbonate minerals such as aragonite, dolomite, and siderite may be present. Just sayin .......[/size][/font]
[/quote]

That's interesting... now what about Karl??

[quote name='dieseldalziel' timestamp='1464627072' post='3060953']
Great review! I got my Minimax from GAK for £289 a while ago but they don't have them listed now, just the Minimega
[/quote]

Thomann UK currently listing them at £288. Just my luck to have bought one during a crap fluctuation in the exchange rate. :rolleyes:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464643985' post='3061145']
That's interesting... now what about Karl??
[/quote]

[b]Marl pit[/b]
[i]A pit dug to extract nutrient rich clay (marl), which was used as an agricultural fertilizer. Marl pits date to the post-medieval period and often their existence is evidenced through place names.[/i]

I reckon I awwta mow in. Ahhhs roight, what we gawt in nawfuk unt'ut accordin-lie. Jollificearshuns. Just heffin' a mardle.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1464681845' post='3061299']
I reckon I awwta mow in. Ahhhs roight, what we gawt in nawfuk unt'ut accordin-lie. Jollificearshuns. Just heffin' a mardle.
[/quote]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][Dialect word(s) [b]Meaning[/b]. [b]Mardle[/b]. To gossip, or chat: Also, another name for a pond!][/font][/size]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The above quote may take me some time to translate, but I'll get there in the end. :D[/font]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1464683822' post='3061320']
How does it compare with the GKMB200?
[/quote]

It's louder, of course. But I'd say the MB200 is smoother-sounding and more 'modern' overall, though you can get what you would call a 'vintage' sound out of it. The MiniMax I would say is more vintage than modern, though it will do modern, with a bit of work - it gets there. Generally I feel that the MiniMax is more agricultural-sounding than the MB200, which for a little amp with limited facilities is actually quite sophisticated sonically. It [i]is[/i] a G-K after all. But having gigged both I prefer the MiniMax, which sounds better live in my opinion and has more extensive features and EQ options.

Ultimately my favourite Class D amp would be the G-K MB500 Fusion, which is a beast. But it's twice the price of the MiniMax and doesn't seem to have that amp's tank-like build quality. I get the feeling that the MiniMax would be the better workhorse gigging amp over time, IF it turns out to be reliable. It [i]is[/i] a Peavey, after all...

If it does an Ampeg PF500-type 'magic-smoke' job on us then all bets are off, obviously. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1464696182' post='3061484']
...and how does it compare to the Fender Rumble?
[/quote]

The Rumble 500 V3 Combo? Favourably. They do a similar job imho, but of course how the MiniMax sounds is at least partly dependent on which cab you use with it, I imagine. I could happily have gigged the Rumble for the rest of time, but as a lazy git I wanted something physically smaller and lighter while retaining a broadly similar sound and volume level. I think the Rumble would go louder overall, but it's painful anywhere approaching maximum volume, so...

The Rumble is light (16kg) but is an awkward shape and has a top handle when it could do with side handles. My MiniMax, One10, Compressor, cables, leads, stand and other gubbins all fit into a bag measuring 48 X 32 X 30cm and weighs 12kg. That 4kg makes a big difference over distance, as does the shape, which is far less awkward to carry and doesn't bark your shins as you walk along. First-world problems and their solutions, eh?? ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1464680264' post='3061284']
Is the TNT160 standard-setting quality?
[/quote]

It is if you're into Peavey. I'm assuming that Peavey people will be interested in the MiniMax, Peavey's first foray into the lightweight bass amp head market - and will want to know if it's a 'real' Peavey, or just a standard Class-D amp with 'Peavey' printed on the front of it. So for them I am not really comparing the Peavey MiniMax to the Class-D's of G-K and their ilk, I'm comparing it with the tried-and-trusted workhorse Peaveys of yore that are beloved by Peavey fans. In my view this Peavey would fit the bill nicely and endear itself to said Peavey fans, IF, as I say, it's got the legendary Peavey reliability - but there's no way of knowing that at this time. Peavey, Peavey, Peavey!

Edited by discreet