Why become a member? ×

NAD - Peavey MiniMAX™ 500 Watt Bass Amplifier Head *Review*

discreet

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1464775346' post='3062335']
would you mind chucking it down the stairs? I think that's the real test.
My TNT has taken a lot of tumbles over the last 15 years without any damage
[/quote]

No problem. I'll take it outside, kick it down the street and drive the car over it too, just to be sure...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1464776341' post='3062346']
Fairy liquid down the back of it is always a good test
[/quote]

Good idea! Should probably pour a pint of bitter over it as well to simulate gigging conditions.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1464776967' post='3062358']
now you're being silly. I just need to know if it can handle being dropped down a pub fire escape by a drunken idiot, I don't think that's an unreasonable request
[/quote]

Well if it means getting drunk, I'm up for it...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1464786643' post='3062501']
Well, yes. But done behind a curtain.
[/quote]

I'll do YOU behind a curtain in a minute. *Runs away* :lol:

Other news: Just FYI, I sent the TNT 160 serial number to Peavey to see if they could tell me anything about it, and got this reply:

[color=#800080][size=3]Hello Mark[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#800080]Thank you for your support of Peavey products and for contacting us here at the factory. The TNT160[/color][color=#800080] amplifier came equipped with the Peavey Scorpion speaker at that time, but there was an option for a Peavey Black Widow speaker. These models weighed 77 and 82lbs[/color][color=#800080]. respectively. The Scorpion model speaker could handle 200 watts RMS[/color][color=#800080] and the Black Widow model could handle 350 watts RMS. The RMS[/color][color=#800080] wattage of the amp was 150 watts RMS. The year of manufacture for your amplifier is 1990. Here is a link to the original operating guide from our website;[/color][/size]
[size=3][url="http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80301192.pdf"][color=#0000ff]http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80301192.pdf[/color][/url][/size]
[color=#800080][size=3]If you should have further questions, please feel free to contact us here at the factory and we will be glad to assist.[/size][/color]
[color=#800080][size=3]Sincerely[/size][/color]
[color=#800080][size=3]Mike Brown[/size][/color]
[color=#800080][size=3]Peavey Customer Service[/size][/color]

[size=4]With some difficulty I weighed the 160 on bathroom scales and it's the 77lb (35kg) version, thank God! 82lbs is 37kg. So it's the 150W RMS amp into the 200W RMS Scorpion speaker. Just thought you'd like to know... :D[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1464806936' post='3062807']
Having owned both, the 300W version made the TNT series seem lightweight in comparison. Both did a fair bit of damage to the wheel arches in the boot space of my Citroen(s) at the time :)
[/quote]

Ha! The TNT may be relatively lightweight, but it really makes its presence known when in the boot of my car. I can feel the weight when I'm driving, and definitely don't get such good fuel consumption when I'm carrying it! I don't think the MiniMax/One10 rig makes a significant difference. :)

Edited by discreet

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464698264' post='3061508']
The Rumble 500 V3 Combo? Favourably. They do a similar job imho, but of course how the MiniMax sounds is at least partly dependent on which cab you use with it, I imagine. I could happily have gigged the Rumble for the rest of time, but as a lazy git I wanted something physically smaller and lighter while retaining a broadly similar sound and volume level. I think the Rumble would go louder overall, but it's painful anywhere approaching maximum volume, so...

The Rumble is light (16kg) but is an awkward shape and has a top handle when it could do with side handles. My MiniMax, One10, Compressor, cables, leads, stand and other gubbins all fit into a bag measuring 48 X 32 X 30cm and weighs 12kg. That 4kg makes a big difference over distance, as does the shape, which is far less awkward to carry and doesn't bark your shins as you walk along. First-world problems and their solutions, eh?? ;)
[/quote]

Damn

I was hoping that you'd say that it was pants compared to the Rumble.

I'm finding that the super loud Rumble is too loud on stage and to get a decent volume level I have to turn it down past the point where it sounds rank rotten.

I discovered the One 10 and Minimax separately but together they seem the ideal solution.

