Why become a member? ×

TheGreek's Mystery Bass Rebuild

Andyjr1515

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1465158697' post='3065758']
Andy, you truly are gifted. Well done!
[/quote]
Thanks :) Not too much flattery, though, because it's a fact that these kinds of projects are much more of a collaboration. Many of the key features that stand out on this restoration were inspired by Mick. Often, all I did was just interpret what Mick was trying to achieve and find a way to do it.
The push for orange was entirely Mick's - I don't think I would have thought of that colour. It's difficult to photograph reds and oranges, but the colour of this in real life is just absolutely right. I'd love to say that was Andyjr1515 inspiration but there was much more of TheGreek involved in that ;)

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1465162691' post='3065816']
Thanks :) Not too much flattery, though, because it's a fact that these kinds of projects are much more of a collaboration. Many of the key features that stand out on this restoration were inspired by Mick. Often, all I did was just interpret what Mick was trying to achieve and find a way to do it.
The push for orange was entirely Mick's - I don't think I would have thought of that colour. It's difficult to photograph reds and oranges, but the colour of this in real life is just absolutely right. I'd love to say that was Andyjr1515 inspiration but there was much more of TheGreek involved in that ;)
[/quote]

I'd like to take some of the credit but the reality is I would say "[i]is it possible to...[/i]" and Andy would make it happen.e.g the curved body, the magnetic electrics cover and I sent a sample colour image - he matched it - and it's true it's much nicer in the flesh ([i]timber??[/i]).

Andy is a craftsman of the highest level - it's his modesty preventing him for taking the full credit.

If you don't believe me - commission something from him (though not just after I sell my Ritter - we have plans!!)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1465157505' post='3065734']
Beautiful, don't you think??

Plays like a dream (neck has a bit more meat than I'm used to but not a problem - we will adapt). I was playing it earlier - hard to decide which is my favourite tone. Time on my hands tomorrow to experiment and decide.

Nice photos...but they compare to what it looks like in the flesh.

I almost feel sorry for the rest of you.
[/quote]

Soundclip soon pleeeeeeease! :)

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1465203476' post='3065979']
Soundclip soon pleeeeeeease! :)
[/quote]
That will, of course need to be Mick. You wouldn't want to completely wreck this gossamer thin illusion of competence by hearing me play!

Mind you, we heard Nick Smith at the Herts Bash give it a REALLY impressive demo yesterday. Might have been video'd?

Just want to add my congratulations to the owner and compliments to the craftsman - I LOVE it!! I'm a great fan of projects that breathe new life into something that's so obviously been pre-loved, abused and then abandonned.

I've just been playing it - for the first time in ages I've had to adjust the settings on my TE 7215 - the pick ups are [i]sooo[/i] bright - turned the compression down a tad and now it booms like a cannon. Don't you just love that feeling of being kicked in the chest by a valve amp?

Obviously still getting used to the SimS p/ups - love the two Hs in combo and also the H/J setting - a few more hours of experimentation needed to decide which is the "go to" setting.

I've been playing it seated and without a strap - Andy's managed to get the balance almost perfect - no hint of neck dive even with the relatively long neck and large headstock. Again full credit to the man. Not sure of the weight - [i]there are no bathroom scales in this household[/i] - but I'm sure it's significantly less than 10LBs.

The neck is not the slim, Jazz style I'm used to but it isn't uncomfortable to play - there will those out there who prefer a Precision/ Wal neck who would love this. Andy had said the action was a bit higher than he normally liked but I'm having no issues with it even though most of my basses have the lowest action possible.

I keep finding myself peeking over the top of the living room table to look at it on it's stand - the photos really don't do it justice - the orange/gold top is much deeper and warmer in real life - the photos really don't convey the true tones and colours.

Very happy with the outcome considering what it was like when I sent it to Andy. No, I take that back...just very happy with the outcome!

Thanks again Andy.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1465219342' post='3066211']
Delighted you are pleased with it, Mick. :)

By the way, it's 8lb 12oz according to Mrs Andyjr1515's kitchen scales that I NEVER use to weigh basses on....
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: I'm sure you'd never be caught using the kitchen scales for weighing basses..

