Why become a member? ×

NAD - Peavey MiniMAX™ 500 Watt Bass Amplifier Head *Review*

discreet

[quote name='dieseldalziel' timestamp='1464090079' post='3056446']
They made a Heft switch,turned it all the way up & then broke it off! It's small but has heft :)
[/quote]

You could say the Punch and/or the Psycho Acoustic buttons introduce heft, but I think it'll be hefty enough without them.

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1464089588' post='3056434']
Ah! But is it 'better' than a Rumble 500 Combo?
[/quote]

Like the aftermath of a roast chicken dinner, 'remains to be seen'.

Edited by discreet

We touched on this the other day when I mentioned an issue with running a DI straight out of my bass and therefor having to have the volume up on my bass to get a signal to my tuner (inline from the bass to amp). As a result our legions of adoring fans were getting me tuning up coming out FOH between songs... :blink:

Presumably with the tuner built into the amp you'd have the same issue if you were DI'd before the amp?

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1464159821' post='3056954']
Wouldn't pushing the Tune/Mute button mute the signal to the DI as well as the speaker outs?
[/quote]

It would if you we're running a DI from the amp, but in my experience (on multi band original gigs) the engineer Isn't keen to take a DI from anything other than the box he plonks on top of your amp.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1464160362' post='3056960']
It's early and I haven't had coffee yet... :blush:
[/quote]

Me neither so there is also a chance my post was ridiculous... I'm just firing up the pot in the office... I'll pour an extra one.

Edited by CamdenRob

These look quite interesting, I've always liked Peavey & I could do with a smaller amp for the gigs I get to via public transport, maybe I'll wait a couple of months for one of you guys to sell yours!

I assume the built-in tuner on any amp is more there for home practice over gigging; everyone uses pedal tuners for gigs don't they? Which would make sense as it's easier not to use a pedal at home if you're just having a quick noodle.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1464167446' post='3057032']
I assume the built-in tuner on any amp is more there for home practice over gigging; everyone uses pedal tuners for gigs don't they? Which would make sense as it's easier not to use a pedal at home if you're just having a quick noodle.
[/quote]

Actually I dislike pedal tuners for a number of reasons and have been using a headstock tuner at home and for gigs. The problem is at gigs it can get noisy in the room and as the tuner relies on vibration to work properly, sufficient racket in the room will skew the accuracy of the tuning. I'll certainly be using the on-board tuner in the MiniMax at gigs. The button which activates the tuner is also a mute, so it will be quick and easy to check tuning between numbers if necessary.

Especially with our singer, who likes to ramble on a bit between numbers. ;)

Edited by discreet

I do like headstock tuners but found the same as you at gigs (though they're great for at home).

I was expecting it to mute whilst tuning, though it does still leave the issue of the dreaded tuning song if you've had to use the sound-guys DI-box before the amp.

Looking to hearing one of these though - on paper they look great so far.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1464170483' post='3057082']
...it does still leave the issue of the dreaded tuning song if you've had to use the sound-guys DI-box before the amp.
[/quote]

Occupational hazard. I'll carry a headstock tuner for that eventuality.
I think people are WAY too OCD about being in tune, anyway. :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464171510' post='3057106']
I suppose if you have your bass slung low enough you can get away with it. :mellow:
[/quote]

I have my bass the same height sitting down or standing. It hides the belly better that way.

I used to have it crotch height in case I splashed/dripped during the pre gig wee. Now I just wear incontinence pants.