Why become a member? ×

Shuker no. 2. Completed with Pics!

MacDaddy

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1470687204' post='3107711']
Correct answer! He he! - Nice. Have you tried the NYXL's yet?

Not long now then!!
[/quote]
Got some on Shuker no1. Bought them at the Herts bass bash, via some awesome customer service from Andy.

Yep not long, just a pity my band is out of action until November, while our guitarist recivers from an operation on his finger.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1463058404' post='3048173']

[/quote]

That's quite a nice/interesting spin on the Kubicki tuning model.

This may sound a little weird/crazy. but go with me as this photo got me thinking - perhaps a little too much - and it's causing my brain to TILT a bit. There's clearly space on that neck to accommodate the extra fret and zero fret to allow the user to drop to a low D on the E string, so why not just take the frets over the whole fingerboard and tune down a full tone to DGCF? (I liked the theory behind Kubicki X-Factor, but always felt it would have been more interesting if the A string had had a double fret extension as well.)

I do understand the concept of tuning down on a regular 34" scale bass, unaware of the scale on this bass I suppose it's feasible a DGCF extension may take the scale length to around 38-40".

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1470741945' post='3108039']
That's quite a nice/interesting spin on the Kubicki tuning model.

This may sound a little weird/crazy. but go with me as this photo got me thinking - perhaps a little too much - and it's causing my brain to TILT a bit. There's clearly space on that neck to accommodate the extra fret and zero fret to allow the user to drop to a low D on the E string, so why not just take the frets over the whole fingerboard and tune down a full tone to DGCF? (I liked the theory behind Kubicki X-Factor, but always felt it would have been more interesting if the A string had had a double fret extension as well.)

I do understand the concept of tuning down on a regular 34" scale bass, unaware of the scale on this bass I suppose it's feasible a DGCF extension may take the scale length to around 38-40".
[/quote]
That's what Chris_b was asking earlier.

On Shuker no1 there is a bendwell under the other 3 strings, so no room there.

For the new build, it's again medium scale (32") having the extra frets across all strings would compromise that. And I'm not sure I could get my head around playing a detuned bass in bands playing in regular tunings, although Anthony Jackson seems to have managed before he went on to 6ers.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1470783492' post='3108514']
And I'm not sure I could get my head around playing a detuned bass in bands playing in regular tunings, although Anthony Jackson seems to have managed before he went on to 6ers.
[/quote]

I suppose that's what I was thinking too! I'm sure there's a science behind the string tension (and perhaps availability of super-long strings too). My mindset was why just extend the E string, let's go the whole hog.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1470870549' post='3109144']
Coming along very nicely. Would look amazing with a clearcoat finish with that woodgrain.
[/quote]
I was thinking something similar and almost changed my mind about the colour scheme. Almost. :)[size=4] [/size]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[font=Calibri,][size=1]
John is still spraying. He said it's taking a fair bit of building up to get the decals level with the rest of the finish and then sanding back, but he should have all the lacquer work done this week.[/size][/font]
[font=Calibri,][size=1]
He's gonna send a few pictures through as soon as it's done, then he'll be assembling and finishing off the neck.[/size][/font]
[font=Calibri,][size=1]
I mentioned that I reckon the strap locks (Shaller type) should be black, and he has some that are going on. [/size][/font]

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Jon: The lacquer work took a bit of doing but is all built up, it required a quick level and then a final coat to smooth things out. He built up the coats with gloss in the end, its actually clearer then the satin (for some reason as its the same stuff but with an additive to make it satin) so that helped to maintain the white look, rather than it starting to go ‘vintage’ looking.