Wow! That's a fantastic looking bass, and a brilliant bit of restoration/construction.

A couple of questions:

1. The extra large route and the block of new wood at the bridge was that to give the bridge something a bit more stable to be fitted to rather than the neck laminations?

2. A while there's no denying that it's a brilliant piece of work and great to see a discarded instrument brought to life, I can't quite help but wonder if it would have been cheaper and easier to have started from scratch with some new wood? ;-)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1465222971' post='3066256']
Wow! That's a fantastic looking bass, and a brilliant bit of restoration/construction.

A couple of questions:

1. The extra large route and the block of new wood at the bridge was that to give the bridge something a bit more stable to be fitted to rather than the neck laminations?

[/quote]

No - much simpler than that. As you can see, I had to infill at the neck to get the neck pickup in the correct place and hide the original rout, but also there were a myriad of drilled holes from the original bridge. The stop-tail routs sorted some of them out but a coordinating piece of walnut to the bridge infill meant I could get rid of the remaining ones

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1465222971' post='3066256']

2. A while there's no denying that it's a brilliant piece of work and great to see a discarded instrument brought to life, I can't quite help but wonder if it would have been cheaper and easier to have started from scratch with some new wood? ;-)
[/quote]

Maybe getting on for as easy to build from scratch, but with the horrifying cost of decent wood, it would have added approaching £400 to the cost.

Besides - and again you see this more in real life than in the photos - it really does now look like a well cared for [u]original [/u]1970s bass. You would struggle to get that same mojo with all new wood...

Good questions, though, BigRedX :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1465228639' post='3066326']
No - much simpler than that. As you can see, I had to infill at the neck to get the neck pickup in the correct place and hide the original rout, but also there were a myriad of drilled holes from the original bridge. The stop-tail routs sorted some of them out but a coordinating piece of walnut to the bridge infill meant I could get rid of the remaining ones

Maybe getting on for as easy to build from scratch, but with the horrifying cost of decent wood, it would have added approaching £400 to the cost.

Besides - and again you see this more in real life than in the photos - it really does now look like a well cared for [u]original [/u]1970s bass. You would struggle to get that same mojo with all new wood...

Good questions, though, BigRedX :)
[/quote]

Thanks for that! I'd forgotten about all those existing extra bridge holes. And I didn't realise that decent wood for building musical instruments was so expensive these days. It's a long time since I made my first electric guitar but I don't think the wood I used cost anything like that much.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1465231335' post='3066353']

Thanks for that! I'd forgotten about all those existing extra bridge holes. And I didn't realise that decent wood for building musical instruments was so expensive these days. It's a long time since I made my first electric guitar but I don't think the wood I used cost anything like that much.
[/quote]
Of course, you could always go the Jabba_the_gut route. Much cheaper wood source but I presume Jez doesn't have many doors left in his house! ;)

I've only had the bass since Sunday so I'm still finding my way around it TBH.

My favourite settings at the moment are the H/J and H/H settings but I want to experiment more. Given a few months I'm sure I'll have a better idea of the range and how to make best use of it. The SimS system is relatively expensive (£426inc VAT for a pair) but if you're planning on holding on to the bass, it's money well spent. The versatility of the p/ups is amazing and I'd recommend them both as a retro fit and as a choice for new projects. Should help with the GAS too (that's what I'm telling myself anyway).

Another factor is what users actually want from their p/ups - we all have different ideas of what is the "perfect tone" - so far the above settings are satisfying my wants but might not work for you. I'd recommend checking YT videos to see what the system can do as a guide and starting point. I'm happy to let people try the bass so if you're in the area...

Nick Smith brought several Enfield Basses to this weekend's Herts Bash giving others a chance to try the SimS system so I'm sure they have something to contribute to this discussion.

Yeah the Sims pups are pretty special.

Having two pickups that can both switch between split coil, single coil and humbucker is pretty special.

Each setting sounds remarkably different and the switching system could not be easier to understand.

Certainly a Do-It-All pickup.