I like to have my cab/combo up at ear level so I'll need to look for an even higher stand than the one I use just now.

Ah well I'm going to see if the piggy bank has the requisite funds.

edit - I've just emailed Alex a few questions :P

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1466238329' post='3074296']
I was hoping that you'd say that it was pants compared to the Rumble.
[/quote]

I said the MiniMax compares favourably with the Rumble and is 'broadly similar', but it doesn't sound exactly the same. If you're happy with the Rumble sound but just want less volume you might be better off buying a Rumble 100 Combo, which is loud (for a 100-watt amp) by all accounts and has the same pre-amp section. It's affordable, too. Or if you really want the portability of the One10 then perhaps the Rumble 200W amp head would make a better pairing.

I'm pretty sure the 'voiced' cab section of the Rumble has a lot to do with the way it sounds, too.

The MiniMax/One10 combination might disappoint if you're expecting it to sound [i]exactly [/i]like a Rumble - it does not. Also, a stand that gets the One10 up by your ears would likely be unstable - the One10 is [i]tiny[/i]. A floor stand that tilts the cab up 45-degrees might be a better solution. :)

Edited by discreet

My current set doesn't look too stable either but hasn't let me down yet

[url="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/20150718_202306_zpstvamlu0g.jpg.html"][/url]

I was thinking about something along the lines of [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201587943661?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649"]this[/url] Seems pretty substantial

I had a Peavey TNT150 many moons ago and loved the sound but due to the sheer weight, and this was when I was 18, I ended up trading it for a Trace 7210 combo and never really went back to try Peavey again.

As it would effectively just be a monitor, it doesn't matter how it sounds in the mix as long as I can hear it clearly on stage and with a Sterling it's hard to get a bad sound, even through the big muddy Ashdown cabs at the rehearsal studio. I've just ordered a Radial JDI for my FOH sound so anything that I do with the amp will only be heard on stage.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1466239938' post='3074315']
As it would effectively just be a monitor, it doesn't matter how it sounds in the mix as long as I can hear it clearly on stage...
[/quote]

In that case I would definitely buy a Rumble 100 - purely for the convenience of a combo over a separate head/cab rig. Plus it's £236 from Thomann and it weighs less than 10kg. A MiniMax and a One10 together are going to cost you at least £620, which is quite a lot of cash for a monitor by comparison.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1466241049' post='3074331']
In that case I would definitely buy a Rumble 100 - purely for the convenience of a combo over a separate head/cab rig. Plus it's £236 from Thomann and it weighs less than 10kg. A MiniMax and a One10 together are going to cost you at least £620, which is quite a lot of cash for a monitor by comparison.
[/quote]

Cool - I appreciate your comments regarding this.

Whatever I get would be replacing the Rumble so I'd still get a good amount of money back from that but I wouldn't sell it until I was completely happy with what I had.

The band is starting to get really busy so I'm looking for the best of gear rather than whatever is on offer. I've got a really good bass, I've just ordered a Radial JDI to replace my cheapy DI box and if I can find an amp/cab/combo more suited to the band than what I have now then I wouldn't even think about the money.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1466252020' post='3074422']
The band is starting to get really busy so I'm looking for the best of gear rather than whatever is on offer. I've got a really good bass, I've just ordered a Radial JDI to replace my cheapy DI box and if I can find an amp/cab/combo more suited to the band than what I have now then I wouldn't even think about the money.
[/quote]

I wasn't implying you're a cheapskate. :lol: But no point spending more than you need to, imho. :) Good luck.

It's the unending lure of the smallest, lightest yet still giggable setup. It's the thought of everything I carry into a gig, including my bass, weighing less than 20kg in total

It's not gas as such it's more laziness the older I get :lol:

10 years ago I thought nothing of carting around 45kg Trace cabs every weekend but that just ain't going to happen anymore

BTW after tonight's gig I'm pretty much sold on the idea of the One 10 and Minimax.

Despite the relatively light weight the Rumble combo started getting heavy during the 100 yard carry to the gig. It could have been 2 miles for all I know. It was long enough that I want something lighter. Plus the One 10 fits in a cajon bag