Why become a member? ×

NBD: expecting opinion to be divided!

uk_lefty

So I got the chance to play a headless Hohner. The Mrs told me to treat myself as I liked the tone and she knows I love Mark King and anything 80s so she said go for it. I wanted a day or two to think about it and on my actual birthday found one in better condition with the fitted hard case going much cheaper on eBay. I bought it saving 100 quid and getting an immaculate condition fitted hard case too.

As I have neither a headless nor an active bass of the three I already had the purchase is justified and at a price I can turn a small profit if I need to move it on. The tone is nice and full with far more bottom than I would expect and its amazingly comfortable though weirdly the neck feels two frets longer than most.
I need to re string it and clean a little but it's in good nick. I don't yet see how it would fit with any of my previous bands on stage but for recording and lugging around for jams it would be perfect. Far better sound than I had expected.
Does it have a future as a collector's item? I have no idea. I get the impression the hohners aren't as collectible but the active electronics makes them stand out from the steinberger spirits. They are a very marmite bass, my band are already bullying me over it! :)
Here's a link to some pics:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B46HIatpzhWyRXpNQUpXYmJfMzA/view?usp=docslist_api

Being left handed my choice is very limited I'm sad to say. I would much prefer a "bodied" headless bass but unless I find a hohner Jack or steinberger spirit at the right time and right price this is the closest I'll get.
My band do all hate it without having seen or heard it.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1458215349' post='3005623']
As the OP already knows they divide opinion I'm afraid I'm going to have to say I've never seen one played in a pub where the operator of it didn't look a total douche bag! Sorry if that's too honest, lol.
[/quote]

Got to admit of my four basses even my pointy five string fretless Kramer has more "street cred". Nothing is cooler than a white Fender p either. I am not sure this one will ever be used on stage unless I'm standing behind a wire mesh screen

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1458216328' post='3005643']

Got to admit of my four basses even my pointy five string fretless Kramer has more "street cred". Nothing is cooler than a white Fender p either. I am not sure this one will ever be used on stage unless I'm standing behind a wire mesh screen
[/quote]
The only way you could escape being the most un cool band member would be if you employ a keytar player!

I occasionally find myself fancying a bass like this, until I remind myself it's not a Precision!

I used to own and gig a Hohner Jack but playing it now (as it belongs to Mr Axe jnr) it sounds a bit thin. That's probably down to the J pickups - the OP's looks like it has humbuckers.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1458216665' post='3005650']
I occasionally find myself fancying a bass like this, until I remind myself it's not a Precision!

I used to own and gig a Hohner Jack but playing it now (as it belongs to Mr Axe jnr) it sounds a bit thin. That's probably down to the J pickups - the OP's looks like it has humbuckers.
[/quote]
It does

Our rhythm gittard actually owns a Washburn of the same ilk , and i found it a pain in the buttockial region when i tried it. It hung at a completely different point to where my headed basses hang, and so i found i was playing the wrong frets at first, thinking my fretting hand was at the same position as it normally was.

And the lack of headstock freaked me for a bit. I'm sure if i played one for longer, i'd get used to it cosmetically and functionally and of course, they are popular with many bassists, including other headless axes like the beautiful Statuses

Call it a lack of talent and unable to adapt, but i couldnt hack it ... my bad !