Why become a member? ×

NAD - Peavey MiniMAX™ 500 Watt Bass Amplifier Head *Review*

discreet

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1464033052' post='3055995']
WHITE CHICKEN HEADS, I WANT ONE :gas: :gas:
[/quote]

It well known that chicken head knobs make things sound better.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464031221' post='3055963'][list]
[*][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Psychoacoustic low end bass enhancement[/size][/font]
[/list]
[/quote]

... :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464031221' post='3055963'][list]
[*][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Comes with carrying bag[/size][/font]
[/list]
[/quote]

This is a small detail but good to see... Many builders (Glockenklang included) insist on charging you £50 for a naff quality cobbled together in Bangladesh carry case for that £1K amp you've just bought from them... :angry:

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/smilelypopcorn_zpsc85bd64a.gif.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/smilelypopcorn_zpsc85bd64a.gif[/IMG][/URL]

PS. Am I the only one the childishly sniggers at NAD ?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464035572' post='3056041']
Ah-ha! Review anywhere?
[/quote]

I was in the studio a couple of weeks ago and have reviewed the Headliner 1000, the MiniMega and MiniMax. Keep your eyes peeled for a feature soon!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1464075499' post='3056247']
I was in the studio a couple of weeks ago and have reviewed the Headliner 1000, the MiniMega and MiniMax.
[/quote]

Excellent! Does that mean I needn't bother? :)
More to the point, can you tell us in a word if the MiniMax is any good or not..?

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1464070975' post='3056205']
A bit heavy at 5ib ... only on Basschat... :P
[/quote]

Heh! It's all relative. The MiniMax is 5lb - heavy for a modern 'lightweight' amp - the G-K MB200 is 2lb.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1464071105' post='3056206']
Thffft!.. Stock image. What's next, sound-clips all in the left channel? Oh, how you've fallen. :(
[/quote]

:D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464076616' post='3056257']
Excellent! Does that mean I needn't bother? :)
More to the point, can you tell us in a word if the MiniMax is any good or not..?
[/quote]

Although I'm asked not to do a separate review of an item until it has been in the mag (which is fair) I can tell you that the review is a positive one. Yes, it is good.

OK, first impressions... the fan is quite loud and kicks in from the off. There is obviously no thermal or speed control. I can see this being an issue for some people - if you do a lot of bedroom (or studio) playing, or you do quiet Jazz or Folk-type gigs, I'm sure it could be an annoyance. It doesn't bother me in the least. I'm guessing it will translate as 'no issues with thermal cut-outs'.

Coming straight from my G-K MB200 (which has an excellent core tone) the Peavey, when set flat with the bells and whistles switched off, sounds a little gritty - as if the audio is somehow lower resolution than the MB. Think of a 128kbps mp3 compared with a 320kbps mp3. It also seems bloody loud, but again that's because my MB200 puts out around 120W at 8ohms and I'm now potentially getting 300W, so that's hardly surprising. I can imagine that with with two 8ohm cabs (500W @ 4ohm) this amp would provide more than sufficient beans with plenty of headroom.

Playing along with a fairly loud backing track however, the grittiness isn't apparent and all is well. How an amp sounds solo has little bearing on how it sounds live, with a band - so I'm hoping Peavey have done the right thing and voiced it for the real world. We'll see. As far as the facilities go, so far the 250Hz/600Hz switchable mid control seems very useful. I favour the button IN at the moment (250Hz) which is about right for a more vintage sound. Complaints that the chicken-heads are too loose and have no resistance are unfounded. They're very easy to turn, but positive. They do feel a little cheap compared with the MB's rubberised and nicely-weighted controls, though. This'll be down to that 'bottom line' that everyone talks about.

I'm gigging this Saturday and Sunday, so I'll post a full review early next week. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1464079689' post='3056297']
I can tell you that the review is a positive one. Yes, it is good.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, Dan! I won't bin it just yet, then. ;)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1464080111' post='3056304']
Anyone else think that looks like a droid? But is it the one you are looking for?
[/quote]

Bloop-bleep! Whistle! Fee-oop! Razzz!! Etc.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1464082440' post='3056335']
I used to love the punch and bright switches on my peavey TNT, especially in a live setting
[/quote]

Well there you go. I'll certainly be checking it all out at the weekend. However there is a TNT in our rehearsal room and I tend to use it flat and not use the punch and bright switches, so obviously it's quite subjective.

I'm aiming for a very warm, clean and straight-ahead sound in my current band. There are no pyrotechnics or solo FX-laden set-pieces from this bass player, that's for sure. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1464086042' post='3056379']
Good grief! That's stupidily large
[/quote]

It's all relative... :D[list]
[*][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Dimensions: 10.75" width x 3.25" height x 6.625" depth[/font]
[*][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Weight: 5.6 lbs[/font]
[/list]