Why become a member? ×

Bass cabinets with casters / castors

Tim Chapple

Does having a set of casters on the bottom of a cabinet make any difference to the sound than if it was stood on its original rubber feet?.

I've just bought a used 410 genz, and the previous owner has added wheels.

Must admit I like the added portability :)

[quote name='Tim Chapple' timestamp='1462809553' post='3045831']
Still more fun than a "which bass is best for metal?" post though right?
[/quote]

:lol: Certainly. The Moderating team would have been immediately called in from all corners of the globe, in order to discuss the suitability of you as a Bass Chat member.

I used to own a Mesa Boogie 1516E cab, that was on castors, I don't think it made much, if any, difference to the sound, if you left it in one place for long enough the castors would sink into the floor under the weight of the cab anyway!

[quote name='Tim Chapple' timestamp='1462809553' post='3045831']
Still more fun than a "which bass is best for metal?" post though right?
[/quote]

Someone will have to step up to the plate. Cometh the hour, cometh the question:

"Which castors are best for metal?"

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1462819766' post='3046021']

Someone will have to step up to the plate. Cometh the hour, cometh the question:

"Which castors are best for metal?"
[/quote]

Which metal is best for casters?

As far as I know the casters won't lift the cab high enough to stop boundary reinforcement so won't make any difference to sound.

I made a point of adding castors to some of my cabs if they didnt already have them and were heavy.

Thing is, do not add the hard plastic / nylon style castors. They make an absolute deafening racket. I fitted 75mm rubber castors to my Beyma / Peavey 210 and it glides nicely with minimal noise

Means i can unload late nights / early mornings without waking the neighbours

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1462809843' post='3045837']
:lol: Certainly. The Moderating team would have been immediately called in from all corners of the globe, in order to discuss the suitability of you as a Bass Chat member.
[/quote]

I've had a good look but can't find a corner of the globe. :ph34r:

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1462809843' post='3045837']
[/quote]
Yes. And I don't think people appreciate just how long it takes us all to get to our secret mountaintop headquarters. Getting the champagne and caviar delivered is a nightmare too.

I have no idea of the answer, but if it bothered me I would fit the casters to the side of the cab and tip it up when I needed to move it.

I have bought some heavy duty casters for my Peavey 410. I intend making a platform with a drawer in it, to go under the cab, and will install my pedalboard in the drawer. I need the cab to be about ten inches off the floor so that my rack, which sits on top, is at desk height. The cab lives in my hobby room, but I often need to get behind it for stuff, so being able to move it without crippling myself would be nice. Being able to slide my pedalboard out of the way will be handy, too.