Why become a member? ×

TheGreek's Mystery Bass Rebuild

Andyjr1515

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1464011381' post='3055721']
Despite the obvious foot-tapping from many following this fascinating topic, it would be more than horrendous to have a tiny slip-up at this late stage, just to get it to the Bash on time. Better a week late than a daft blunder (yes, we've all been there, and too often for some..!). You're the Boss, of course, but please, please, don't rush this.
Besides, it'll give us all a few more days of blissful suspense and eager eye-balling. Take the time for a cuppa or three now and again (or more, if the bladder can stand it...). B)
[/quote]
:D

Don't worry, Dad3353. When there's a real deadline like this, I go into an ultra-careful mode...simply because I know there is no room for even a small tweak to put something right. This routing and fill-in was pretty much the most careful and accurate of any similar task I can remember doing.

There are still some scary bits to do, but fewer than there were!

This evening I'll glue the infills so that I can route the bridge and stop-tail recesses tomorrow. If those go OK, there is only one really scary bit left - the control chamber. I can start the finishing process before I need to do that to give me plenty of time to think through exactly how best and how to do it. :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1464016517' post='3055768']
There are still some scary bits to do, but fewer than there were!

This evening I'll glue the infills so that I can route the bridge and stop-tail recesses tomorrow. If those go OK, there is only one really scary bit left - the control chamber. I can start the finishing process before I need to do that to give me plenty of time to think through exactly how best and how to do it. :)
[/quote]

I was surprised that you didn't fill in the existing control cavity completely while the back laminations were off, with a view to routing a new and more elegantly shaped one.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1464040561' post='3056096']

I was surprised that you didn't fill in the existing control cavity completely while the back laminations were off, with a view to routing a new and more elegantly shaped one.
[/quote]
I know what you mean, but almost certainly the new cavity will be bigger all round than the old one, so it will all be routed out anyway.

The challenge with the rear cavity is actually that the back is now curved - that adds a few challenges ref the template, but hey, it'd be boring if there weren't more challenges around ;)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1464043105' post='3056126']
I know what you mean, but almost certainly the new cavity will be bigger all round than the old one, so it will all be routed out anyway.
[/quote]

Bigger? I await the next development with interest!

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1464090879' post='3056457']
Just throwing out an idea - how about a veneer top, to create another "peeled layer" at the sides (by not extending it all the way)?

Though I suppose the walnut blocks add some mojo... amazing progress either way :)
[/quote]
Don't put ideas in Mick's head! :lol:

Seriously, though...Mick and I have a dastardly plan for the top that won't be revealed until it's done.

In fact, this is probably the last shot before it's done - I'm in close contact with Mick ref the finishing, but I don't want to give away the final look until it's basically done.

Other than the control chamber, the last structural thing was to recess the bridge and stoptail.

If you remember, Mick's preference was a t-o-m bridge and also to be able to use his standard medium length strings. Because the neck has no angle (a t-o-m bridged bass would usually have a neck angle of around 5 degrees) the bridge and stop tail needed to be lowered. Also, to be able to accommodate medium length strings, the bridge needed to be closer to the stoptail than you might normally see. This has advantages, nevertheless, for the break angle.

Routing is too dodgy at this stage if there is any other way of doing it, so I forstner'd it and tidied up with a chisel:

These aren't Mick's strings - they are just some spares I use to line everything up:

So...the public posts might drop to few and far between over the coming week ;)

The good news is that it would now need a pretty unexpected catastrophe for this not to be ready to hand over to Mick at the Herts Bash :D I know that's tempting fate but, what the heck....

The most precise joints and fitting of inlays (simple geometric patterns like a block inlay all the way to insanely complex multi-inlay pictures) are all possible with good co-ordination and a set of sharp, sharp chisels. Even after prescise routing a chisel is handy to get a "too tight" fit "just right" allowing some glue to stay in the joint when it's malleted shut!

The work is coming along nicely. I wouln't choose a TOM style bridge & tailpiece personally - but I think the gold will look lovely on the finished product.
Can't wait to see what the "big secret" is on the top.
- Followed! B)

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1464128783' post='3056867']
What an incredible build, can't wait to see the finished article. I reckon whoever came up with the phrase 'Go do the voodoo that you do' probably had you in mind, Andy :D
[/quote]

Probably closer to the truth is the general belief we all share that 'When it works, it's my skills and experience. When it falls to pieces or looks, frankly, s**t....it's all down to some really bad magic at work!' :D

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1464195411' post='3057457']
Could you angle the saddle block back about say 30 degrees so that there's clear access to the intonation screws?
[/quote]
To be honest, it's not a problem. Bit of a faff first time round, but it's very rare that the intonation will change once set correctly assuming same type of strings. Nowhere near as big a faff as the old fender truss rods!!!! :)

Remember the control chamber that looked like it had been attacked with a masonry chisel?

Well, call me all heart, but I thought I ought to tidy it up a bit before I passed this across to Mick.

The Sims Super Quads have some fancy switches and fairly hefty wiring looms, plus a 9v battery for the LEDs. I did some mock-ups over the paper impression I did at the start of the process to see if everything was going to fit in an expanded and smoothed out chamber:

You can see the outline of the original chamber on the piece with the rough sketch at the top. By the way, this is a top tip learned from my veneering jobs - ALWAYS take a paper impression of the screw holes and chambers before you cover any of them over!

It all looked like it was going to fit so I forstner'd the chamber, then made an MDF template and finally finished off with a router with a bearing flush trimmer. Finally, I whistled round with a larger cutter with a small bearing to create the shelf for the cover to flush fit into. Finally, placed all the major bits (except the wiring looms) in to see if I'd got the dimensions right:

I was able to use three of the four original holes :)

Next was rounding of the fret ends, using this opportunity to also check that all the frets were fully seated and secure in what were old and slightly wide slots:

Thankfully, there was only one fret with a loose end. Wicked some cyano in and clamped it down before the final levelling and polishing. Unless there is major, major crowning required, I use various grades of wonderful 'micro-mesh' abrasive cloths wrapped round my crowning file to both do minor levelling and polishing:

There is still a lot to do before next Sunday, but I think I'm past anything that could now go disastrously wrong....so it's now looking pretty good for the 5th! :D

Andy

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1464448915' post='3059558']
I thought we were going to keep the relic'ed 3T sunburst a secret...ooops, did I let that slip out??
[/quote]
It's OK, Mick. Just so long as we don't mention the purple static-electricity-applied velvet scratchplate, nobody will suspect just what this is going to look like ;)

Bugger!

Andy and I have decided no more photos till the Bass is complete - same for you and me - seems a shame you can't see the latest pics with the pink and purple glitter - next outing for it will be the Herts Bash next Sunday where I, and anybody attending, will get to see it in it's full glory first hand.

Frankly I can't wait...the countdown begins here..

Edited by TheGreek