Why become a member? ×

TheGreek's Mystery Bass Rebuild

Andyjr1515

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1462955485' post='3047161']
Think that new back panel will look great!! Might be tempting to change the front one after seeing it..... :blink: :lol:
[/quote]
:lol:

We've got some dastardly plans for the front panels.... B)

The weather gods were obviously still p****d off that they slipped up over the weekend and gave us a couple of days of sunshine, so it proceeded to rain all morning.

Nevertheless, there was inside stuff to get on with - removing the frets.

Here are the essentials:

[list]
[*]A hot soldering iron - to soften wood glue, if the frets have been put in with some glue, and soften the 30 years of crud under the frets that has a habit of pulling off the top of the fretboard with it
[*]A sharp knife to run under the fret sides to break any remaining crud stuck bits
[*]Some proper ground fret pullers...essential to prevent major damage in removal
[/list]
You can see where the tangs have come out (or went in) - they don't matter because they will be hidden by the new fret, but what you are trying to avoid is the bigger chips flaking off the very brittle top edges of the ebony at the fret slots. All frets are out and the damage is relatively light:

In the meantime...dryness has crept into Derby. I'm going to get the outside stuff on the go before the weather gods spot their mistake... :D

Success - managed to get the bandsaw out on the patio and cut the blanks:

...then flattened, keyed and glued the first one (where the oak had already been removed) on. With the mantra a number of us were chanting at the Midlands Bash..... 'You can't have too many clamps!':

It's just started raining again....

....but not before I managed to rout off the other oak panel! :D

It still has to be flattened and the joint line trued up, then glued and clamped like the right hand side one, but this is broadly what it will look like when the left hand side is in place. Both are still oversize so will be also brought down to finish outline and size.

Edited by Andyjr1515

Busy domestic duties day tomorrow, so thought I'd try and get on with this as much as I could today.

With a flush bearing router bit, I trimmed the walnut to shape and size:

Then routed the middle down to the thinnest point for the scalloped back:

I always prefer to go to hand tools pretty quickly on this sort of thing - too much can go wrong too quickly with a router - so instead of routing contours, I set about it with a block plane and this new acquisition - a curved-base pullshave (fantastic!):

Not finished, but I was! I basically stopped when I was k*******d - more curve to create (will end up a smooth concave) but hopefully you see where we're going with this:

Weather permitting, basic body shaping should be complete on Saturday. Then it will be neck and headstock to get straight, slimmed and tidy. :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1463076159' post='3048401']

Thanks, Norris!
By the way - also got a Shinto....brilliant! Thanks for the tip-off
[/quote]

Very nice to use at affordable prices. Some woodworking tools are absolutely gorgeous but ridiculously expensive.

I could do with a spokeshave - what do you use for carving your necks?

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1463077277' post='3048418']
Very nice to use at affordable prices. Some woodworking tools are absolutely gorgeous but ridiculously expensive.

I could do with a spokeshave - what do you use for carving your necks?
[/quote]
Hi, Norris

I use a spokeshave. For most of my builds, I used a cheapo Draper one (but with a well sharpened blade). The last couple, I've used the Veritas one...it was quite pricey at £92 but worth every penny...

Andy

Some great progress this morning - although 'me poor old arthritic joints' are suffering a bit now.

Lets start with the challenges. Not a huge concern, but this is a new split...:

...and the sanding dust revealed a split in the ebony. Again, I am pretty certain the neck is alright and think this will have happened when the body join failed. It does reinforce the need to put a cross-dowel in the neck heel though, just in case:

But onto the progress - continued rough shaping the scallop in the back of the body:

Finished the rough-shaping of the new walnut panels:

Started sanding the body and neck down. Levelled the fretboard...now that's what I CALL a levelling beam!!!!

Slimmed the neck to match the brass nut Mick sent to me:

Not bad for a morning's work....

At last we're starting to make some progress in the right direction rather than just repair....that Walnut is going to look fantastic polished, and the scallop on the rear of the body is looking promising. Keep up the good work..

Edited by TheGreek

Great progress - the splits are frustrating (especially the new one) but I think you're well on the way (and on the right track.). Dowel, spline, and cross-ply as you see fit - it'll be worth it for a solid bass.

Really looking forward to seeing this finished - but I also appreciate the updates and pictures. It's a treat so thanks for sharing.

One of the things that Mick has suggested is to slim down some of the edges to lighten it (visually and actually) and to show off the layers. The lower part of the main body area is more limited because the control chamber has been cut quite deeply. However, the upper area gives a great opportunity.

Dampened down to simulate a 'finished' colour this is how it is starting to look after the rough carve:

Starting to look like a bass...

There'll be calls to "[i]burn the witch[/i]" when this is finished - he's got to be using magic!!

Coming on a treat....Kert, I don't know how you managed to watch yours being built without having anxiety attacks... ;) ;)

Daily fix satisfied for now...

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1463399361' post='3050975']

[/quote]
On seeing this picture I would slim down the heel area as well, there is enough real estate there you can remove. This will also get rid of, or at least tone down, the damage that can be seen there.

Edited by blablas

[quote name='blablas' timestamp='1463400676' post='3050990']
On seeing this picture I would slim down the heel area as well, there is enough real estate there you can to remove. This will also get rid of, or at least tone down, the damage that can be seen there.
[/quote]
Yes - that's planned - it will be slimmed right down as a smooth transition. This was just the first rough carve of the body - (unfortunately) plenty more to do :D

Along with the other stuff, I'm slimming down the neck so will reshape that - I'll do the heel at the same time.

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1463401198' post='3050997']
Good thought - Andy, can you have a think about this please??

Thanks Blablas, nice to have your input (I've seen some of your work..also very nice)
[/quote]
That's an understatement, Mick. Blablas' builds are simply in another league ;)